• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Spider Monkey

Spider Monkey

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:49 PM

A FOAF noc'ed up a batch of brown rice cakes, and right as they are reaching 100% colonization, every last one of them is getting rust colored pin point splotches on the bottom of the jars.

What's going on here? Why is every single jar having this problem? It seems unusual that it's in the bottom of the jar every time.

I removed the contaminated jars as soon as I realized something was awry and went through all the proper sterilization techniques.

#2 toadshroom

toadshroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 491 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:55 PM

Do you have any pics?

I've had lipstick mold problems before....really funky bright red/rust colored....could be the problem?

Another time I actually had some real rust in the bottom of my jars....I used a dremel tool to make my wholes in my pf jars, but didn't get out all of the metal bits that were left behind....which eventually caused rust spots in my jars.

#3 Spider Monkey

Spider Monkey

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:00 PM

See, his first thought was that it actually was rust, but given the sheer quantity of jars that have officially contracted this (roughly 18), he is sure that it's not just rust any more.

Lipstick mold was his next thought, and he's not happy that every single jar is contracting it so late in the process, especially considering his extreme close attention to detail and cleanliness during this whole process.

#4 Spider Monkey

Spider Monkey

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:07 PM

Here is one of his pictures.

Posted Image

#5 Spider Monkey

Spider Monkey

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:50 PM

He decided to go ahead and birth a few of the contaminated jars just to see where things went from there.

It was during this process, he distinctly remembers having to use a brand new set of lids for all his jars and it's now extremely possible it is just rust. He feels a little silly, but is still hoping for the best.

#6 Bulk

Bulk

Plausibly Deniable

• Free Member
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:04 PM

I don't think it's mold dude.... Could be verm or BRF that's cooked to the bottom of the jar so tight that the mcy cant get around it. Try banging it a bit so it comes off the bottom of the jar then put it back i the fc to recover.
See if the spot colonizes.

#7 extrememetal43

extrememetal43

The Jester's Mad Chemist

• Free Member
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:50 PM

I think your fine too man!

#8 toadshroom

toadshroom

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 491 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:18 PM

looks good to me...

Nice rhyzo's too :)

Sending you good vibes for a successful fruiting!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: colored, contam, rust

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!