Side by Side A/B vs. STB Methods and Materials
1. Assorted Glassware or HDPE
2. 1L Sep Funnel
3. Digital pH meter
4. 500mL Vacuum Filtration Apparatus
5. Personal Protective Gear
1. Distilled H2O
2. 37% Muriatic Acid
3. Crystalline Sodium Hydroxide (Lye)
4. Crystalline Sodium Carbonate (Soda Ash)
5. VM&P Naphtha
III. A/B process
1. 100g MHRB will be gently simmered in 250mL pH 4 HCl solution for 30 minutes and allowed to cool for 30 minutes. The tea will be filtered with vacuum, the filtrate saved and set aside. The Filtrand will be returned to 250mL pH 4 HCL to be boiled again, repeating the step 5 times.
2. Filtrand will be simmered once in 250mL D-H2O, filtered and discarded.
3. Combined filtrate pH will be adjusted to pH 4 with HCl
4. 200mL Naphtha will be added to the combined filtrate, stirred gently for 15min, and discarded. [Repeat 2x]
5. The remaining acidic solution will be reduced to 400mL with a gentle simmer
6. Solution will be basified to pH 12 with concentrated Sodium Hydroxide Solution [If necessary, will be reduced to 800mL by evaporation]
7. 200mL Naphtha will be added to the base, stirred gently for 15 minutes, separated and retained [Repeat 2x]
8. Resulting 600mL Naphtha will be washed
A. 1x 100mL pH 10 Sodium Carbonate Solution
B. 2x 100mL d-H2O
9. Washed Naphtha will be reduced to 300mL by evaporation and frozen for 48 hours
10. Remaining naphtha will be poured off crystals and saved for a rainy day
11. Crystals will be allowed to dry completely before weighing and bottling.
IV. STB Process
1. 100g Sodium Hydroxide will be added to 700mL d-H2O
2. 100g MHRB will be added to this solution, mixed well and allowed to sit for 2 hours
3. 200mL Naphtha will be added to the base, stirred gently for 15 minutes, separated and retained [Repeat 2x]
4. Resulting 600mL Naphtha will be washed
A. 1x pH 10 Sodium Carbonate Solution
B. 2x d-H2O
5. Washed Naphtha will be reduced to 300mL by evaporation and frozen for 48 hours
6. Remaining naphtha will be poured off crystals and saved for a rainy day
7. Crystals will be allowed to dry completely before weighing and bottling.
A/B extractions yield larger amounts of higher purity product. They are chemically more efficient than STB extractions, and require only a further investment of the chemist's time, at most tripling the time required for an extraction.
1. If A/B extractions are more efficient than STB, then performing an A/B with identical stock solutions, solvents, and botanicals will yield a larger amount of higher purity product.
2. Working with 100g MHRB will probably not conclusively show higher efficiency in A/B extractions. However, a recrystallization may be undertaken on the STB spice in an attempt to purify it to a point visually comparable to the A/B extract. The respective weights of these samples I am certain will show that A/B extractions yield higher quantities of more pure DMT than STB extractions.
Freddy is awaiting a shipment of botanicals and intends to document the testing of this hypothesis within 2 weeks.
Questions for Topiates:
1. Is the extraction procedure correct for both types of extractions?
2. Has Freddy overlooked any step in the procedures?
3. Your predictions regarding the hypothesis, accept or reject?
4. Will this experimental design accurately show which extraction is more efficient?
Edited by wharfrat, 19 June 2016 - 04:01 PM.