Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

IncredibleEdible's Popcorn Pictorial-Illustrated step by step from scratch.

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 cavidez

cavidez

$crillas

• Expired Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:44 AM

This tutorial is amazing... i had always been using the simple pf tek, rice + verm, but ever since i seen this thread i wanted to give it a go.... i already bought my popcorn (50lbs) and is soaking it as i type.. thanks again for the great write up, i'll let you know how my progress is going, going to inoc. it w/ Brazilian & GT ^^

#42 imnotarobot

imnotarobot

sent from the future

• Expired Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:46 PM

thanks for the info incredible pictures are so helpful

how does one tell if the pcorn is fully colonized? my foaf used this info to noc using lc and shook on day 7. they were very hard to break up at that point and recovered by the next day. they are very fluffy now on day 10 i kind of think they would be good to go.

i assume 2-3 week colonization time is from multispore? so from lc should be much faster?

which brings me to another question. when do you shake? i see you say day 8 but is that the only time?

btw: sorry for so many question. extensive research has not seemed to answers them. thanks :)

#43 IncredibleEdible

IncredibleEdible

Loving g2g!

• Expired Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:23 AM

thanks for the info incredible pictures are so helpful

how does one tell if the pcorn is fully colonized? my foaf used this info to noc using lc and shook on day 7. they were very hard to break up at that point and recovered by the next day. they are very fluffy now on day 10 i kind of think they would be good to go.

i assume 2-3 week colonization time is from multispore? so from lc should be much faster?

which brings me to another question. when do you shake? i see you say day 8 but is that the only time?

btw: sorry for so many question. extensive research has not seemed to answers them. thanks :)

Hey no problem man. Glad to hear that your friend is using this tek and it's working for him.

Day 8 really just depends on how fast the spores you're using on colonizing. Everyone has a different theory on when to shake - and some do not shake at all.

I generally shake the jar when it's around 30% completed. This spreads up the myc and lets it colonize new areas faster IMO. After this - I do not shake it again, I just let it go until it's 100%. Now - what is "100%" you asked. I wait until I can see no kernels (other than maybe one pressed against glass where the myc was not able to get to the tip) and wait about 3 days.

As far as colonization times using an LC - I do not know the answer to this, sorry. I only use MS syringes and g2g transfers to noc up my jars.

#44 mushmind

mushmind

campus radical

• Expired Member
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:46 PM

I can hardly wait to try some popcorn. my next poo/coir run will use popcorn i suppose.:meditate:

#45 imnotarobot

imnotarobot

sent from the future

• Expired Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:20 AM

thank you for the response. from what i can tell lc CAN colonize much faster but it depends on where it is in it's life cycle. if left in the incubator too long the lc can get very sad.

how long after sterilization can one wait to noc these? i heard with pf cakes you can hold onto them for a few days with no problems. but seems to have troubles with contams/moisture content after too long.

is a couple of days going to invite contams?

#46 IncredibleEdible

IncredibleEdible

Loving g2g!

• Expired Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:58 AM

thank you for the response. from what i can tell lc CAN colonize much faster but it depends on where it is in it's life cycle. if left in the incubator too long the lc can get very sad.

how long after sterilization can one wait to noc these? i heard with pf cakes you can hold onto them for a few days with no problems. but seems to have troubles with contams/moisture content after too long.

is a couple of days going to invite contams?

After sterilization, if kept in a clean environment you should be fine for at least a few days, possibly longer. I've never tested to see how long I could wait, then noc them up.

#47 imnotarobot

imnotarobot

sent from the future

• Expired Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:53 PM

well some new ground may be covered :)

for the sake of science i will find out

#48 imnotarobot

imnotarobot

sent from the future

• Expired Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:31 PM

so my foaf did some research and it seems like 4 days after sterilization is when things start getting dicey. the moisture content changes and pcorn gets all sludgey and won't fully colonize.

obviously conditions will vary but get it done by the 3rd day and you should have not problems.

#49 IncredibleEdible

IncredibleEdible

Loving g2g!

• Expired Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:09 PM

Good to know. I wonder what would cause that though? In a well filtered, sterile jar that's not opened, I figured it would last longer.

Sometimes signs of life from the spores can take weeks, and I do not imagine they would be able to keep the entire jar from going south anyways if this were the case?

Hmmm... Did you do two runs side by side? A test jar with myc (the control) and a jar without?

#50 imnotarobot

imnotarobot

sent from the future

• Expired Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:43 PM

Good to know. I wonder what would cause that though? In a well filtered, sterile jar that's not opened, I figured it would last longer.

Sometimes signs of life from the spores can take weeks, and I do not imagine they would be able to keep the entire jar from going south anyways if this were the case?

Hmmm... Did you do two runs side by side? A test jar with myc (the control) and a jar without?

it could be the conditions. the current incubator runs warm and there are tons of variables that really make it depend i think. all of the test batches were nocced with LC and side by side with the same strain using multispore showed much faster colonization with the lc.

yes. the jars without any noccing never visibly contamed even weeks later. but the later jars were nocced the bigger chance they would stall or not recover from a shake. most of them seemed to be too dry but it's hard to tell. an occasional one would just have this orange sludge and never really colonize more than 25%.

some of the jars would do just fine even 10 days after sterilization but it was rare.

this was off pints that had sat for 3 days before noccing: http://mycotopia.net...html#post905940

#51 Psoulocybe

Psoulocybe

Hoopy Frood

• Free Member
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:34 PM

Tablespoon of vermiculite on the bottom of the jars is great to capture any extra moisture.

Only thing I really do different than you is my lids, I just use PF punched lids with tyvek over them, but under the band.

#52 IncredibleEdible

IncredibleEdible

Loving g2g!

• Expired Member
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:41 AM

The "orange sludge" is definitely a bacterial contamination. The surest sign of this - like you said - is a jar that will not recover when shaken.

#53 chief1jro

chief1jro

Folks call me buckethead.

• Expired Member
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:12 PM

Where do I get those 50 lb. bags of popcorn? Not necessarily just the 50 lb. bag, but anyone want to tell me where I can buy bulk popcorn. I would like to have a list of resources for bulk popcorn, so anyone that uses this tek, or can tell me where to buy bulk popcorn, send me all references and I will archive them all.

#54 Theodore Blass

Theodore Blass

On vacation

• Expired Member
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:14 PM

Where do I get those 50 lb. bags of popcorn? Not necessarily just the 50 lb. bag, but anyone want to tell me where I can buy bulk popcorn. I would like to have a list of resources for bulk popcorn, so anyone that uses this tek, or can tell me where to buy bulk popcorn, send me all references and I will archive them all.

add verm to that list also...im having a shit ton of trouble buying it in decent batches.

#55 DiSc0Rd

DiSc0Rd

Black Sheep

• Free Member
  • 191 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 11:30 PM

looking forward to giving popcorn a go... this will help get me on the right path.. thanks.

#56 mushmind

mushmind

campus radical

• Expired Member
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:27 AM

i buy feed corn at a feed store. $8.50 a 50 lb bag. can't help you with a feed store in your area but thats what the net is for.

add verm to that list also...im having a shit ton of trouble buying it in decent batches. Theodore, i have a garden supply store get me 4 cu ft bags of verm for $22 but if I wanted to drive a bit I would get them for $8.50. I would sprend the difference in gas sooooo....

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!