• Please log in to reply
2016 replies to this topic

#2001 Mycol

Mycol

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:28 AM

Seriously ? I’m glad I don’t have a place on the beach . Maybe in 200 years I will though lol
  • Moonless likes this

#2002 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,369 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:38 AM

I don't quite understand this... Developers would just adjust their plans to accommodate for the expected sea level rise... Also, only the highest quality improvements last 100 years and much of what is being built these days are not of the highest quality... Many of the buildings constructed would not be around to see the full extend of predicted sea level rise. Without significant upkeep, the economic life of most structures is around 50-60 years. The only place I can see where this would benefit the state is that there are some parcels that are not large enough to develop, given current zoning restrictions and setbacks, when future sea level rise is taken into consideration... Considering a high percentage of the N. Carolina coast line has already been developed and there is not a whole lot of vacant beach from property left, this just doesn't add up for me...

What am I missing here?

#2003 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,492 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2020 - 10:58 AM

I suspect that some of the intent behind the law (or maybe all of it) is to protect the entrenched interests that/who currently own the expensive beachfront real estate until they're able to dump, err I mean "sell" them without taking a loss.

It's inevitable that the reality of sea level rise will become impossible to deny, so the law seems to be a temporary "fix" that allows those who own or are otherwise invested in endangered coastal property to sell their holdings without taking a loss while they still can. It won't be long at all until a lot of beachfront property becomes impossible to have permanent structures on (or becomes a shallow lagoon), at which point no one would buy it at ANY price. Since we can't predict exactly when such properties will become worthless, all this law does is stall the arrival of that moment for a little while (or people's awareness that it's arrived, rather). The only reason to do that is to make it easier to sell such properties off to suckers with more money than sense (and there's no shortage of such people yet).

In other words, the law is pure fuckery in both intent and in execution.

• Juthro likes this

#2004 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 8,911 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 September 2020 - 01:06 PM

I agree, the law wasn't written for the benefit of the state, it was written by those in charge of the state for the benefit of themselves.

#2005 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,805 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 September 2020 - 10:16 AM

It would probably wreak havoc on their insurance rates too. I remember watching a television program years ago where they pointed out how ridiculous it is to just keep rebuilding these houses that get damaged by hurricanes every year. Rich people that barely visit the properties and use government disaster relief money to rebuild it over and over again. In the program they used some Trump properties on the east coast as an examples of the opulent waste

Edited by flashingrooster, 18 September 2020 - 10:20 AM.

• Moonless likes this

#2006 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 8,911 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 September 2020 - 02:59 PM

I think this may be an only in Alaska moment, our Alaska zoo, had a brown bear break into it, and kill an alpaca.

https://apnews.com/a...80c9462c479a9fb

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — A wild brown bear tunneled under perimeter fencing and killed a popular alpaca at the Alaska Zoo in Anchorage, officials said Wednesday. It was killed a day later by wildlife officials.

The bear had been hanging around the zoo, knocking over trash bins and breaking bear-proof latches before it got under the fence early Sunday when the facility was closed to the public.

“It went through the zoo and killed our older male alpaca, Caesar,” executive director Patrick Lampi said. “He was a crowd favorite.”

He said the 16-year-old alpaca had arrived at the zoo when he was a year old.

Caesar’s companion, a younger alpaca named Fuzzy Charlie, escaped and was found unharmed.

Alaska Fish and Game officials helped search the zoo for the bear after it killed Caesar. They used forward-looking infrared scopes, but the bear had left the zoo.

• Arathu and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#2007 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,302 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 September 2020 - 04:23 PM

Gotta sleep with a 12ga slug gun even in the city apartments.....wild browns breaking in and snatching folks out of bed.....

Hahahaha....... :tinfoil:........taking the car joy riding......

A

• Juthro and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#2008 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,492 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 September 2020 - 05:01 PM

Et tu, Brute the Brown Bear?

And I didn't know that anyone made rearward-looking IR scopes. I would have thought you could just turn around if you had a regular scope.

• Juthro likes this

#2009 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 8,911 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2020 - 02:43 PM

You just cant make this shit up so to speak.... :)  https://radiokenai.n...patrol-vehicle/

22-year-old Joshua Crouse of Soldotna, who had a warrant out for his arrest for a probation on escape and assault, was arrested at Short Stop gas station in Soldotna in the early morning hours on Sunday, September 27.

According to Alaska State Troopers, Crouse refused to cooperate and hid behind a wooden booth in the dining area of the gas station. He reportedly would not follow instructions to show his hands and was hiding them behind his waist.

He was tased by troopers upon attempting to make a run for it. After being tased, Crouse became compliant and announced to troopers that he had defecated himself.

A short time later, he was arrested and taken to Wildwood Pretrial. During the transport, he allegedly smeared feces in the back of the patrol car, rendering it inoperable.

He was charged with resisting arrest, criminal mischief, assault, and other criminal charges. He was held without bail.

• onediadem likes this

#2010 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,492 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 October 2020 - 12:54 PM

I know a guy who got tased and the cop said something along the lines of "I'm surprised you didn't shit your pants like most people do." To which my acquaintance helpfully replied that he'd just dropped a deuce a few minutes before their electric encounter so was running on empty, basically. I hadn't heard that before, and wonder how common it actually is.

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#2011 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 8,911 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2020 - 12:39 AM

First murder hornets, now hairy, venomous caterpillars!!!  

I know what your thinking, and yes it's true, I am high, but this is still real, and not my imagination this time :)

Meet the puss caterpillar...

[Direct Link]

• SteampunkScientist likes this

#2012 SteampunkScientist

SteampunkScientist

Distinguished Mad Scientist

• OG VIP
  • 4,099 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2020 - 06:48 AM

Yep, I got one of these on my arm while I indeed lived in Virginia, about 18 years ago.  It was on my arm and I brushed it off.  My entire arm went numb and it hurt like fuck.  I usually dont have any issue with bug bites, but I had to get a steroid shot.

These motherfuckers are pretty to look at but yeah, dont fuck with them.  However they have been in VA for many years so not a 2020 thing tbh.

• Juthro likes this

#2013 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,492 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2020 - 08:15 AM

The caterpillar seen at 0:21 looks uncannily like the hair of an extremely toxic human that you also don't want to brush up against.

• Skywatcher, Juthro, SteampunkScientist and 1 other like this

#2014 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,503 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2020 - 08:23 AM

I thought the same of the one at 1:01.....................

" Venomous " was the word that hit me...

• Juthro and OldBear like this

#2015 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,487 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2020 - 08:11 PM

Sucking or smoking? Lol

FB_IMG_1600311856137.jpg

#2016 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 8,911 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2020 - 08:16 PM

Sucking or smoking? Lol

Either way they still seem to be blowing smoke.

Edited by Juthro, 14 October 2020 - 08:17 PM.

#2017 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,805 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2020 - 06:09 PM

I can't tell because of the awesome camouflage

or

Crack version of the lord of the rings, when Froto uses the magic cape to cloak him and Sam from detection

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 15 October 2020 - 06:10 PM.

• Mrs.Hippie3 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!