Contam...treatable via bleach dip? [merged]
Posted 24 February 2005 - 08:40 PM
now the other jars are very nice and white, but if you can see, there is a different taint on some parts of this jar. a greyish color. it kind of has its areas. the myc network seems to not be as strong in those areas. as if its either not myc, or fighting with the contam for that area. its moreso in spots on the side, and at the bottom, as you ride up the jar, the myc looks stronger and healthier.
basically, the history is as follows. the jars where nocced up, this was the slowest to colonize from the get go. as they went along i gave them a nice lil shake, everything is going great, but this jar is still the slowest to recover and then start again. all the other jars are done, this one just doesnt look so healthy. i dont know FOR SURE that its a contam, but my gut is it is, and im just going to bury it with my plant.
the last pic is of some myc up at the top of the jar, its sending out an S.O.S. lol. reaching out for a place to get away apparently.
what do you guys think?
Posted 24 February 2005 - 08:47 PM
Posted 24 February 2005 - 08:54 PM
Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:29 PM
Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:00 PM
Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:21 PM
Posted 25 February 2005 - 09:55 AM
Posted 25 February 2005 - 10:13 AM
Even if it's not a contaminant, I would see no reason to use a weak jar. It's too much trouble preparing your bulk substrates to use anything but the best. If one jar is way slower or weaker than all the others, I'd say toss it, contaminated or not.
and even so
i'd say that jar has multiple contams,
bacteria and mold both.
Posted 25 February 2005 - 10:22 AM
Posted 09 March 2005 - 09:09 AM
Posted 17 April 2005 - 09:45 AM
1. Is it recommended to replace water with
bleach-water for the 12-24 hour dunk?
I have done this, and I think they grew well.
Or should they be dunked normally, then
bleach dunked for only 10-15 minutes?
2. The ideal ratio is 1:200 bleach:water.
That is about 1 tablespoon per gallon.
3. I found posts in the archives that
suggest bleach dunking can lessen the
aborts and make larger healthier shrooms
grow. I have seen that too with my PFC's.
4. This is from a really old post from Hippie3...
Is this still valid, or is there new information?
"i got really big ones, too, after dunking/bleaching.
but only a few. of course they are all 2nd/3rd flush cakes,
so i wasn't expecting many.
i was going to post a pic of my milk-dunked/bleached babies
which were huge but, alas, they weighed so much that they
fell off the cakes when i moved them."
Anything to add at all here? Thanks!
Posted 17 April 2005 - 11:09 AM
Don't use bleach for the hydrating dunk. Just water.
Bleach dunk at 1:200 for 10 minutes or so.
Longer than that won't do much more good.
Bleach is only effective for about ten minutes after contact with organic matter.
Posted 17 April 2005 - 01:16 PM
the how's and why's
as to the occassional
huge bleach babies.
the phenomenon is not consistent,
and no one seems able to create it
it just happens from time to time.
Posted 15 November 2005 - 07:18 PM
They have 2 small bins with the straw sitting for later purposes.
On the straw you can see small little pin sized dots of some type of mold/fungus. At first you woudl think it was mushy until you see the pattern(not branching out and spotty).
I'm wondering since it's still relatively soona dn it hasn't overcome the straw fully yet.
Can my friend redo the lime and add in the bleach process?
I'm thinking that since it's started to grow that the bleach will actually do a better job on it now that it's not a spore. Then the lime will help fend off any extras.
This sound doable or should my friend just toss the straw? BTW it's hard to find in my friends area.
Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:37 AM
Posted 16 November 2005 - 11:17 AM
i would just toss that area that is contamed and re-pasturize it
also i wouldn't pasturize straw or anything untill needed..
best to store the straw dry untill you need it.. then pasturize.. b/c once it gets wet contams will try to take it over
Posted 16 November 2005 - 12:03 PM
Posted 01 March 2006 - 12:59 AM
Highlighted in green is the contam. It appears as a brownish growth. It appeared before I saw the mycelia.
Highlighted in red is the Mycelia.
What are your thoughts?
Its hard for me to let it go..