Papa Smurf

• Expired Member
  • 798 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:29 PM

I started studying Aquaponics after reading this thread:

http://mycotopia.net...aquaponics.html

and referenced it back to an earlier thread by hippie:

http://mycotopia.net...el-reprint.html

As usual, I was extremely interested but too broke to do anything until a friend called me out of the blue one day and says "You want that aquarium I got?"

Seems the boys were bored of it and the old lady was tired of feeding the fish and cleaning the damn thing, so I found myself the proud owner of a 20 gallon aquarium full of rocks and glass thingy's and about 3 gallons of water, the bubble stone, the pump, and a jar with two fish!

Damn, knowing there was enough beneficial bacteria on the rocks and in the filter so that I might not have to cycle it again, I proceeded to clean it and put the two poor fish in their new home.

I was careful to not clean the rocks and save that two gallons of water, as well as not cleaning the filter, all in hopes of not losing the beneficial bacteria until I could stabilize the system. I warmed the fresh water to 70 degrees and tossed everybody in there.
Well, everybody lived and this is where I'm at now...

http://mycotopia.net...88&d=1270603507

http://mycotopia.net...89&d=1270603507

Attached Thumbnails

• AquaponicsStage1 002.JPG
  • AquaponicsStage1 001.JPG

Edited by shroom57, 06 April 2010 - 08:30 PM.
Damn preview keeps stripping out linebreaks!

• usagolden and Psoulocybe like this

#2 Erkee

Erkee

Trolls'R'us

• Expired Member
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:44 PM

:bow:
Nice!
Beautiful.

#3 Guest_TaterBoard_*

Guest_TaterBoard_*

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:09 PM

nice keeps us updated im planning something similar in the near future...
  • morfin-56 likes this

#4 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:02 PM

:cool:

#5 usagolden

usagolden

A Tin Can Banana

• OG VIP
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:09 PM

very interesting!

#6 shroom57

shroom57

Papa Smurf

• Expired Member
  • 798 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:25 PM

I'm moving slowly because I don't have a proper test kit for chlorine and ph yet, just mostly playing it by ear. I was lucky that the tank was already established.

I'm seeing that the tray with the plants in it acts like a settling tank, precipitating out a lot of stuff that the filter would normally have to deal with.
I dipped out two gallons of water last night to make nutes for my other green stuff and added back new water.

It seems even with the two small fish, I could support a lot more plants than I have now. I'm trying to make small adjustments to not endanger the fish...Hell, Suzy already jumped out onto the floor and was lost!

All is well now, she floated upside down for a bit, but I nudged her into the O2 rich water and pried her off the skimmer and now all is well!

#7 Guest_anuggslife_*

Guest_anuggslife_*

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:44 PM

im definitely trying this in 55 gallon buckets this summer i think

#8 shroom57

shroom57

Papa Smurf

• Expired Member
  • 798 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:13 PM

Man, I can help you with that if you're really interested.

I've got a cheap ass kiddie pool, holds about...hmm..have to think, but it's as simple as pvc pipe tubes or rain gutter...pump the fish water to the top end and let it drain back into the drum/tank/kiddie pool/old bathtub...

It's all about balancing the system, or so my research says.

A well respected pot grower snob just snubbed my research without knowing what I'm doing...that means I gotta prove it.

Stay tuned...
  • Om shanti likes this

#9 Om shanti

Om shanti

S.W.I.M. in H.POO

• Expired Member
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:30 PM

Very interesting! Good luck! :)

#10 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:58 PM

Very interesting project, I'll have to read the other threads.

We used to have an aquatic turtle, but we set him free in a family pond and now I have this aquarium in the barn sitting empty.....

But, we do have a large outdoor pond which has a waterfall, etc. and a lower pond which feeds the top pond. It'd be cool to set something like this up on that.....

#11 eastwood

eastwood

Dragon Bait

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,612 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:26 PM

Subscribed :teeth:

Isn't the fish ferts high in Nitrogen?Is there a way to keep track of the N-P-K value of the water?Is the selection of plants you can grow using aquaponics limited to water plants or can you grow basically any type of house plant using the aquaponics?I have heard of some MJ growing storys of people using the aquaponics but wouldnt the high N content only make it good for Veg time of a MJ grow?

#12 heritage ranch

heritage ranch

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 562 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:44 PM

you can grow just about any plant this way. just like hydroponics. the easier ones to grow are leafy greens like spinich and such, but flowereing/fruiting plants can be done aswell, just need to pay close attention to ferts. the ferts in the water are closely related to the fish food that is being fed. i am no expert at this, but in recent web searches i have seen cucumbers, tomatos and all sorts of stuff done this way. i dont know that i will ever move away from soil for growing my food, but this is cool, and i might do something like this as a natural way to filter water from a aquaculture set up (fish farm)

#13 shroom57

shroom57

Papa Smurf

• Expired Member
  • 798 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:12 AM

I'm still pretty new to this, but I'm thinking the plants that would do best in here are the lettuces, maybe cabbage, broccoli, stuff like that.

Fruiting vegetables like tomatoes, cucumbers, pot, etc. would probably be best vegged in the aquaponics and then moved to a different enviornment for flowering/fruiting.

The free nitrates that the beneficial bacteria make available to the plants is very beneficial to initial growth and leaf growth, mostly nitogen.

As in any new adventure, I'm expecting this to take a year or so to stabilize. But I think it has potential for almost any plant, maybe even my favorite!

Got some clones in there now, coir and perlite, we'll see.

#14 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,904 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:27 AM

After talking with you in chat about it I found this video on youtube-

g3gQ_OXREo8

#15 Phungivore

Phungivore

ɹǝuoɟ ƃuıʞɔnʇs

• OG VIP
  • 747 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:56 AM

great vid, a lil more details on how he got around not nuff P an K in bloom:headbang:

just had a couple ideas to work around deficiency of aquaponic systems

for planted aquarium they sell special substrates that the plant roots can draw iron from one such is called flourite
( http://www.seachem.c...s/Flourite.html ) so seems this could be away around the iron in system, another would to be use a micro nutrient mix they call plantex csm+b which is picked up at few websites and has iron, and few other chelated micro nutrients.might take both these together as I'm not totally certain flourite will fulfill all the iron demands of the plant. Flourite can be purchased at most pet shop, but the chain i know that has it is petsmart, runs about 25- 30 per 15lb bag.

Shroom57: i think flourite would be great addition to your plant bed portion of the system.

another way i seen them get around the issue of micro nutrient issues is to use a rock dust they call Azomite, or possibly a product called sea 90 which is evaporated sea-salt in raw form. I personally use Sea90 in my grows and seems to give the plants a higher potency , and university studies show it will help increase Brix count is most plants too, and DR. Maynard Murry conducted experiments that showed sea 90 could help tomato plants over come virus .

as far as p and k goes http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com would be a source for the plantex csm+b and few different potassium, and phosphorus fertilizers that when used in proper proportions will not poison your fish.

as for natural solutions to these problems refer to my post here for the npk levels of many common compost able foods found in this link

http://mycotopia.net...ts-organic.html
not all foods onlist would be suitble to feed as only food and some i would never feed the fish but alot of the veggies would be good food though, and could be tailored to boost P and K

Edited by Phungivore, 13 April 2010 - 07:03 AM.

#16 shroom57

shroom57

Papa Smurf

• Expired Member
  • 798 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:16 PM

Yeah tractor, I saw that video early on, just didn't give much detail. That's kinda what got me started.

And I appreciate everyone's feedback.

I'm looking for a better substrate for the plants right now, tried perlite, it floats and it's a PITA by itself, tried coir/perlite, which works, but you have to wash the shit out of it.

I'm too broke to buy hydroton, so I'm going to try washed river sand and small (around 1/4th inch) river stone...I have a river out the back here.

The trick is to get an appropriate substrate that will support those two bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrites to nitrates, and simultaneously support good root growth and support the plants.

Any ideas?

#17 Phungivore

Phungivore

ɹǝuoɟ ƃuıʞɔnʇs

• OG VIP
  • 747 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:27 PM

if all you want is housing for the bacteria then just plain gravel will provide that. but reason for mention of Flourite substrate is the plants can draw iron from it, and will not poison yer fish.

#18 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,904 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:59 PM

Why not use lava rock with a coco mat? The lava rock is what's used in bio buckets.

#19 Phungivore

Phungivore

ɹǝuoɟ ƃuıʞɔnʇs

• OG VIP
  • 747 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 04:14 AM

heres the start of my system, doing fishless cycle , which is reason you do not see fish, right now am going ahead with a raft for the seedlings till i can get money together for pump, at which point i will make a bed which will have auto siphon
http://mycotopia.net...10&d=1273289401

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1278.JPG

Edited by shroom57, 07 May 2010 - 10:33 PM.
resized pic

#20 shroom57

shroom57

Papa Smurf

• Expired Member
  • 798 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:48 PM

I had a really nice post and I messed it up with big pics...
here's my new bed...

http://mycotopia.net...76&d=1273034726

and the pump.

http://mycotopia.net...77&d=1273034726

Attached Thumbnails

• fishponic clones 004.JPG
  • fishponic clones 002.JPG

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!