5 replies to this topic

#1 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:21 PM

posted by FooManShroom

"OK, first off, this method that I am about to explain isn't anything new or revolutionary. This is just the way I prepare my WBS prior to PC'ing. It is basically just simmering your WBS, but without having to keep an eye on the stove or stirring. I find that doing this eliminates the need for an overnight soak. I call it my "Soak and Simmer", because it seems to accomplish both the soaking and simmering in one step and only takes an hour or two as opposed to waiting overnight for your grains to soak.

Before you start, get your quart jar lids set up with your inoculation holes, Tyvek, polyfil, micropore, etc. I'm not getting into detail on that because there are about a thousand different ways that you can set up your lids and I'm sure that no matter which way I explain it, someone will have a better way!

The first thing I do is take my quart jars and fill them a little less than half way with my dry WBS:
901327872-dryWBSquart1.jpg
You want to do this for however many jars you'll be preparing. The WBS I'm using here is Pennington's Brand Finch Seed. I have also done this with Pennington's regular WBS and other brands with the same results.

The next step is to get a pot of water boiling on the stove. You want it at a full rolling boil:
901348390-rollingboil.jpg
Once it's at a rolling boil, turn off the stove and move the pot to another burner. Then take your quart jars of dry WBS and pour them into the just boiled water:
901367845-pouringgrain.jpg
The reason for moving the pot to another burner is that the one you used to boil the water on is still very hot and I find that I get more bursted grains if I don't do this. With a gas stove you probably wouldn't bother with this step. I am also using a small pot filled only about half way with water. You will need a pot big enough to hold your WBS and water. Remember, the water will rise when you add the seed in!

Then put the lid on the pot:
901374335-closinglid.jpg
The lid should be tight fitting because you want the steam to be held inside as well as possible.

Now you just wait for an hour or so. It won't hurt to go a bit longer, but I usually do this for an hour with success. The good thing here is that you can leave your house if you want because you're not leaving the stove on or having to keep an eye on the pot for any reason.

Then open the pot:
901412158-boiledWBS.jpg
Pour the pot out into a strainer:
901412164-strainingWBS.jpg
Then rinse the seeds well:
901427896-rinsingWBS.jpg
After rinsing, you want the excess water to drain. I myself don't wait a half hour or anything for this step, I just shake the the strainer like a chef does on the cooking shows until I don't see more than a drop or two of water.

Once this is done, load up the jars:
901427901-scoopingWBS1.jpg
The seeds will have expanded now, so just divide them evenly into however many jars you used. Some brands of WBS may expand more then others depending on the types of seeds used. As you see here, what was once a little less then half full is now a little over half full:
901479881-cookedWBSquart.jpg

Once they're filled, cap the jars and put foil, coffee filters or whatever else you use to stop water from dripping on your lids and place them in the PC.
915685667-jarsinPC.jpg
I cook the jars for about an hour @ 15-20psi:
915685677-pressuregauge.jpg
Once the time is up, I turn off the stove and wait for the pressure to drop down to zero. Open the PC and take the jars out with oven mitts on and shake them to keep the grains loose. Then I set them back into the PC and let them cool overnight.

The finished result:
901479881-cookedWBSquart.jpg
My jars prepared like this always seem to have the perfect moisture content.

So, does it work Foo?
915792291-WBS_90.jpg
This is about 7 days after 3cc multispore inoculation in a TiT kept at 85F. (Puerto Rican strain). "
  • Earthling likes this

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:35 PM

addenda:

tighten the lids beforehand. Remember, you should have filtered holes with polyfil, Tyvek, micropore, etc that allow steam to escape through the lid.

archive material

Attached Thumbnails

• 928095519-madseason_003.jpg

#3 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:54 PM

Posted by Agar
110242949-wbs_rye_rape.jpg
"This is a 5 gallon bucket of 50% wbs / 45% rye / 5% rape seed (just my personal seed mix preferance - as it will fruit well alone (cased)- or make premium spawn into bulk).
It was filled 2/3rds full of dry seed & enough water to cover content, left to soak overnight @ room temp.
12 hours into soak, was checked & seed had expanded above water. More water was added, to cover seed & content stirred.
This afternoon was checked again. Seed had expanded to fill bucket. Meaning expansion factor of about 33.3%
A few differing seeds were picked out - to see if they would crush (easy) between thumb & forefinger nail. They all did.
110299410-wbs_rye_rape_ready.jpg
(note crushed rye grain on stir spoon)
Meaning - seed / grain is fully hydrated. IMHO - NO SIMMER IS NEEDED or REQUIRED. Simmering will only draw out starch's & make seed / grain sticky.
Next step - rinse in collander, drain until no drips & jar up.
Thumb & forefinger nail cleaving test is simple - easy & about foolproof. No set soak time limit. Just soak until seed/grain will split in half from fingernail pressure."
addenda:

"RAPE", as in canola......... about $18 per 50lb bag - ordered from any feed & seed store.
Rapeseed is a very tiny seed, about pin head size & loaded with oils.
So much oil, you do not want to use over 10%. Otherwise, you will have problems.

Attached Thumbnails

• 680089610-rape_1_dry.jpg

• Earthling likes this

#4 xxanxx

xxanxx

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 174 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 06:58 PM

^^That's exactly how we prepare our jars. It's one of the best methods IMO, especially for WBS. Good thread!

#5 motograter

motograter

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 603 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 07:23 PM

Nice write up hippie. I'll try this out next time I do wbs.

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 07:34 PM

all the credit belongs to
FooManShroom
i am but a humble scribe...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!