Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:35 PM

:eusa_naug I prefer sausage... :love:But I love BACON

#162 Shamsu

Shamsu

Forever Searching

• Expired Member
  • 439 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:03 PM

Has anyone tried "cadied" bacon. place the thick cut bacon in a pan and add salt and pepper, then rub on some brown or spicy mustard. then cover the bacon with brown sugar. rub it in, flip and repeat if desired. place in the oven around 350 untill done. keep an eye on it at the end so you only carmelize the sugar not burn it.

My favorite bacon for sandwiches and just eating by its self.
  • TurkeyRanch likes this

#163 Guest_Glasshopper_*

Guest_Glasshopper_*

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:59 PM

Never fry bacon naked.............

I learned long ago working in resturants to bake bacon in the oven
way easier than trying to fry that much and less splatter zone to clean

And yes you can do it naked!

#164 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,103 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:18 PM

And yes you can do it naked!

thats the only way to do it!

#165 the dreamer

the dreamer

hoping for a new way

• Expired Member
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:34 PM

I saw last month was bacon month at dennys and they had a bacon and maple syrup shake.

#166 booma

booma

Myconoob

• Expired Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:26 PM

i definitely posted this pic on another thread, sorry to be repetitive but im not really sure if anyone paid attention haha. i didnt realize there was a thread dedicated to bacon! i made this for a customer whose husband apparently L O V E S bacon on an obsessive level... i swear to you that's buttercream frosting haha, i didnt think it looked too appetizing but she was over the moon about it.

Attached Thumbnails

• bacon cake.jpg

#167 SilvrHairDevil

SilvrHairDevil

Gatekeeper

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:07 AM

I made this a few days ago because bags of fresh spinach were on sale at the local grocery.

BBQ Oysters Florentine in Spaghetti Squash

Spaghetti squash
Oysters
Spinach
2 lime or lemon quarters
Tartar or tzatziki sauce (or both)
Bacon strips

Microwave your spaghetti squash for 5 min or so until you can split it in half length-wise. Scrap out the seeds.

Drizzle cut faces with olive oil, season with salt & pepper, put puddle of Tartar or tzatziki sauce in cavity.

Rinse spinach, then sauté in covered pan ‘til wilted with ¼ lemon or lime squeezed on. – takes moments only. Drain.

Place spinach in squash cavity, arrange oysters on top. Squeeze ¼ lemon or lime on oysters, dot with Tartar or tzatziki sauce, then place one layer of bacon strips over everything.

Place on BBQ grill over low flame for about ½ hour or until done.

#168 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:15 AM

Bump, cause I love bacon, and there are some killer recipes and ideas in here.
  • kcmoxtractor likes this

#169 nomadicAI

nomadicAI

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 346 posts

Donator

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

You know what is great with bacon?

More bacon.

:dance:

For me, it's avocado and chilli... and more bacon.

homer-simpson-2-the-simpsons-15836214-27

#170 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:57 PM

Bump for more bacon! This thread sat idle for most of my hiatus, give us more bacon awesomeness!

Ok, more bacon time. Pics of my bacon weave turkey to come shortly.

#171 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,582 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2014 - 06:03 PM

EVERTHING is better with bacon.
  • TurkeyRanch likes this

#172 Saphroziac

Saphroziac

Hotbrained Dyanamitard

• OG VIP
  • 616 posts

Donator

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:04 PM

BACON ON PIZZA!

• GadgetGuy likes this

#173 anticheffy

anticheffy

Nice to be back in the air !

• OG VIP
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:53 PM

The noble pig, reveled, lauded and lamented, but never unappreciated by the masses....best served thinly sliced or in tube form...

• GadgetGuy, TurkeyRanch, wharfrat and 1 other like this

#174 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 13,597 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2014 - 11:49 PM

So, a traveling salesman comes up on a farmhouse porch and rings the bell. He hears movement inside and waits.  He looks to his right and sees a large hog with a peg leg and scarring all down one side of its body, there reclined on a chaise longe.  Next to the hog was a Stirling silver tea service with hors d'oeuvres and a large bowl of cream. 

The farmer opens the door and the salesman begins his shtick, but soon begins to stammer.  "Sir," he says, "I'm sorry, but I could not help but notice that large hog right there." 

The farmer says, "Glad you should bring that up.  As a matter of fact, that is, IMHO, the world's greatest hog, much respected hereabouts."

"Do tell?" said the salesman.

"Well friend, that hog has, on more than one occasion, saved my life. Nothing is too good for her." 

"Is that right?"

"We could never express the love we hold for that creature," the farmer added.

"This is amazing," continued the salesman.  But then, a cloud descended over his countenance and he inquired, "but what has happened to its leg and how did it get that terrible scar on its side?"

The farmer's grin straightened as his eyes lowered slightly, "Well mister, with a hog that special, you just wouldn't want to eat her all at once."

• Skywatcher, Juthro, wharfrat and 1 other like this

#175 GadgetGuy

GadgetGuy

~Resident Perv~

• Expired Member
  • 3,015 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 January 2015 - 12:58 AM

Yeah, totally doing this soon although I've been threatening to for a long time

Attached Thumbnails

• BACONPANCAKES.jpg

• TurkeyRanch, Juthro and SteampunkScientist like this

#176 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 7,582 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2019 - 03:51 PM

Bacon & Onion Jam :)

• 1 lb. thick cut bacon
• 2 large onions, quartered and thickly sliced
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 1/3 cup strong brewed coffee
• 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1. Cut the bacon into half-inch slices and add them to a large frying pan. Don't worry if the bacon pieces stick together, they will come apart as they cook. Cook over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently until the bacon is cooked but still quite chewy. A few crispy bit are ok.

2. Using a slotted spoon remove the bacon from the pan and set aside. Pour out all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings.

3. Add the onions to the pan and cook for about 8-10 minutes then reduce the heat to low. Add the sugar and stir. Continue to cook until the onions have caramelized, about 20 minutes. Add the coffee, 1/2 cup of water and the reserved bacon and increase the heat to medium. Continue to cook, stirring about every five minutes, until the onions are thick and jam-like, about 30 minutes.

4. Remove from heat and stir in the balsamic.

The USDA advises against the home canning of any kind of cured meat, as they haven't adequately proven that it's safe through government testing.   They do however allow for the commercial canning of cured meats.  I personally don't think that additions of curing agents that are there to eliminate the bacterial growth of pathogens like botulism are going to increase the chances that these pathogens will be present, and/or that they will survive a cycle through the pressure canner.   So I PC my bacon jam for long term, shelf stable storage. This is a wonderful treat to bust out at parties, camping trips, or anywhere else for that matter.

75min @ 10psi for pints or half pints <1000' (same as any uncured red meat product)

I'm telling you that I think it is safe, but I have no scientific studies that say it is so.  Please make up your own mind, and don't just take my word for it.  If the canning makes you uncomfortable, you can refrigerate it for up to a week with no problems.

• SteampunkScientist and Cuboid like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!