#1 Dipole

Dipole

Legalize Cannabis

• OG VIP
  • 3,388 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:45 PM

Does anyone have any idea why my poor peppers look so miserable? The weather is good, direct sun most of the day, they have been recently transplanted. The plants didn't show any sign of transplant shock, that is they didn't wilt. Something has feasted on it, slugs and snail are the usual suspects.

I hope these guys can get with it and make me some hot peppers. I think they will make little peppers that can be pickled whole.
:eusa_pray

#2 Dipole

Dipole

Legalize Cannabis

• OG VIP
  • 3,388 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:51 PM

I know, I know. How about some pics!

Pepper 1.JPG

Pepper 2.JPG

I have 7 peppers, they all look the same.

#3 The Biggest Brat

The Biggest Brat

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:28 AM

This looks fairly blighty to me, if it was tomatoes I would say for sure it is a blight. I am not so sure about what ails peppers though.
One problem could be broad leaf herbicides in your fertilizer, did you use your own compost, composted manure, or store bought stuff?
I have seen something like this that attacked hundreds of broad leaf plants, tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, and more, except it was more pronounced. It ended up being an herbicide that was sprayed on grass hay fields that cows ate and passed through their system. Eventually it ended up in a manure compost pile that sat over a winter and was applied in the spring, still holding enough active chemical to literally wipe out hundreds of plants.

Those are my two guesses, a pathogen or an herbicide. Ill bet if you think about it more you might think of a possible point of contamination for either thing.

-Brat
  • mycowarrier likes this

#4 superpeyotebros

superpeyotebros

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 514 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:51 AM

Try flushing the soil out with lots of water.

#5 tenjin

tenjin

dizzy with possibilities

• Expired Member
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:05 AM

ya those white specks on leaves do look like some kind of blight or something. as for the way the leaves look (minus the white spots), alot of my leaves look like that after they have been indoors for a while and just put outside. usually after outside some time under the sun, it grows new normal looking shoots/leaves and the deformed leaves stay on the bottom old growth. looks like they haven't been outside long and been indoors for quite a while.

#6 Ben Dover

Ben Dover

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:31 AM

Maybe it need Mg?

I know sometimes when reefer leaves curl up they are ask for Mg.

If it is, a tablespoon of epsom salt to a gallon will help cure it. It can't hurt it either way.

#7 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,625 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:34 AM

put some sticky strips around and see what you catch.

#8 Dipole

Dipole

Legalize Cannabis

• OG VIP
  • 3,388 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:11 PM

Yeah, I have been meaning to go to my local nursery and get a copper foil strip that I can but around my pots. It is suppose to keep the slimey guys out. If it is too expensive I will get some sticky strips.

I used brand new potting soil, the same stuff that successfully brought in a crop of the reefer-madness. I have not added any ferts, I didn't want to burn their young roots.

I took a closer look at the white specs. It is dirt/dust. I moved the plants to a location that is more isolated from the slugs and snails.

I started these babies from seed and are around 2 month old now. Does it make sense if I have under fertilized them? I don't think I have over fertilized them, the potting soil is like the stuff that Hippie and many others on this good site have recommended for demanding plants.(No perlite, I didn't think peppers would be picky about well aerated soil. Oh, and no worm casting either.

Thanks for the help so far. :eusa_clap

#9 Ben Dover

Ben Dover

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:07 AM

Please, by all means, shop at your local store as it is great to support local business but you don't need to buy copper slug tape. Just get some 12 or 14 gage wire and strip it. Wrap around to your desired size, snip it and do the next. :)

Sounds like the need some food. They have been plenty old enough to get treatments of fertilizer. I like to lightly dose them up when they're about one to two inches tall. Two mouths with no food, wouldn't you be a little unhappy :D

Feed them and they should take off!

Good luck man!

#10 Dipole

Dipole

Legalize Cannabis

• OG VIP
  • 3,388 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:25 PM

Thanks Ben, you sold me. I'll give them a little snort. I'll post pics when I see an improvement.:D

#11 Dipole

Dipole

Legalize Cannabis

• OG VIP
  • 3,388 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:32 PM

I let my poor peppers spend most of the summer in pots. They slowly grew, but the leaves are small and wrinkled up. It watered them with RO water with a small dose of 5-5-5. Three weeks ago I transplanted them into the ground, in some good soil. They are growing healthier leaves and 3 are flowering now. The weather will probably be OK for the next 2 months.
Pepper #2.jpg

Pepper #3.jpg

Pepper #4.jpg
The following is a picture of my son's Thai Dragon that spent most of its summer in Davis, CA. It is the plant on the left. The poor thing fell out of my car when we moved it, and all of its big branches snapped off. Peppers are brittle compared to cannabis. We the plant took to its new home and is making peppers. Hot ones too!
Pepper #1.jpg

So peppers with wrinkled leaves = soil-less potted conditions.

#12 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:31 AM

i think it maybe cyclamen broad mites...google it, take a 30x mag to the new growth area and hold it there for a few seconds,,they are very very slow and small... how small? smaller than a Trichome and 3x smaller than spider mites..so keep staring if you see something move ...check it closer,, them bastid ruin 3 NL crops

sj
  • MrChen likes this

#13 cym

cym

Forming Member

• OG VIP
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:59 AM

it may be as simple as little aphids under the leaves?

i dunno, they are usually little green bastards and you just need to spray them with a spray bottle. drown their asses when you water your plants.

#14 Dipole

Dipole

Legalize Cannabis

• OG VIP
  • 3,388 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:02 PM

Thanks guys. A good look using my Lupe, which magnifies trichomes nicely, shows no mites and no aphids of any variety. The plants have been pest free all summer long. The new growth looks relatively good. There are lots of tiny flowers, no settings yet though. Go peppers go!

#15 Dipole

Dipole

Legalize Cannabis

• OG VIP
  • 3,388 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:54 PM

I finally have an update concerning my poor peppers. They all got much happier being in my planter. There are hundreds of peppers in them right now.
All Peppers.jpg

Peppers 1.jpg

Peppers 2.jpg

Peppers 3.jpg

Thai Dragon.jpg
The Thai Dragon has very healthy looking foliage and is full of peppers. They are hard to see because they are dark green and skinny.

#16 Dipole

Dipole

Legalize Cannabis

• OG VIP
  • 3,388 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:04 PM

The peppers survived the winter well enough to leaf out on most of the old wood. These peppers set very nicely. I hope they grow bigger fruit this time. The largest pepper is 3/4" long.

Chilies 3.jpg

I think there is something in my garden that does not agree with peppers, the growth is wrinkled and stunted. It is cool how the peppers all stand up on end. I think this is probably more of an ornamental variety. The peppers make for a very hot pickle with a different flavor.

Pint of Pickled Peppers.jpg

The Thai Chili is setting extremely well

Thai Dragon.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• Chilies 2.jpg
  • Chilies 1.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!