Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

IMPORTANT SAFETY ADVICE FOR ALL EXTRACTORS!!!

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 opiatoker

opiatoker

gizmologist

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:56 AM

Vinegar doesn't really "BURN" flesh wounds although it does sting a little, and I don't think Cap ever endorsed it for HCl or H2SO4.

Having said all that, I never knew that NaHCO3 would lower the pH of strong alkaline solutions so I guess I could see the benifit of having it around although I'll stick to using vinegar until it's proven that NaHCO3 does a better job.

I would like to add here that protective gear like long gloves, goggles/face shield, etc is more important. Prevention rather than cure.

EDIT: Missed that post above. Looks promising.

true prevention is better than cure. but when dealing with such dangerous materials, there must be a safety net. sh*t happens sometimes that is beyond ones control.

and i am just assuming that there are people out there who don't follow the teks word for word or think they remember what to do. you know.... like quickly adding NaOH crystal to the bottle with the solution from the A/B? imagine the volcano eruption that would cause... to the roof, i tell you.

having the safety net will not stop people from making stupid mistakes, but it will help them resolve it as quickly as possible if it does happen.
  • BlueBruiser likes this

#22 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:32 PM

true prevention is better than cure. but when dealing with such dangerous materials, there must be a safety net. sh*t happens sometimes that is beyond ones control.

and i am just assuming that there are people out there who don't follow the teks word for word or think they remember what to do. you know.... like quickly adding NaOH crystal to the bottle with the solution from the A/B? imagine the volcano eruption that would cause... to the roof, i tell you.

having the safety net will not stop people from making stupid mistakes, but it will help them resolve it as quickly as possible if it does happen.

i guess the main thing to know is to lose your ego and follow the teks for the first dozen or so times so you know it like clockwork. find the best tek through trial and error that suits your needs (vovin and whatcha are hands down my 2 favs), practice at least a half dozen times before not looking from the paper to table every 30 seconds :D

#23 opiatoker

opiatoker

gizmologist

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:35 PM

i guess the main thing to know is to lose your ego and follow the teks for the first dozen or so times so you know it like clockwork. find the best tek through trial and error that suits your needs (vovin and whatcha are hands down my 2 favs), practice at least a half dozen times before not looking from the paper to table every 30 seconds :D

that is excellent advice. but no matter what anyone sayd or does, there will be someone who doesn't follow the teks by the number. just the same as there will always be someone j walking when the crosswalk is only 20 foot away. (like me)

#24 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:43 PM

also if youve never done an extraction before or even the second time or when learning new 'teks' be sure to do a 'dry' run mimicking what you are going to carry out during the actual process. real important imo.

#25 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:46 PM

anticipate any possible mistakes :thumpup:

#26 Caljet666

Caljet666

Dumbass

• Expired Member
  • 368 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:39 PM

Yeah it's good to have the safety net.

One thing I want to add, rather than just follow the tek word for word, people shouldn't do this without understanding the chemistry of what's going on. The know how for A/B's isn't real hard to learn, and once you've learnt it, you won't even need a tek. Swim has never even had notes to follow in an extraction, let alone followed a tek word for word.
  • Phineas_Carmichael and like this

#27 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:07 PM

Yeah it's good to have the safety net.

One thing I want to add, rather than just follow the tek word for word, people shouldn't do this without understanding the chemistry of what's going on. The know how for A/B's isn't real hard to learn, and once you've learnt it, you won't even need a tek. Swim has never even had notes to follow in an extraction, let alone followed a tek word for word.

i agree but for the beginner who decides he wants to try this amazing molecule has no chem background or wish to gain any background whether conciously or not he can follow the tek like a recippe and be fine. but safety and knowing proper lab technique like using a fume hood is a no brainer u can build one for 25/30 bucks. also not many will heed your advice. people tend to go along with what they say as a diy type thing of some sort. i cant say thats the right way of going about it wither. learn the ways of the a/b and its real simple from there. good point.

#28 Phineas_Carmichael

Phineas_Carmichael

Hooloovoo

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,947 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:19 PM

...the beginner who decides he wants to try this amazing molecule has no chem background or wish to gain any background...

This person has no business working with:
A. Strong Acids
B. Strong Bases
C. Flammable Solvents

Knowledge is power
Ignorance is death
  • buteo likes this

#29 Battlr

Battlr

Wandering, But Not Lost

• OG VIP
  • 232 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:55 AM

Wow, thank you for testing that out on yourself, Phineas!
Duly noted, thank you SO much!
True scientist, you are.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Phineas_Carmichael again."

Heh.

-Battlr
  • Phineas_Carmichael likes this

#30 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:41 AM

This person has no business working with:
A. Strong Acids
B. Strong Bases
C. Flammable Solvents
Knowledge is power
Ignorance is death

i was speakin hypothetically. as stated above, many will not heed the advice we give no matter if it were plastered in big bold red letters
(which isnt a bad idea to list on all extractions/dangerous teks)

i agree whole heartedly with you.

#31 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:45 AM

the tek originated with mushroom growing techniques.
now that people are making dmt write ups, theyre calling them teks also and selling them to the masses with instructions (take marsofold's for ie) that read like youre baking cookies, i mean unless your tek reads like vovins or similiar and the ignorant are too lazy to even research what all the scientific stuff means and how it all works together and why each step is done, youll always have people being sloppy and without any prior chem background or even basic knowledge attempting these things as long as theyre easy to follow and dont make you think... dig what im tryin to say?

#32 opiatoker

opiatoker

gizmologist

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:31 PM

the tek originated with mushroom growing techniques.
now that people are making dmt write ups, theyre calling them teks also and selling them to the masses with instructions (take marsofold's for ie) that read like youre baking cookies, i mean unless your tek reads like vovins or similiar and the ignorant are too lazy to even research what all the scientific stuff means and how it all works together and why each step is done, youll always have people being sloppy and without any prior chem background or even basic knowledge attempting these things as long as theyre easy to follow and dont make you think... dig what im tryin to say?

i dig....

imo, the most important tek discussed here is the one described in the original post... up top. :eusa_booh

#33 space-cosmonaut

space-cosmonaut

seeing is believing

• Expired Member
  • 342 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:29 PM

Thanks opiataker for the pointing out safety. In the few extractions i have done I have always worn goggles that fit snug against the face. I use solvent resistent gloves that can be bought at hardware stores. I wear long sleeves or better yet a thick jacket, pants and shoes. Ventilation, and having a fire extinquisher nearby is good too. I value my vision and skin too much to take a risk. Oh and i have vinegar too.

Edited by space-cosmonaut, 27 March 2010 - 08:10 PM.

#34 whatchamacallit

whatchamacallit

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:02 PM

Well, I'd suggest reading the bottles of all your chemicals before using them, and learning what precautions you need to take, as well as what to do in case of an accident. What I posted earlier about how to deal with lye on the skin, is exactly what it says to do on the bottle..

#35 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:26 PM

i forgot to mention a fume hood is absolutely necesary unless you are working outdoors and even if in a barn or shed you want fans and ventilation. never work in basements or anywhere a pilot light could trigger an explosion (which i think someone mentioned.) a simple fume hood is a duct fan from hopme depot for 20-30 bucks, a length of duct, a clamp if you want to be anal and safer, a clothes hanger, a hook or four, and a nearby window. oh yeah, and if you prefer u can make the actual hood part with a cardboard box on its side with a hole cut in its bottom, then the ducting coming thru the back (bottom) secure with duct tape. line with a sham-wow in case of any spills, and use a cardboard box not a rubbermaid because of the flat bottom you could let things evap on the flat surface. a rubbermade has grooves and angles you dont want to worry about.

#36 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,862 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:57 PM

a simple fume hood is a duct fan

make sure your fan has a brushless motor, or is intrinsically safe. if not then you have a real potential for disaster. electric motors with brushes are not to be used in an environment that may contain flammable vapors. this is because the brushes by there design emit sparks the whole time power is applied. yes, you may have gotten away using this type of fan many times before, but eventually you are going to have to pay the piper. in case you are wondering unless specified by the manufacturer your fan or motor has brushes and is not appropriate for this type of work. just like gloves and goggles these are key pieces of personal protective equipment.

:horse:

#37 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:01 PM

make sure your fan has a brushless motor, or is intrinsically safe. if not then you have a real potential for disaster. electric motors with brushes are not to be used in an environment that may contain flammable vapors. this is because the brushes by there design emit sparks the whole time power is applied. yes, you may have gotten away using this type of fan many times before, but eventually you are going to have to pay the piper. in case you are wondering unless specified by the manufacturer your fan or motor has brushes and is not appropriate for this type of work. just like gloves and goggles these are key pieces of personal protective equipment.

:horse:

yup i have gotten away with it. thats a good point tho. friction could cause a spark i never thought of that. not sure if the duct fans from depot have brushes, i dont have a box to look at :rolleyes: im sure if what you say is true then they do. i have seen brushless motors on the market and wondered why. thanks for the insight :thumbup:

#38 opiatoker

opiatoker

gizmologist

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:16 PM

you can get a variety of very good brushless fans from fry's electronics anywhere from $2 to $30, but $5 - $7 are sufficient.

they are in the computer components section. you know.... computer case fans. brushless, and really push the air around.

#39 bumber

bumber

Sporocarpus Fruiticus

• Expired Member
  • 308 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:03 AM

you can run your duct fan in the dark (in a safe, non fume area) and likely see the sparks if it makes any, it will be a bright blue type color not really sparks shooting all over the place. This is kinda for people who dont really now what to look for or buy a second hand fan/blower etc.

Not saying you should try this, but you could...dont get your hair or fingers caught in any fans or belts, any shit like that :lol:

#40 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,862 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:11 AM

i would only use a fan that was labeled as brushless or intrinsically safe. if it is it will be labeled on the box and or the motor.

http://en.wikipedia....ntrinsic_safety

http://en.wikipedia...._electric_motor

protect yo neck!!!!!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!