• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 fungiman

fungiman

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 148 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:55 AM

Hallucination vision theory and mathematical description of these visual hallucinations

hal.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg

What Geometric Visual Hallucinations Tell Us about the Visual Cortex

http://dx.doi.org/10...976602317250861

Geometric visual hallucinations, Euclidean symmetry, and the functional architecture of striate cortex

http://dx.doi.org/10.../rstb.2000.0769

или

http://www.math.utah... ... s/01-1.pdf (3,5М)

Selective 5-HT2A agonist hallucinogens: A review of pharmacological interaction and corollary perceptual effects

http://www.tripzine....tate-theory.htm

Signal Theory. Toward a Unfied Theory of Psychedelic Action or: “Hallucinogens and Recurrent Excitation in Cortical Circuitry”

http://tripzine.com/...eory_poster.pdf (2,7М)

Illusory motion from change over time in the response to contrast and luminance

http://www.journalof... ... -11-10.pdf

Symmetry and Visual Hallucinations

http://math.uiowa.ed...all_iowa_09.pdf (1.3M)

A mathematical theory of visual hallucination patterns.

http://www.springerl...27240j45532241/

Edited by Sidestreet, 31 January 2018 - 05:37 AM.

• lysergic, Jordan86, Oroborous and 1 other like this

#2 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• Expired Member
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:07 PM

Ohhh I'll have to read this later when I have more time to read.

Thanks for the post!

#3 Libre

Libre

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 468 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:12 PM

Wow, this was incredibly interesting, thanks for posting this! So perceptual distortion is why the bathroom wall looked like it was the wavy surface of water and stochastic smoothing was why I saw the face of jesus while I was staring at the ceiling during my last trip. Good to know!
  • Erkee likes this

#4 lysergic

lysergic

Down on the Pharm

• Expired Member
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:05 PM

Great thread!

Very interesting.
I've always found the visuals to be my favorite part of the trip.

Thanks for posting this :thumbup:

#5 tryptaminer

tryptaminer

at this for life

• Expired Member
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:41 PM

perspective distortion rings the biggest bell for me.. when I think of tripping, the imagery I get in my head is identical to how that photograph looks

nice man!

#6 calistoner

calistoner

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 03:16 PM

whoa. thanks for this man.

#7 buteo

buteo

Imbicilzzzz

• OG VIP
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 04:29 PM

`yea thats amazing. thanks for the article. still kind of wonder why these substances exist in plants....is it bc they have a conciousness in their own cells that would create similar chemicals our brain produces? u dont have to answer that question....thsts just my wonder in my thoughtful brain.:)

#8 koldj

koldj

Wounded Healer

• Expired Member
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 04:34 PM

Wow, this was incredibly interesting, thanks for posting this! So perceptual distortion is why the bathroom wall looked like it was the wavy surface of water and stochastic smoothing was why I saw the face of jesus while I was staring at the ceiling during my last trip. Good to know!

Yes, and don't forget that it's all just chemistry.

But actually I'm glad that they at least used the expression "expanded states of consciousness". Otherwise it would be quite sad to read.

#9 bbd2

bbd2

eNtheogen psychonautical voyager navigator

• Free Member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:46 PM

Yes, and don't forget that it's all just chemistry.
But actually I'm glad that they at least used the expression "expanded states of consciousness". Otherwise it would be quite sad to read.

so you think its more than chemistry?
would you care to elaborate?

i loved this line in the fractally recursive flange section

... become a symbol of epic truth that can be grokked over and over ad infinitum

hence some questions i always ask
"do breakthroughs, once had, ever end?"
"do psychonauts ever return home?"
"does infinity ever end?"

what kind of world does someone who has "grokked epic truth ad infinitum" live in?

without the firm uncompromising nature and anchoring function of chemistry and metabolism
some of us would be fucked

mega kudos for posting this

#10 bbd2

bbd2

• Free Member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:59 PM

smoked dmt can cause stochastic smoothing in the air with open eyes in front of you

it sorta explain why you can open your eyes and not be sure if they are open or closed
cause you are seeing the same thing either way

wow man, this is a good article

#11 koldj

koldj

Wounded Healer

• Expired Member
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:34 PM

so you think its more than chemistry?
would you care to elaborate?

Definitely more than Newtonian mechanics. This world-view simply has no way of grasping the concept of consciousness. Although it may be useful for explaining some phenomena in a very simplified, but not truly acurate way.

#12 bbd2

bbd2

• Free Member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:50 PM

perhaps its the concept of consciousness
that cannot grasp consciousness?

i dont think the poster above in any way diminishes the specialness of entheogenic experience
like cows poo dung
entheogenic experiences have specialness

id challenge you to consider that the "more than newtonian mechanics" that seems so significant and worth pursuing
is just another thought, a concept, a mental animal
not any more special or important or exalted
than the "recurrent excitation of visual processing pathways"
the article talks about

the living consciousness bathes in them both
but they are not it?

#13 BioTron

BioTron

Philocybin

• Free Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:11 AM

That"s really cool that they broke down the visuals into the same 5 levels that I always have. I always called them the tracers, perceptual shift, patterning phase, visual echos, and total fractalization. They always come in that order for me, sometimes more than one at a time, but always in that order. I always wonderd what was going on biochemically to cause that and weather it was because of action in the perceptive centers of the brain that interpret visual input or if the the action was on the visual receptors within the eye. Sheds some light, so to speak.

#14 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• Expired Member
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:49 AM

This was excellent reading!

And it's Archive Material.

#15 koldj

koldj

Wounded Healer

• Expired Member
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:34 PM

the living consciousness bathes in them both
but they are not it?

I know what you mean, man. But by reading such articles some people may simply assume that these experiences are merely chemical (pathological) disturbances in the brain... and this bothers me personally.

I believe that this world-view is outdated because it's too simplified and it's dangerous in such disciplines as dealing with human consciousness. I've had a chance to read some advanced papers about treatment of schizophrenia because I knew a person who had a psychiatrist in the family and oh my Lord - if this is the right approach of dealing with the mental then for the sake of eternal happiness we should all be on some new, long lasting MDMA/Fluoxetine analogue. For only 99.95$/month. Blah, fucking materialistic world :P:horse:.

#16 bbd2

bbd2

• Free Member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:34 PM

I know what you mean, man. But by reading such articles some people may simply assume that these experiences are merely chemical (pathological) disturbances in the brain... and this bothers me personally.

i think the bias that "merely chemical" = pathological is what limiting your appreciation of the usefulness of the post
why you are not saying wow

but, more to the point,
why is it a bad thing if some ppl assume they are merely chemical?
as opposed to gifts of gods grace
or glimpses into the collective unconscious
or tools of the devil
or medicinal
or whatever ...

i think the wide variety of opinions that people develop are necessary to their journey
they reflect their purposes
and insofar as they do not conform to reality
they represent the field of personal work
beliefs affect your life, they shape choices and lifestyles

I believe that this world-view is outdated because it's too simplified and it's dangerous in such disciplines as dealing with human consciousness. I've had a chance to read some advanced papers about treatment of schizophrenia because I knew a person who had a psychiatrist in the family and oh my Lord - if this is the right approach of dealing with the mental then for the sake of eternal happiness we should all be on some new, long lasting MDMA/Fluoxetine analogue. For only 99.95$/month. Blah, fucking materialistic world :P:horse:.

i feel like you are arguing for some kind of anti-materialist spiritualist approach to treating schizophrenia and another mental illnesses

meds work to restore an approximation of a functional state for many who
experience very disorganized states.
i dont think its useful to compare tripping to mental illness anyway
thats the point i thought grof was making
that there are states, induced by ingesting chemicals, that are not normal, that are not functional in the everyday sense
but they are not pathological

#17 koldj

koldj

Wounded Healer

• Expired Member
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:04 PM

I gotta give this one up. I don't want to get too involved into this subject at the moment.

I think we both understand each other. Just different points of view.

But to summarize my opinion about the article - I haven't found anything exciting, really new or surprising in there although it's nice that somebody at least tried explaining the neurological part of tripping.

#18 ethnobotanica

ethnobotanica

Botanical-manical

• Expired Member
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:42 AM

very cool info.:thumbup:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!