63 replies to this topic

#41 justweed

justweed

Friend of the Devil

• Validating
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:33 PM

Yes, 1% is not too uncommon at all.
In fact b4 Toads' bark 1% was kinda what one was shooting for.
Haven't worked w/ Toads' bark yet but have heard great things and will prolly pick some up to give a whirl.
Also, I think some spice might get missed. I get my initial yields and then like to let the basic material sit and continue to break down. Then add a little more lye to make sure the pH is still high enough and then do a few more pulls. always seems to be worth the extra effort. Unless one has tons of bark around and can afford to be less thorough.
:weedpoke:

Just did the same on some old cacti material I had left around and got some very nice mescaline for my troubles. I'll have to post a pic in another thread so as to not hijack this one! :lol:

Please do post, I'd love to see :)

I've got my 2 jugs sitting in my closet now with little-no naphtha in them, I'll be shaking once daily (before bed) for 4-5 days, then I'm going to try another pull. Should be interesting to see the results, especially since I haven't seen what my full-final yield is.

#42 calistoner

calistoner

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:41 PM

I've got my 2 jugs sitting in my closet now with little-no naphtha in them, I'll be shaking once daily (before bed) for 4-5 days, then I'm going to try another pull. Should be interesting to see the results, especially since I haven't seen what my full-final yield is.

thats basically what im doing, i did three pulls on the first batch.

i got nice white spice by gently turning the jug over end to end and rolling it around gently. then extracted the naptha. got like .1 of white spice.

after that id put it in and then just shake the shit out it while its very warm then id get a decent amount of yellow naptha. i got like .3 - .4 of spice. not really though sure due to smoking it before final dry weight was added.

i got my second extraction going, i used 38 grams of bark, 500 ml of water and 40 grams of lye. i froze it in a big pyrex dish overnight, which IMO works way better then the putting it in jars, but only because i like things done fast. by the time i woke up the pan was covered in yellow crystals.

im going to weigh this pull due to me only using < 40 grams because i want to know the results.

:flamer:

#43 justweed

justweed

Friend of the Devil

• Validating
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:37 AM

thats basically what im doing, i did three pulls on the first batch.

i got nice white spice by gently turning the jug over end to end and rolling it around gently. then extracted the naptha. got like .1 of white spice.

after that id put it in and then just shake the shit out it while its very warm then id get a decent amount of yellow naptha. i got like .3 - .4 of spice. not really though sure due to smoking it before final dry weight was added.

i got my second extraction going, i used 38 grams of bark, 500 ml of water and 40 grams of lye. i froze it in a big pyrex dish overnight, which IMO works way better then the putting it in jars, but only because i like things done fast. by the time i woke up the pan was covered in yellow crystals.

im going to weigh this pull due to me only using < 40 grams because i want to know the results.

:flamer:

Very nice.

I didn't bother with any slow turning or rolling, I just always shake the shit out of them, then right back into the heat bath. I try to do it like this.
Add naphtha to the bottles, shake vigorously, add to heat bath.
After 30 minutes of sitting, you should see separation beginning, which is a good time to shake again.
Place in the heat bath another 30-60 minutes, then extract naphtha.
Freeze, evap, or do whatever you wish from there :)

#44 opiatoker

opiatoker

gizmologist

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:20 AM

something i've noticed, is after doing the naptha pull warm or hot since doing it that way tends to pull more jungle / yellow spice, if i let it cool even to the point of it all clouding up, if i pour it into another container for freezing, but leaving the bottom 1/8" or so, it will produce whiter xtals. the jungle and darker stuff crashes out first which is why the bottom of the dish is always yellower than the sides. so if you let that part crash out, then pour the rest to another dish it seems to improve the quality of the entire batch.

#45 justweed

justweed

Friend of the Devil

• Validating
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:28 AM

Thanks for the tip! Cleaning it works as well :)

#46 calistoner

calistoner

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:34 AM

yeah JW you do the same as me. i shake it, put in a bath, let it settle, repeat

i cannot wait to get a pound of this stuff. im not a fan of yellow spice so im going to clean up my future pulls with bestine to get the cleanest product i can. i know it takes alot the amount away, but im ok with seeing as how that yellow stuff is quite intense. ill leave that for another day

#47 justweed

justweed

Friend of the Devil

• Validating
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 09:53 AM

yeah JW you do the same as me. i shake it, put in a bath, let it settle, repeat

i cannot wait to get a pound of this stuff. im not a fan of yellow spice so im going to clean up my future pulls with bestine to get the cleanest product i can. i know it takes alot the amount away, but im ok with seeing as how that yellow stuff is quite intense. ill leave that for another day

White's quite intense as well my friend. I dont' worry about cleaning either, not until I've got 10g+ at least. As long as I'm freezing it I don't see a need to clean till I'm working with large amounts of spice, and only then just for the fun of doing it/seeing huge white crystalies :)

#48 bumber

bumber

Sporocarpus Fruiticus

• Expired Member
  • 308 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:52 AM

how does more containers give better yields? Aren't you using more naphtha than what you would need for one big pull, and doing 3 pulls per 2-3 container would be the better than 6-9 pulls on one container?

I dont understand this one.

#49 justweed

justweed

Friend of the Devil

• Validating
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:23 PM

how does more containers give better yields? Aren't you using more naphtha than what you would need for one big pull, and doing 3 pulls per 2-3 container would be the better than 6-9 pulls on one container?

I dont understand this one.

More containers=more surface area. Easiest way I can say it, I'll let someone else explain it better....or I'll come back sober sometime :rasta:

#50 calistoner

calistoner

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:10 PM

smaller batches just makes it easier. and if you do it right, you dont waste or use any more naptha then you normally would doing one big batch. plus its easier for the naptha to come in contact with all the bark.

but i have only done this a few times. i could be mistaken :lol:

#51 bumber

bumber

Sporocarpus Fruiticus

• Expired Member
  • 308 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 07:59 PM

that makes sense guys, just didnt know how it was better than doing more pulls on one container...you should get the same results after the same number of pulls, you would think. (6-9 instead of just 3)

#52 opiatoker

opiatoker

gizmologist

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:51 PM

it's not about the naptha coming into contact with the bark. not at all. its about the naptha giving the alkaloids a place to escape to, once they are basified and no longer water soluble. they will rise to the top whether there is naptha there or not. but since they are not water soluble and float to the top, and they are soluble in naptha and especially warm naptha they get absorbed in it.

I prefer to not do very small ones unless just experimenting. its a lot of work to put in to only get a gram, or half a gram.

#53 calistoner

calistoner

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:16 AM

for sure. seeing as how this is my first time though, id say that this is a great little trick to figuring out which spice suits you so when you eventually do bigger batches you will get it at the right shade that you prefer :D

i cannot wait to get some more bark

#54 justweed

justweed

Friend of the Devil

• Validating
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:41 PM

So decided to re-x with heptane today, I'm currently evaping my second and third pulls in the cabinet under my sink, should be done in 24-48 hours I'd guess. I'll post results when I get them :)

Now all that's left is one more pull of naphtha to evap down a bit and freeze out :D

#55 calistoner

calistoner

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:03 PM

thats awesome JW, i re-xed it with bestine. turned out great! looks so pure gorgeous. like shards of glass.

i took a picture but my idiot ass deleted it before i could upload it. ( hate having pics like that on my camera) but i will take another pic once my other batch is done drying :greenboun

#56 justweed

justweed

Friend of the Devil

• Validating
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:25 AM

Just a little update, I yieled about 2.5g off this, and I'm starting my second try with it. Drying out the results as I type!

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1274196278
Just out of the freeezer

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1274196278
My little drying pan :)

Attached Thumbnails

• 0518100950a.jpg
  • 0518101021a.jpg

#57 justweed

justweed

Friend of the Devil

• Validating
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:15 AM

Pics from the evap. Can't really see, but some pretty nice little crystal clusters in there.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0519100758a.jpg
  • 0519100752a.jpg
  • 0519100752b.jpg

#58 calistoner

calistoner

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 760 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:42 PM

so i just wanted to point this out.

SWIM got some more bark the other day..

he re-used a gatorade bottle.

well, when he put the lye in and shook it up, the bottle cracked and shot hot lye water all over him.

he wasnt wearing goggles but is thankful it didnt spray in his eye.

my point to this story is,

if you use a gatorade bottle to do you stb, ONLY USE ITS ONCE!

i repeat,

ONLY USE IT ONCE!

#59 pizark2

pizark2

hallucinaginusinghooligan

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:53 PM

couple of newb questions

can the naptha go straight to drying pan without freezer?

and if freezer is better option,is the cap left on or off during the freeze percip?

thanks and looking forward to my first journey!!

#60 McDozd

McDozd

In this moment

• OG VIP
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:03 PM

couple of newb questions

can the naptha go straight to drying pan without freezer?

and if freezer is better option,is the cap left on or off during the freeze percip?

thanks and looking forward to my first journey!!

1. yes you can just evap it all.
2. yes freezer is better option. I would leave it covered myself, but it won't matter. Cap off will kinda stink up your freezer and have a chance for water to get in and damage your yeild.
Good luck and happy :space:
MD
:headbang:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!