• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 theMallacht

theMallacht

Cacti Farmer

• Expired Member
  • 271 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:57 PM

Already posted this over at shroomery, but I'm beginning to really like this forum so I thought I'd share with you guys as well. :)

This tea can be used on just about anything and is amazing for plants. I use it on my: Trichocereus in-ground army (over 20 in-ground trichs, some over 4 ft), Kratom, Psychotria viridis, Khat, Calea zacatechichi, Salvia, HBWR, Morning Glory, Miracle fruit, Beans, Tomatoes, Squash, Zucchini, Peppers, Broccoli, Tobacco, Roses, the list goes on and on...

Note: Essentially what you are doing is creating a culture of beneficial Aerobic bacteria. When water sits for a long time without moving, it eventually becomes bacteria ridden and disgusting because of the fact that the harmful bacteria, or Anaerobic (anti-air) bacteria thrive in an environment lacking oxygen. So, when you use the bubblers to oxygenate the water, you are creating an environment that is perfect for the beneficial, Aerobic bacteria thus creating a thriving culture of them. Beneficial bacteria help break down components in soil that would otherwise be useless to plants and render them more immediately available.

I have had fantastic results using worm tea... and since I vermicompost (worm farm) I'm pretty much completely self-sufficient and rarely have to buy fertilizers. Plus, it's a great way to "go green". My worms eat our leftover organic table scraps, as well as my shredded bank statements, junk mail, cardboard, etc. All of that stuff should be composted and back in the earth were it belongs, not filling up landfills.

Materials Needed:
-Enough Worm Castings to fill around 2 socks (for teabags)
-2 socks
-Molasses, I have read Black Strap Molasses is specifically better
-Airstones (preferably 4 or more)
-Air Pumps for the Airstones
-Standard 5 Gal Bucket -

Here's a picture of what mine looks like without water:
Posted Image

As you can see, there is 4 Airstones in the bottom. I have recently made improvements and tied the smaller ones to the large one. The reason I have done this is because the smaller ones tend to end up floating when they work much better fixed to the bottom.

Here is a picture with it connected to the Air Pumps:
Posted Image

A pic of the Grandma's Black Strap Molasses
Posted Image

With water added and bubbling...
Posted Image

-2-3 Tablespoons of Grandma's Black Strap Molasses added to the bucket.
-2 socks about halfway full of worm castings added to the bucket.
Posted Image

This is overkill but thought I'd share...
I wired a pump with a switch, like this
Posted ImagePosted Image

...so that I could more easily fill one gallon jugs to keep up with all of my plants, but it also works out to further aerate the tea as well.

Of course this is somewhat overkill, but I've found that it helps to create the large amount of frothy foam that you're looking for before it's ready for use.

It should be bubbling for anywhere from 48-72 hrs (Some say more), but the foam is the real guide IME. The more foam the better. I have read that the foam is directly insinuative that there is a large amount of beneficial bacteria present.

So FOAM = Ready for use.

I have heard other people say add things like an extra sock full of fresh soil from the garden to help jump start the beneficials, since garden soil tends to already have a lot of it, unless it's horrible soil of course.

There's a lot of other stuff that you could add I suppose, but I like to keep things simple and my plants are thriving like crazy so I don't feel the need to add anything more.

Anyway, that's about it... Enjoy!

Edited by theMallacht, 18 May 2010 - 09:19 PM.

• tenjin likes this

#2 Erkee

Erkee

Trolls'R'us

• Expired Member
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:22 PM

:bow:Wow!
Thanks for this.

#3 -=Zeus=-

-=Zeus=-

-= In The Flow =-

• OG VIP
  • 2,019 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:24 PM

Excellent and informative post! I bet that tea does a mighty fine job. :bow:

#4 Frequency

Frequency

Code Demon

• OG VIP
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:42 PM

Moved to Grassroots :weedpoke::rasta:

#5 theMallacht

theMallacht

Cacti Farmer

• Expired Member
  • 271 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:51 PM

Yeah it sure does. I :heart: worm tea, and my worms. I'm all about it. I'm kind of an obsessive advocate of worm farming now, I try to get everyone I know to do it. So far I've gotten a few people dedicated to it, a couple good friends of mine. It's the best thing in the world. As I said, they eat my leftover organic table scraps and bank statements, and turn it into some of the richest, if not THE richest organic compost in the world. Worm castings are full of beneficial bacteria, micro and macronutrients, a good solid NPK that's not too high, I believe around 3-2-2, and they actually make vegetables more nutritious for you because of the beneficial bacteria and worms incredible ability in having immune-supporting properties.
  • usagolden likes this

#6 ShroomGuerilla

ShroomGuerilla

Myco-Monkey

• Expired Member
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:15 AM

that looks like a mighty tasty tea...for yer plants.
:weedpoke:

#7 tenjin

tenjin

dizzy with possibilities

• Expired Member
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:25 AM

wow very nice! i like your pump set up too!
+rep!

#8 usagolden

usagolden

A Tin Can Banana

• OG VIP
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:50 AM

worm farming is great!
do you use your worm tea for your cacti, mal
perhaps a little diluted?

#9 theMallacht

theMallacht

Cacti Farmer

• Expired Member
  • 271 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:31 PM

worm farming is great!
do you use your worm tea for your cacti, mal
perhaps a little diluted?

Yes, I do in fact use it for all of my Trichocereus cacti, usually undiluted actually.

Worm Tea tends to not have a very high NPK considering it's really not that much worm castings to a whole bunch of water. The important thing that one is getting out of the castings is the microbials, the beneficial bacteria that I mention.

My Trichs seem to love it though. Every time I give them worm tea it seems like the next day or next couple of days I'm bound to see a whole bunch of new pups. Every single one of my bridgesii's has anywhere from 2-7 pups (at once) on it, most of them have more than 3.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!