• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 elixir

elixir

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 12:32 PM

When should I flip the jars? Should I start them lid up or lid down? Finally, should the innoc holes be covered? If so, should I remove the tape and when?

Thanks! =]

#2 I_am_me

I_am_me

Odderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 12:42 PM

Just leave the foil on the top of the jars, no need for tape over the holes after innoculation.

Start em lid up. Flip em after 100% colonization.

#3 I_am_me

I_am_me

Odderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 12:42 PM

Oh yea, remember to give em light from day 1. It helps speed pinning along. :)

#4 elixir

elixir

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 12:50 PM

Its a little late for the foil. =P Any other suggestions?

#5 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 14 March 2005 - 12:59 PM

I'm personally not a fan of leaving foil on jars. I remove it right after the pc cycle. The reason is your jars are moist. If you leave foil on, that moisture might work into either your filter disk or dry verm layer. A moist filter can allow contamination, mostly bacteria, to colonize right through the wet filter. You want your filter material to stay totally dry at all times.

As said, flip at 100%, as this will help the CO2 to escape, thus triggering pinning. Give light from day one. That's all there is to it, besides patience.

#6 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 01:19 PM

Patience is the hardest part IMO.Good luck with your grow.

#7 shedthemonkey

shedthemonkey

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 01:26 PM

Strange. I didn't flip my last batch of jars at all and they pinned tremendously. Good luck with that. :) Likely it makes the grower feel better.

#8 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 01:47 PM

I find that whenever I don't flip my jars I get one huge one that curls around the top rim of the jar, when this has happened it has been about two inches before any other pins appeared and I didn't even know it was there

#9 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 14 March 2005 - 03:08 PM

Come to think of it, I don't flip mine either...lol. I don't do brf though, only whole grains.

#10 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 05:22 PM

Come to think of it, I don't flip mine either...lol

lol, my buddy is the same way, she only does grains. although if she WERE going to do brf again, she'd go invitro .

#11 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 08:56 PM

I've only had one spot of luck with grains, in a mycobag. Invitro (is it still invitro if its in a bag?) copes, not a big flush but still it was something

#12 LaughingDog

LaughingDog

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 10:08 PM

I'm with Rodger on taking the foil off right away, it traps moisture on the lid. Personally I flip mine from day one and give them light 8-12 hours a day, works for me.

#13 TheMycoMan

TheMycoMan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 07:32 PM

These questions may have been asked but here they are anyway......

1)What are prefereable strains for invitro culture....
-are equadorians, hawaiians and treasure coasts good?

2)What are the details on the invitro method where the jars are not opened till the cake has been fully used , leaving a mass of mostly mushy goodness
--is it worth the wait
--how do i know it is done?
--how do the mushrooms not rot and induce contamination?

3)can i induce mutations using blacklights that would be useful in terms of potency?

#14 imok

imok

-

• Expired Member
  • 595 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:08 PM

1st Welcome to Mycotopia :)
"mi casa es su casa" :) spanish
"a minha casa é a tua casa" :) portuguese

2nd In regard to your questions:
(1) Any strain can be used invitro. I think Hippie prefers SAs though.
(2) A relative question, but almost guaranteed success so I would say yes.
You can see when the jar stops flushing, and you no longer pick any more shrooms(or the jar contams).
You pick the shrooms, either all of them or just the ones that are mature.
(3) Don't use blacklight, doesn't affect potency at all.

3rd Here are some links that will help you with the BRF and other teks.

Link: Archives Has all of the collected wisdom, and information needed to be successful in this hobby(there is alot of info there, check the archives out yourself, updated often).

Link: Glossary If you don't understand a term look it up here.

Link: Search If you can't find it in the Glossary, use the Search function at the top of every page to search the archives and the rest of the board too.

Link: Illustrated Teks Complete step by step instructions with pictures(best of the best from the archives)

Link: Mycotopia's CD Set Mycotopia's entire database on a 2 cd set(useful information, photographs, TEKS, commentary, questions & answers, Shroomy ScreenSaver, Interactive Grower's Guide by Bookmaker and a Shroomy FAQ)

The following teks are from the front page of the Archives:

Link: BRF TEK: Cakes The original BRF Tek with all the details you need to be successful the first time.

Link: Improving BRF Cake Formula-Super Cakes Getting the best out of your cakes(not for beginners).

Link: Invitro [MycroTeks] Combines the BRF jar creation tek with a way to pursue this hobby with minimal labor and maximum stealth. Also known as the Invitro/stealth/neglect tek(has several names but the same basic tek)

Link: Sterilization & Pasturization Methods Keeping it clean and growing only what you want.

Link: Dunking Increase the number of flushes and the size of your shrooms(Important if using the invitro tek as a way to get the shroom its needed moisture; the shroom is 90% moisture)

Link: Bleach Dipping/ Salt Tek How to prevent contams and extend the life of your cakes/casings as well as what to do if your casings do get contamed(dipping follows dunking)

Link: Drug Dosage & Dosing: Recipes & Extracts How to enjoy the fruits of your labor safely (don't overdo it, slow and sure is the best way)

Link: Drying/Storage: Picking/Harvesting What to do with the shrooms when you are successful(you don't have to let the excess rot, you can store it for later instead)

Link: Spores, Prints & Syringes How to make your own syringes from prints and how to get prints from shrooms(become totally self sufficient with this information)

Link: Liquid Culture: Karo/Honey/Dextrose Q&A Ways to increase the amount of inoculate available(grow solution) without buying more syringes or prints(can also be combined with ).

Link: Cloning A way to select the shrooms that do the best with your tek/environment/way of growing(combine with Liquid Culture to massively increase your production)

Link: Gloveboxes & Flowhoods How to eliminate your chances of contams while working with syringes/prints/cloning(A cheap cardboard glovebox is better than the cleanest room)

Link: Casings The next step in to bulk production both indoors and out(get familiar with the previous teks and you will increase your odds of success)

Link: Grain to Grain Transfers (G2G) & SuperSpawning Best ways to create the spawn/substrate for your casings(you can do it with cakes but grain is the best)

Link: Agar, Petri dishes, slants [Strain Isolation] For those who want to take this hobby all the way(scientific method required)

Link: Botanicals Other natural ethnogens(intended to expand your horizons)

Link: Secrecy & Stealth ; Privacy & Security Ideas on how to cover your backside as you participate in this hobby(better to learn from the experiences of others than first hand)

Spore/Supply vendor questions
The "price" is less important than the relationship you
establish with them and your comfort in dealing with them.
We have sponsors/vendors in the USA, Canada and Europe.
You have to determine which one(s) work best in your situation.

[url="http://www.mycotopia.net/site/article.php?25.255"]Link: Sponsors/Vendors Hippie guaranteed good service and products.
All vendors have been checked out and are monitored. If you
have a problem you can't work out with the vendor directly,
just PM Hippie and he will get it straight for you.

#15 TheMycoMan

TheMycoMan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 10:02 PM

Thanks for the answers and links..... my real meaty question though i belived was phrased wrong.....

My invitro question pertains to a post made a while back where instead of picking the individual flushes you let the cake flush all the way till it is exhausted and then harvest the resulting "mushy layers"

#16 LaughingDog

LaughingDog

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 10:22 PM

Texans work great invitro.

#17 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 11:22 PM

i have to agree
from what ive seen
tex just cant wait to pin, even for people who DONT want invitro
:D

#18 nomoreusmc

nomoreusmc

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 940 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:29 AM

I think I understand your question. No you can't wait untill the cake is exausted to pick. That is guarenteed contam from the first flushes rotting. You have to pick after each flush. If the fruits start to rott you have invited contam into your jars and that just ruins all you hard work

#19 imok

imok

-

• Expired Member
  • 595 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:07 PM

You have to dunk the invitro cake if you want more than one flush(see dunking & bleach dipping above).
The shroom is approx 90% h20 so you have to replace the moisture used from the cake during the growth cycle.
You can wait till the first shroom starts to turn black/rot and then remove the cake from the jar, pick all of the shrooms then dunk/dip and put the cake back in the jar for the next flush.
Or you can pull and pick the ones that have stopped growing, put the cake back in and let the smaller shrooms complete and then dunk/dip and go again.
It is up to you.
Most report the smaller shrooms come off when you pick the larger ones so in general it is best to pull and pick then dunk and dip when the largest shroom in the jar gets ready to go bad.
This way you can get three or four(or more) flushes before pitching the cake and starting over.

#20 sammy54543

sammy54543

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 09:34 PM

i said earlier i have a few quart jars im planning on doing the BRF invitro tek with. can i incubate them only at 76 degrees or can i go higher and reduce when fully colonized? do i need the light on them right from innoculation or can i wait til full colonization as well? thanks 4 that link earlier hippie! yopos 2 trade pm me

Attached Thumbnails

• a_peregrina1_blk.jpg
  • anadenanthera_summary1.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!