29 replies to this topic

#21 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:28 PM

think this has to be one of my all time favorite instruments. its great if your working in a flowhood or shmuvbox and have airflow. won't blow out or anything. and it solders metal.

Posted Image

i 2nd the bleach wipes. those things are awesome.

#22 koldj

koldj

Wounded Healer

• Expired Member
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:27 PM

My tip may be a little diferent than yours but still...

- If you have one of those huge travelling bags... it may be a great container for a stealth grow or an incubation chamber.

#23 zodd

zodd

walk towards the light

• Expired Member
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:39 PM

hay hyph. bought one of those cheap shredders the other day thanks to your recommendation.

really happy with mine. cost me £80 including delivery, and in about 30 mins i had 5 bin liners full of wood chips, which if i was out sourcing would have cost me a good £32 at least.

the only problem i had was with the fresh shoots at the the ends of the branches. the shredder doesn't like them much and tends to spit them out into smaller but still intact lengths. think ill cut these off when i next do any shredding, but other than that I'm well chuffed :D

#24 somalick

somalick

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:42 PM

I've posted before about finding foodsaver vacuum sealers @ goodwill for under $10. They are great for storing the fruits of your labor, spore prints, or whatever. They can also be used in place of an impulse sealer for spawn bags. I also find tons of Mason Jars which they sell for 29cents a piece and timers, fans, plastic tubs etc. Good will can be a treasure chest for this hobby.

#25 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= In The Flow =-

• OG VIP
  • 2,015 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:44 PM

I'm not a fan of polyfill, although it does work great. I just have trouble keeping my plugs from falling into or out of the tubs. So I've been experimenting with micropore tape, as a replacement. It works great, but the only drawback is that I can only find it locally in rolls like scotch tape would come in. 3/4" x 10yds. So I went on ebay and found something much bigger, better and cheaper! 3" x 10yds, box of 4 for about $10 shipped. Thought I'd pass this along.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0242 - Copy.JPG
  • 100_0241 - Copy.JPG

#26 Guest_valleyofmushies_*

Guest_valleyofmushies_*

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:45 AM

thx for the leaf hog name drop hyph....looked it up,,,made me more confident on getting one soon...i'm back in apt. and need to make quick work of a bale of straw....thx ...and thx walmart online shopping. 58$ woot

#27 slowmow

slowmow

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 145 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:36 AM

I bought a Xbox intercooler at a yard sale. Got it home tore the fans out and wired it to a hobby battery. Great for FAE in monos.

#28 iamsmiley

iamsmiley

the ice woman

• Expired Member
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:49 AM

i found that furnace motors/rat cages out of old house furnaces to make good laminar flow hoods if cleaned really well,actually i found everything to make my flow hood except my filter itself in the garbage.i like garage sales for canning supplies and i even found one of my pc's in a pawn shop.wal-mart seems to have good tubs i like them with clear lids.i have found lots of shelves and even tables in the garbage even my lab chair.i don't care if a table is old fashioned as long as i can clean it easy.

#29 SilvrHairDevil

SilvrHairDevil

Gatekeeper

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:43 AM

You found clear-lid totes at Wallyworld?

That is a good tip.

#30 mushmind

mushmind

campus radical

• Expired Member
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:22 AM

If you live anywhere near a university or a good sized college, they typically will have an annual or semi annual sale of surplus items. You can get bookshelves for your work room, desks/tables and mini fridges which are great for cold dunking shiitakes or storing substrate you can't get to right away. You can keep the mini fridge a helluva lot cleaner than your food fridge too, unless you're OCD like me. :lol: I've seen lab equipment too, anything from glassware to bar scales.

I also second Harbor Freight; i started flipping through their paper catalogs at work, and found plenty of stuff to drool over. Bought my first digital scale from them. Their customer service is pretty good too, the scale arrived broken and they shipped out a replacement immediately. Didn't even require me to send the broken one back. If i was less ethical, i could have scored a free scale and had 2!

U-line is a good place to get bulk plastic bags and sheeting as well.

I bought an adjustable hole saw at harbor freight which I used to cut arm holes for a glove box but could be used on nearly any size hole under like 9 inches. across

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!