Phineas_Carmichael

Hooloovoo

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,947 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:35 PM

Willful and egregious OSHA safety violations
BP- 760

BP doesn't give a fuck about safety.

Take this report with a grain of salt. The funeral home I worked for was given 2 "willful and egregious" violations when OSHA came through in the mid-90's.

1. The building was a converted victorian home with old outlets so we pulled the ground off a few electrical plugs and got fined $300 each.
2. A $100 fine for a bottle of white-out correctional fluid with no label on it!

I make no argument that BP is not a corporate devil, but OSHA violations can be pretty ridiculous!

#82 Ninja33

Ninja33

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 357 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:04 PM

It is sad to say, but G.W.Bush is right. We are addicted to oil. All of us. What would our current lifestyle be like without it?

We'd all be growing corn and hemp, asthma and allergies would be virtually non-existent, and we wouldn't be ruled by a capitalist oligarchy ;P

That's my theory at least hehe

#83 warriorsoul

warriorsoul

Retired Moderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,802 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:30 PM

http://news.yahoo.co...spill_new_plume

22-mile oil plume under Gulf nears rich waters

Posted Image AP – This image made from video released by British Petroleum (BP PLC) early Friday morning, May 28, 2010.

By MATTHEW BROWN and JASON DEAREN, Associated Press Writers Matthew Brown And Jason Dearen, Associated Press Writers – Fri May 28, 10:31 am ET
NEW ORLEANS – A thick, 22-mile plume of oil discovered by researchers off the BP spill site was nearing an underwater canyon, where it could poison the foodchain for sealife in the waters off Florida.
The discovery by researchers on the University of South Florida College of Weatherbird II vessel is the second significant undersea plume reported since the Deepwater Horizon exploded on April 20. The plume is more than 6 miles wide and its presence was reported Thursday.
The cloud was nearing a large underwater canyon whose currents fuel the foodchain in Gulf waters off Florida and could potentially wash the tiny plants that feed larger organisms in a stew of toxic chemicals, another researcher said Friday.
Larry McKinney, executive director of the Harte Research Institute for Gulf of Mexico Studies at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi, said the DeSoto Canyon off the Florida Panhandle sends nutrient-rich water from the deep up to shallower waters.
McKinney said that in a best-case scenario, oil riding the current out of the canyon would rise close enough to the surface to be broken down by sunlight. But if the plume remains relatively intact, it could sweep down the west coast of Florida as a toxic soup as far as the Keys, through what he called some of the most productive parts of the Gulf.
The plume was detected just beneath the surface down to about 3,300 feet, said David Hollander, associate professor of chemical oceanography at USF.
Hollander said the team detected the thickest amount of hydrocarbons, likely from the oil spewing from the blown out well, at about 1,300 feet in the same spot on two separate days this week.
The discovery was important, he said, because it confirmed that the substance found in the water was not naturally occurring and that the plume was at its highest concentration in deeper waters. The researchers will use further testing to determine whether the hydrocarbons they found are the result of dispersants or the emulsification of oil as it traveled away from the well.
The first such plume detected by scientists stretched from the well southwest toward the open sea, but this new undersea oil cloud is headed miles inland into shallower waters where many fish and other species reproduce.

The researchers say they are worried these undersea plumes may be the result of the dispersants used to break up the oil a mile undersea at the site of the leak.
Hollander said the oil they detected has dissolved into the water, and is no longer visible, leading to fears from researchers that the toxicity from the oil and dispersants could pose a big danger to fish larvae and creatures that filter the waters for food.
"There are two elements to it," Hollander said. "The plume reaching waters on the continental shelf could have a toxic effect on fish larvae, and we also may see a long term response as it cascades up the food web."
Dispersants contain surfactants, which are similar to dishwashing soap.
A Louisiana State University researcher who has studied their effects on marine life said that by breaking oil into small particles, surfactants make it easier for fish and other animals to soak up the oil's toxic chemicals. That can impair the animals' immune systems and cause reproductive problems.
"The oil's not at the surface, so it doesn't look so bad, but you have a situation where it's more available to fish," said Kevin Kleinow, a professor in LSU's school of veterinary medicine.

#84 VirgilCaine

VirgilCaine

Pre-hungover

• Expired Member
  • 679 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:56 PM

1. The building was a converted victorian home with old outlets so we pulled the ground off a few electrical plugs and got fined $300 each.
2. A $100 fine for a bottle of white-out correctional fluid with no label on it!

Damn. You all got twice as many in one day than Exxon did in 3 years. LOL. Yeah, I know all about OSHA and their regulations, I've worked demolition for 20 years . Some seem frivolous, For example yours: 1. Now, I'm no electrician but sure does seem like a fire Hazard 2. No label on a potentially deadly inhalant.

It's hard to take it with a grain of salt when BP's record is 760X worse than Exxon's.
  • Phineas_Carmichael likes this

#85 MycoDani

MycoDani

Myco Chick

• Site Administrator
  • 9,862 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2010 - 02:04 PM

It doesn't matter who's fault it is I think everyone should help. I was watching Hardball last nite I know I'm a lefty, and he( Chris Matthews) was talking about how in Saudi Arabia they have these tankers that siphon up oil.

Where the hell are they! Why haven't we asked them if we can use them they could suck up the plums and all of the surface oil. That crap that they have sprayed makes me seriously angry.

I really hope this top kill works I don't think that ecosystem can take anymore. For all of us who care for our earth, I think this is one of the biggest blows we have ever taken! Even if this works then we're left with the cleanup wow it's crazy!

#86 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:44 PM

The live video looks really weird right now ...

http://www.bp.com/li...rov_stream.html

Edit* You could'nt see anything but mud/oil on the entire screen. Seems to have "calmed" down. I can't stand to watch it for to long.

Edited by hyphaenation, 28 May 2010 - 04:12 PM.

#87 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,074 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:01 PM

I feel so helpless. Its not the Earth that suffers as much as humanity. Maybe the next super- race of humanoids that survive the hell we've created will do better. God knows they cant do much worse than we did. For shame. Only assholes like us would try poisoning the poisonous oil with more poison in a feeble attempt to help. Jesus. We deserve to go extinct.

#88 bbd2

bbd2

eNtheogen psychonautical voyager navigator

• Free Member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:18 PM

saw el jefe obama speaking on it

says we are doing the best we can

per JCS chairman mike mullen and the other guy defense secretary, the military doesnt have anything that can do better than BP's technology at 1 mile underwater

that was an unpleasant surprise to me

seems that since there are no ppl to kill that deep underwater, the military hasnt really paid any attention to operating at that level

fucking BP is the state-of-the-art in deep water operations

i never felt lamer

gotta update my assumptions

its not like starfleet

where they have helpful technology, large ships to move ppl, medicines

drones cant carry even one person, cant shoot oil with guns
an explosion might make things worse they say

different kinds of technology evolve depending on ones focus

and so on it goes

I ultimately take resposibility for stopping this crisis. Im the president, and the buck stops with me.

lord please help us

#89 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:57 PM

BP efforts fail to stem US oil flow

By Ed Crooks, Energy Editor
Published: May 28 2010 20:09 | Last updated: May 28 2010 20:09

BP again temporarily suspended its attempt to pour drilling fluid into its leaking well in the Gulf of Mexico on Friday, and indicated that the operation could continue into Saturday, after trying a new tactic to stop oil escaping.
The company has also prepared two further fall-back options should the latest attempt fail. If all these options are unsuccessful, there is a risk the oil will continue to escape for another two months.

Rest of article:

http://www.ft.com/cm...html?ftcamp=rss

#90 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:19 PM

Statistically, the current evolving tragedy in the Gulf is a huge anomaly. There are LOTS of offshore platforms in the Gulf. Only one of them has failed catastrophically.

I think this is a good time to mention nuclear energy, by the way. The chances of a Chernobyl sized accident in America are statistically far smaller than the chance that the Deep Water Horizon would explode, burn and sink above a blowout valve which would simultaneously fail.

None the less, Deep Water Horizon defied the odds. Anybody else remember Three Mile Island? Some risks must be judged not worth taking - regardless of the perceived benefit.

We are on an unsustainable course in terms of energy consumption and population support on planet Earth. If we don't initiate a culture shift in our mindset about the production and consumption of oil (and other natural resources), then I feel quite strongly that we are doomed as a species.

The planet and it's environs are self-correcting. As George Carlin put it so succinctly, this planet can shake us off like so many fleas at any point.

It is very easy to forget that we are basically just monkey's with cutlery and an attitude problem. It is very easy to forget that the VAST majority of species which have ever existed on this planet are currently extinct.

It is very easy to forget that the USA is only 223 years old (US Constitution established in 1787).

We are a fart in the wind compared to the Roman Empire.

Statistically, the existence of humanity is extremely improbable. Realistically, the chance of humanity making themselves extinct is extremely probable.

If "God" was a betting "man," I don't think he would put humanity's chances of long term survival much higher than our chances of ever existing in the first place.
  • Sidestreet and warriorsoul like this

#91 finite_synapses

finite_synapses

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:58 AM

To which I say green energy is the key. It has been estimated that an energy system in America based entirely on green energy would cost us about 200 bucks per year, per person. Honestly, that ain't too shabby, considering the fact that we've already got over 30 g's in debt per person. It's just the fact that people bitch about not maintaining the status quo, and it's going to doom us all. Intellect is hard to come by in this world, and those who have an abundance are all too foten dissuaded by large corporations.

#92 Ninja33

Ninja33

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 357 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:57 AM

To think, if we ran on hemp oil, we'd all just throw a party every time it leaked into our oceans n shit lol "Surf's up..surf's..reeeaallly high!"

#93 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:56 PM

Day 40: BP 'top kill' still not stopping flow

Outside expert: Pressure from well is stronger than heavy mud

http://www.msnbc.msn...gulf_oil_spill/

#94 bbd2

bbd2

• Free Member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:42 PM

has anyone said what the pressure of the oil coming out is?

the oil reserve is 2 miles under the sea floor
a total 3 miles below surface

my feeling is that they may have "struck black gold"
got a lot more oil than they had been expecting
lots of oil in encased in a small volume cavity encased in rock = fluid under incredible pressures

they somehow have to match that in order to stop the flow

its flowing out that fast against 2000 psi (pounds per square inch)
draw that little 1 inch square out to get an idea of what means

im hoping the relief wells will work

i dont believe they have what it takes technologically to deal with those kinds of pressures

all they can do is redirect the flow to a controllable outlet

unless someone can come up with some magic, something just brilliant
a national hero

its likely another 50-60 days

#95 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:08 PM

As far as the oil goes - we're potentially soooooo very screwed. If it ends up as big as the Valdez (or even bigger - BP won't say how large the oil field currently gushing actually is) there is a possibility of the spill sliding down the west coast of Florida. Right around the tip of Florida is the Gulf Stream current flow that feeds warm water from the Caribbean up the Eastern seaboard of the US.

In a worst case, chicken little, sky is falling scenario - we might be seeing oil from this spill making landfall in the North Carolina barrier islands around October or November.

This may well be a perfect storm scenario.

The oil field under that spewing riser pipe may be far more massive and under far more pressure than previously considered. In fact, if it really is a vast, deep, conical field under incredibly high pressure...there is a high probability that relief wells will not be able to seal it.

If it is a supermassively deep field, it's vent pressure will actually INCREASE over the coming months. As the internal pressure of the field decreases, the extremely deep crude will boil and produce MORE net vent/leak/spill pressure than is currently being expressed.

There is a possibility that this leak may go unplugged for a year or more.

We may see landfall of this spill in Maine and Nova Scotia.

#96 BlazingWithPower

BlazingWithPower

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:41 AM

They need to just drop an iron rod from space into the hole or something. Or have the government seize control of BP, get the Army Core of Engineers on it, then just shut BP down since they're dumb as fuck.

This is pretty ridicules. Can we PLEASE find an alternative energy source now? PLEASE?!

#97 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 May 2010 - 01:19 PM

BP CEO Hayward: 'We Had Too Many People Working to Save the World'

http://www.huffingto...o_b_585610.html

Anyone else irritated by BP and their CEO's ?

Attached: BP ad campaigns of the past.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2010-05-21-bptonyhayward.jpg
  • ZSPKG.jpg

#98 bbd2

bbd2

• Free Member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:39 PM

excerpt from http://www.latimes.c...0,7619505.story

Officials warn oil spill may not be capped until August

BP switches from the top-kill method after the White House expresses 'very, very grave' concerns. The oil company will soon begin a new procedure that, even if successful, may not plug the leak completely.

Reporting from Washington — A top Obama administration official warned Sunday that the Gulf of Mexico oil spill might not be stopped until late summer after BP's latest attempt to plug the leak failed.

The "American people need to know" that it's "possible we will have oil leaking from this well until August, when the relief wells will be finished," said Carol Browner, the White House energy advisor.

Browner said on CBS that Energy Secretary Steven Chu and a team of scientists on Saturday essentially put a halt to BP's attempt to cap the spewing well through a process known as "top kill." The administration team worried that the increasing pressure from heavy drilling mud being forced into the well to seal it actually would make the leak worse.

finally someone tells the truth

maybe now they will begin focusing on serious solutions

#99 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:15 PM

Of course there's conspiracy theories now floating around that the deepwater well was built by South Korea's Hyundai , and that a North Korean submarine torpedoed and rammed Deepwater.

Not that I believe any of it , but its out there.

Edited by hyphaenation, 30 May 2010 - 09:54 PM.

#100 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:02 PM

BP CEO disputes claims of underwater oil plumes

(AP) – 5 hours ago

http://www.google.co...-luPogD9G1DIT82

VENICE, La. — BP PLC CEO Tony Hayward is disputing claims by scientists that there are large undersea plumes from the Gulf oil spill.
Hayward said Sunday the oil is on the water's surface, and that BP's sampling showed "no evidence" of oil in the water column.
Scientists from several universities have reported plumes of what appears to be oil suspended in clouds that stretched for miles and reached hundreds of feet beneath the Gulf's surface.
Hayward also says the company is narrowing its response to the oil spill to the Louisiana coast and bulking up cleanup forces there for a fight that could last months.
Almost six weeks into the nation's worst spill, no significant oil has hit other Gulf states, but they remain guarded.

--------------------

BP CEO disputes claims of underwater oil plumes

(AP) – 1 hour ago

VENICE, La. — Disputing scientists' claims of large oil plumes suspended underwater in the Gulf of Mexico, BP PLC's chief executive on Sunday said the company has largely narrowed the focus of its cleanup to surface slicks rolling into Louisiana's coastal marshes.
During a tour of a BP PLC staging area for cleanup workers, CEO Tony Hayward said the company's sampling showed "no evidence" that oil was suspended in large masses beneath the surface. He didn't elaborate on how the testing was done.
Hayward said that oil's natural tendency is to rise to the surface, and any oil found underwater was in the process of working its way up.
"The oil is on the surface," Hayward said. "There aren't any plumes."
Scientists from several universities have reported plumes of what appears to be oil far from the site of BP's leaking wellhead, which is more than 5,000 beneath the surface.
Those findings — from the University of South Florida, the University of Georgia, Southern Mississippi University and other institutions — were based on video images and initial observations of water samples taken in the Gulf over the last several weeks. They continue to be analyzed.
One researcher said Sunday that their findings are bolstered by the fact that scientists from different institutions have come to similar conclusions after doing separate testing.
"There's been enough evidence from enough different sources," said marine scientist James Cowan of Louisiana State University, who reported finding a plume last of oil last week about 50 miles from the spill site. Cowan said oil reached to depths of at least 400 feet.
An even larger plume — 22 miles long, six miles wide and more than a thousand feet deep — was reported by the University of South Florida.
"We stand behind it," said William Hogarth, dean of the school's College of Marine Science. Hogarth, the former head of the National Marine Fisheries Service, said laboratory results are due this week.
A third scientist, LSU chemist Ed Overton, said simple physics sides with BP's Hayward. Since oil is lighter than water, Overton said it is unlikely to stay below the surface for long.
But Hogarth and Cowan said BP's use of chemical dispersants to break up the oil before it reaches the surface could reduce its buoyancy, keeping it in deeper water.
An estimated 18 to 40 million gallons of oil have been unleashed since BP's Deepwater Horizon platform exploded and sank last month, killing 11. With the undersea leak now expected to continue spewing oil until August, Hayward said the cleanup effort could last for months or even years.
The embattled CEO spent only a few minutes on the subject of plumes on Sunday, concentrating instead on outlining his company's cleanup efforts.
"The fight on this battlefield today is in Louisiana," he said.
Calls to BP seeking more information on how they tested for the underwater plumes weren't immediately returned.

--------------------------------

Third Giant Underwater Oil Plume Discovered

22-mile oil plume under Gulf nears rich waters - Yahoo! News

The Associated Press: Huge underwater oil plumes found in Gulf of ...

Plumes of Oil Found Underwater

BP Oilpocalypse Creates Underwater Nightmare

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!