Blue oysters on Popcorn to Straw grow log: outdoors ?
Posted 19 March 2006 - 12:48 PM
we're expecting a bloody blizzard
Posted 19 March 2006 - 11:29 PM
The outdoor grow is still chillin under an insulation of leaves though because it gets too cold, and i figure this is just like getting your casing to grow in an indoor fruiting chamber, you have to give it the heat and humidity for the mycelium to grow and i cant do that without some sort of insulation ... pics and a more detailed explination early this comming week.
Posted 21 March 2006 - 11:23 PM
This is sort of a layered casing. Over the last couple of weeks i have been thinking about Cubie projects. Mycelium needs warmth, humidity, and proection from the elements (only in the outdoors). The weather was nice for a while but then it got cold and i dont think it will heat up for a while so trying to sort of provide an incubation chamber for them outside, here is what i have come up with.
(Note:All watering is done with a watering can just a generic one)
As you can see there is some bush/foliage cover to prevent wind. Anyway...
These are the layers
Earth (of course)
2 inches of freshly mulched leaves (watered to medium moisture)
1/2 -3/4" compost
Log Covered with 1/2 - 3/4" compost ( the compost was taken out from under freshly raked leaves so it had a wonderful field moisture )
10-12" freshly mulched leaves these were slightly watered in layers, put some leaved down, then give the leaves a sprinkle of water then more leaves, they were by no means WET just a little sprinkle.
Then a blue Trashbag, staked down in 6 places, the idea of this was to keep in moisture and the darker color would attract and capture sunlight/heat. also prevent the leaves blowing away. you can see some condensation in one of the photos.
I have no idea if this will work. i figure i will plant it and then forget about it until it turns warm for like 2 weeks straight with more warm weather in the process, then uncover and see what happened. with any luck the compost mound will be a big white mound of mycelium, if not OH WELL ... comments and help welcome as always
Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:28 PM
a week is by gone,
how they looking ?
Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:05 PM
i did some careful excavation and was pleased to find that the plastic and leaves have done their job and the compost is still holding at a good field moisture. likewise they provide heat however i think i had the leaves too thick because the compost mound was somewhere around 45/55 degrees. so i took some leaves away to get more heat to the log and gave it a bit more water to keep humidity high and put the plastic over again. there was some knotting forming on the log and some obvious mycelium growth going on but i think it just needs some more heat and about 4-6 weeks of incubation. I will keep you all posted
Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:52 AM
Now what i have done is soaked some straw, let it drain, and mixed it with some more of the same compost thats on the log already as well as a generous amount of vermiculite. i would say almost equal parts verm and compost with slightly more straw. the second pis is what the verm and straw looks like and the third is of the three "casing" ingredients mixed together then "dusted" (if u will) over the log and mycelium. I replaced the plastic over the top and will forget about it for probably another three weeks. This final layer of straw/compost/verm will be the last layer i put on top.
Anyone have any ideas as to how i will know when to remove the plastic, will i see pins? white micelium? should i change from blue to clear plastic so the mycelium responds to the light and begins to pin under the plastic? any theories are welcome
Posted 15 April 2006 - 06:28 PM
Posted 07 May 2006 - 03:15 PM
Posted 07 May 2006 - 03:34 PM
I havnt been on the topia lately because its summer and that means hours upon hours of mt biking and i have a new girlfriend. as a result i have moved all projects outdoors. I also checked my oyster patch on Thursday and found these pinheads under the plastic. I cut an X in the cover and then replaced the plastic so the pinheads could get light and O2. I spent the next couple of days away and when i came home on Sunday AM i found this wonderful patch of oysters. They are a dense patch with heavy thick fruits. there are 3 more spotches of pinheads under the plastic and it would be nice if they produced at about the same size. enjoy the pics.