• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 Dude13

Dude13

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 12:28 AM

Wow, this is interesting. I have always had an interest in growing cacti, and I had heard of grafting cactus but had no idea why people did it. Is there any available information online about specifically grafting peyote? I know peyote takes many years to mature, but about how long will it take to mature with grafting?

Thanks!

#42 cheech

cheech

wizard of sorts

• Expired Member
  • 574 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:07 AM

here's a pic of the two pups that have developed so far. the third button i grafted (to the large pedro) is just about to "burst" one. these two appeared about 5 weeks after the tops were sliced off and have grown pretty fast. the larger is just under an inch in diameter, the smaller about 3/4".
another plant i had produced it's second flower, which developed into a little red berry. it was stolen by ants or something. i should have brought the plant indoors for safekeeping. i will next time.

Attached Thumbnails

• pups 8-13-06.JPG

#43 Fungusaurus

Fungusaurus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 316 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:24 PM

Damned ants or something! LOL

Thx for the pic cheech226.
I wonder to what extend its possible to use a root like that, or a grafting as a kind of mother peyote, cut off new buttons, graft them, new buttons continously popping from the mother. I would feel bad though, cutting up my few peyote, but if one had several maybe...

#44 cheech

cheech

wizard of sorts

• Expired Member
  • 574 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:54 PM

my friend came to visit and she brought her camera so i'm finally able to post some good pix of my garden. there's san pedro, myrtillo geometrizans, and pereskiopsis spathulata along with my willies.

Attached Thumbnails

• vicsspbeach-cactus 041.jpg
  • vicsspbeach-cactus 040.jpg
  • vicsspbeach-cactus 018.jpg
  • vicsspbeach-cactus 036.jpg
  • vicsspbeach-cactus 023.jpg

#45 Fungusaurus

Fungusaurus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 02:43 PM

Datsa nice garden indeed, cheech :)

Cool pic of that triple shooting spear

#46 Pedestrian

Pedestrian

Dreamspace Transient

• Expired Member
  • 572 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 02:53 AM

When you grow a seedling on a pereskiopsis.... The alkaliods are slim to none right? What is the case when you a have a Peyote on a san pedro. Is the root system from the pedro enough let the alkaloids build or does the pedro need to do it solo?

#47 basilisq

basilisq

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 06:12 AM

some of my pereskiopsisgraftings one small/new lophophora williamsii and one older ,two months old perhaps.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0141.JPG
  • IMG_0143.JPG
  • IMG_0139.JPG

• DualWieldRake likes this

#48 grimR

grimR

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 10:57 PM

this thread has greatly inspired me! I have heard so much about grafting this is the first pictorial I have seen though... when my peruvianus' sprout theyz getting grafted :)

oh yeah I had a quick question: if you graft a non active cactus over an active cactus do any alkaloids get passed over to the one above it?

thanks

#49 Pedestrian

Pedestrian

Dreamspace Transient

• Expired Member
  • 572 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:03 PM

if you graft a non active cactus over an active cactus do any alkaloids get passed over to the one above it?

thanks

I don't know for certain, but I HIGHLY doubt it..... since there is no "genetic machinery" in non active to actually be producing goodies. The non active would probably just feed of of it.

#50 Mystictrails

Mystictrails

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:25 AM

thats some cool stuff guys!!!! I wish I could grow cacti like that. Where I live theres not enough lite. Very nice pics everyone and props to anyone that grows the peyote

#51 PeopleCanFly

PeopleCanFly

ElectroMod

• Expired Member
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:17 PM

crazy!

im at my first grafting attempt myself with peyotes and perekiopsis

hope mine will go well!!

great thread and tasty pics!

PCF

#52 Guest_cactusplaza_*

Guest_cactusplaza_*

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:49 AM

I finally found time to graft my cactus seedlings(L.williamsii,T.pachanoi,T.peuvianus and T.werdemannianus)

onto Pereskiopsis velutina stocks.

Seeds germinated a month ago and Peresk cuttings were made at the same time, now they had rooted for sure and had fresh growth in the top. I made a test grafting some months ago to see if I could do this. Heres a pic of my first grafting, these 2 pics of it is 7weeks old.

And here is what it looks like now after 7 weeks in 400w hps light.

Ar last, some pics of todays work:
(not best quality, the hps light fucks with it/me)

One needs a steady hand and surgical precision to work with those tiny seedlings, a new clean scalpel is used to make the cuts, and the finished braftings are placed in a humid environment, in this case a plastic box with semi transparent plastic bag over it.
I'll update this once a month or so, wish me luck.
:cacti:

Hi, I lam new here. I really like your pictures. But I have a question. Why do you graft Trichocereus, it is a fast growing cactus, right?
Nice closeup of the Lophophora graft!!

#53 rocketman

rocketman

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,602 posts

Donator

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:41 AM

Hi Cactus Plaza and Welcome to Topia. I always recommend that beginners use the easier to come by trichocereus when grafting rather than the tougher to come by and usually more expensive lophs. It is good practice for you before you move up to lophs.

#54 Fungusaurus

Fungusaurus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 316 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:55 PM

Greetings CactusPlaza :) glad you like the pics

Why do you graft Trichocereus, it is a fast growing cactus, right?

Yeah but even faster when grafted...bout 4" in ½year and even more if tek is improved..

:cacti:

#55 Fungusaurus

Fungusaurus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 316 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 01:41 PM

Aaargh, can't help it, gotta update.... :amazed:

The main peyote button is app. 1" in diameter, the peruvianus grafting is app. 3"

Hm, somehow I missed a pic of the large pachanoi grafting....but the top has been cut off, leaving an inch of the spear on the pereskiopsis stem, it is shooting a new spear allready wich will be cut off to when reaching a size about 3-4" - looks like a quite prolific cactus-mother tek....

Attached Thumbnails

• TPtop.jpg
  • TP.jpg
  • LWpod2.jpg
  • LWpod1.jpg

• DualWieldRake likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!