#1 phoenix2

phoenix2

Grassroots fiend

• Expired Member
  • 513 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:15 PM

Source : http://hydroponics.c...wtopic.php?t=86

Seemed like a cool read

WILSON LENNARD outlines his research to develop a successful recirculating aquaponic system to produce Murray Cod and lettuce, with significant savings in water use and zero environmental impacts.

I came to the world of aquaponics from the otherside , that is, the aquaculture side. Freshwater aquaculture is moving into a new phase and a lot of people are now turning towards using large, environmentally controlled indoor recirculation systems to grow fish. These systems are a self-contained unit, usually located in an insulated shed. These are high intensity systems, with tons of fish being produced annually on very small land areas. The advantage of recirculating fish farming is that water is recycled through the system, and is therefore used to its full advantage.

The downfall of any aquaculture operation is that fish produce waste, and this waste needs to be disposed of in a way that won't impact on the environment. Fish waste is nutrient rich and if it is disposed directly to the environment, it can have negative consequences. This is where aquaponics and I come into it.

I was looking for a way to filter the nutrient-rich fish waste out of aquaculture systems. Solid fish waste is constantly removed from these systems and is usually composted, so it is not much of a problem. It is the water-bound fish waste that is a problem.

Around 70% of fish waste is actually water-bound, arising from the gas exchange of ammonia-type waste that the fish excrete across their gills. It is this water-bound component that I was looking to treat. So, from my point of view, I was looking for a way to remove water-bound waste from our fish culturing systems. This is required because fish farmers at present change approximately 10% of their water every day, to counteract this build-up of waste. Ten percent may not sound like much, but in a system containing 100,000 litres of water (which is not a large system), that means removing 10,000L of water a day, finding a way to dispose of it, and replacing it with 10,000L of clean, fresh water. So, as I said, I was coming at the problem from a fish culturalist perspective.

The great thing about this water-bound fish waste is that it is mainly nitrates and phosphates. As all hydroponic plant growers know, these are some of the main nutrients used for hydroponic plant culture. So the question arose, can these fish wastes be used as plant nutrients? This is where I started after obtaining a PhD scholarship through the Rural Industry Research and Development Corporation (RIRDC).

I set about designing and building an aquaponic system to integrate fish culture with hydroponic plant culture. I had to design a very small-scale system, as I needed to be able to replicate my experimental situations for scientific purposes. So I eventually ended up with 12 aquaponic units that were identical to each other.

A unit consists of a 100L fish tank with an associated biofilter. The biofilter is very important to the fish's health, as it converts harmful ammonia released by the fish into harmless nitrate. Above the fish tank is a shelf containing a hydroponic gravel bed. Water can be pumped from the fish tank, up to the hydroponic gravel bed, and then returns to the fish tank. That's it. It's pretty basic, but it really works.

AQUAPONICS THEORY
The theory behind aquaponics is this:the fish live in a tank, eat fish food, and produce two types of waste; solid waste (fish poo) and water-bound waste. As I said earlier, solid waste is routinely removed and generally composted. The water-bound fish waste is actually the same nitrate and phosphate hydroponic farmers add to their systems using inorganic salts that they purchase.

Posted Image

What was fish waste, is now plant nutrient. The water from the fish tank is pumped to a hydroponic plant culturing component and the nitrate and phosphate from the fish is used to feed the plants. The water, now 'cleaned' of nutrients, is then returned to the fish tank and the whole cycle begins again.

If the amount of waste the fish produce can be balanced with the amount of nutrient the plants require, then we should have a system where we can perpetually grow fish and plants in the same water, with no water replacement required, other than that used to replace transpiration from the plants.

Posted Image

So I set about running a number of experiments to develop the idea within an Australian context. Some of the questions that arose were:

- does this aquaponics thing really work?
- can Australian fish species be used?
- what pumping rates are required?
- what hydroponic systems can be used (gravel bed, floating raft, NFT etc.)?
- are there any nutrient deficiencies in the plants?
- is the system productive in a commercial sense?

The question of does the aquaponic process actually work was answered with my first experiment. One kilogram of fish was placed in the tanks and 20 lettuce seedlings planted. The fish were fed, the system monitored and the fingers crossed. It is an amazing thing to inspect an aquaponic system daily and watch both the fish and plants grow and thrive. After three weeks in the aquaponic system, I had harvest size lettuce (around 120g, Green Oak fancy heads), fish that had grown, and water with 80% less nutrient in it than the fish-only controls.

This was definitely a good way to start for a PhD student -success! The fish were healthy and had grown at a rate the same as the industry standard, with no side effects. In fact, they actually seemed to like their new, cleaner environment. The lettuce plants were full of head and a beautiful, rich green, with no signs of nutrient deficiency.

At this point I was wondering, is there really three years of research in this? What followed was two and a half years of further experiments and trials to try and optimise the system for better plant growth and better nutrient stripping from the system.

WHERE ARE WE AT THEN?
Well, we now have a system that is fully optimised and is ready for commercial trials. Some of the variables that you may be interested in include:gravel beds work better on a constant flow water delivery regime.

Posted Image

Past hydroponic research has suggested that a 'reciprocal flow' (water is pumped to the gravel bed now and then, instead of a constant flow) was better as it aided water oxygen levels and distributed nutrient to plants better. This may be true in standard hydroponics, but we always require oxygen above 5mg/L for our fish, so oxygen is always above what the plant roots require (around 2mg/L for lettuce).

Our constant flow gravel bed system grows lettuce about 20% better than a reciprocal flow. Gravel beds and floating rafts are about 15-20% more efficient than NFT. My experiments have proven, within an aquaponic context, that NFT is less efficient at plant growth and nutrient stripping.

The last key finding is that we need to use a potassium and calcium-based buffer system. Fish farmers use sodium bicarbonate and similar basic salts to make sure the pH doesn't drop. Fish systems are the opposite to hydroponic systems - as fish eat and metabolise feed, the water pH drops.

To counteract this pH drop, we use buffers to keep the pH up around 7. If we use potassium and calcium-based buffers, we can add the potassium and calcium to the system that the plants require for good growth.

KEY RESEARCH FINDINGS
So I had better tell you of the key findings. Fish (we used Murray Cod) and plants (we used lettuce) can be grown in an integrated aquaponic system. If the correct balance is met between plants and fish, no nutrient build-up occurs in the system, and the plants get all the nutrients they need.

We don't get conductivity build-up or drop-off;it stays constantly at about 500mS/cm. This is because the fish renew the nutrients every time they are fed, which can be as high as 3-4 times per day, and the plants constantly use those nutrients.

A combination of potassium and calcium is used to buffer pH and provide the other essential plant nutrients. We also add a little chelated iron, as fish food is lacking in iron and the plants require it to produce chlorophyll. That is all we add to the system - fish food, a little buffer each day, and a little iron once a week. All the micronutrients required for the plants are in the fish food, so we don't need to add any of these.

Posted Image

WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF AQUAPONICS?
There are several advantages; some relate to the fish and some the plants. Because we can balance the nutrient output of the fish with the nutrient uptake of the plants, we never need to exchange water. We do need to replace any water lost through plant transpiration, but this is a small amount. We are now saving above 90% of the water a normal recirculating fish farm would use. So, the system is very water friendly. We have no nutrient-rich waste output, we use our nutrients to feed the plants, and we have zero environmental impact.

Our fish grow just as well as they do in any other fish system. The best outcome is that we grow healthy, strong plants that yield at the same rate as they would in standard hydroponics. That's right, our lettuce grew just as well in our aquaponic system as they did in our hydroponic controls. So, the advantages are:

- excellent fish and plant growth
- zero environmental impact
- efficient water use
- yields as good as the prospective stand-alone industries, and
- the ability to grow two cash crops (fish and plants) off the one food source.

I am now building a commercial-scale aquaponic system. We will have the ability to grow around 500kg of fish a year and harvest 3,000 lettuce per week. We will have no environmental impact and will use less than 10% of the water a normal recirculating fish farm would use. The only other question is whether we can obtain 'Organic' certification? If we can achieve this, we believe we are on a definite winner. But more about that in a coming issue.

About the Author
Wilson Lennard is in the final stages of his research into aquaponics at RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia. He believes aquaponics is a new and emerging industry that will fill a defined niche in the aquaculture/hydroponics market.
Ph:(03) 9486-3995
Email: [email protected]

• PsyBearknot, riseabovethought and Heirloom like this

#2 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,810 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:54 PM

Check this one out phoenix-

https://mycotopia.ne...ggies-and-fish/

Edited by kcmoxtractor, 09 September 2015 - 03:42 PM.

• riseabovethought and sillyrabbitcubiesR4us like this

#3 khat

khat

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:59 AM

i think i recall there being tons of cool growlogs on overgrow back in the day . Wish those were still around to browse through .

#4 iamsmiley

iamsmiley

the ice woman

• Expired Member
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:57 AM

i tried this a few years back but i think i added the fish and there was a little fertilizer in the water and it killed my fish....well dah! my neighbour works at a school for under privilaged youth and she says they do this and has invited me to see,guess i should get my ass down there to check it out,it seems like a really good organic way although my hubbies fish tank sure does invite fungus gnats and i just finally got rid of them a couple months ago after he overflowed the fish tank into my grow.i like the advice about iron and calcium,i've been seriously thinking about this!

#5 chrisbossjake

chrisbossjake

Dr. Bluishgreen thumb

• Expired Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

This is my first Aquaponics setup. Ive played with hydroponics for a couple MJ grows and I no longer need to do that. So, I decided to see how difficult aquaponics is (not at all hard, easier than hydro IMO). I decided to grow plants that are more legal this time though. 3 varities of tomato, strawberries, lettuce and cherry peppers. I know I have too much in that space but this is just a first experiment to see what does best for me and the setup.

.20121031_214831.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 20121031_214854.jpg
  • 20121031_214858.jpg
  • 20121031_215044.jpg
  • 20121031_215105.jpg
  • 20121031_215025.jpg
  • 20121031_214915.jpg

• MrGumball, wildedibles and caitojones like this

#6 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,390 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

:) I love Aquaponics :) Growing food indoors is great when you get the hag of it
Im interested in learning more how long have you had it going for looks like the plants are already adjusted ?

#7 chrisbossjake

chrisbossjake

Dr. Bluishgreen thumb

• Expired Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

The only problem I have had with aquaponics is the PH gets too high so there are a few micro nutes that get locked out. I think I mostly have an Iron deficiency showing in my strawberies. Maybe Ill try to add some rusty nails and see if I can get a little to absorb. I did lower the PH for a day or two and the deficiency started to go away but then the PH went back up. I am stabalizing at a PH of around 8.0. When I lowered the PH I used vinegar which in turn made my reservoir coudy. I dont know if it was from the PH lowering or from the vinegar.

Any ideas of a good organic/natural PH buffer or PH down.
  • wildedibles likes this

#8 chrisbossjake

chrisbossjake

Dr. Bluishgreen thumb

• Expired Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

I started this back in the begining of august. I started everything except the strawberries from seed. So as they grew they acclimated. Those pictures were taken about 2 weeks ago so there has been quite a bit more growth since. I will take a few pics today if I get a chance.

The thing that makes aquaponics so simple, all I need to do is feed my fish (28 goldfish and 2 catfish), that is it, done, finished. Sooooo simple.

#9 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,390 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

The vitamin deficiency's is where i ran into problems too but all worked well somethings from seed some cuttings most grew well
but a few things didnt grow so well like some cactus other cactus worked well
If there is an iron deficiency I keep thinking there is food that has lots of iron being plants or meat ......I guess feeding the fish these still would have a bit of time to get to the plants
( I have started fermenting weeds for liquid nutrients even as a tea would work Lambs quarters, and stinging nettle are full of iron some weeds are harmful to fish but some might be good it might be good to look into for Aquaponics too not just soil potted plants :)
ph up and down you can get from a pet supply store but vinegar is not harmful to fishy's either

#10 chrisbossjake

chrisbossjake

Dr. Bluishgreen thumb

• Expired Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

He are are the pics I promised. there are a couple small tomatoes that have started but I didnt get any pics of those. The one thing I cannot wait for is some strawberries, yum yum, they are my fav! I wonder if I will need to change the light cycle to get them to fruit.

20121111_173355.jpg
20121111_173320.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 20121111_173844.jpg
  • 20121111_173829.jpg
  • 20121111_173758.jpg
  • 20121111_173646.jpg
  • 20121111_173455.jpg

#11 LilBear

LilBear

Producer

• Expired Member
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

would there be a way to incorporate mushrooms?

I've been imagining this closed-loop food production system for awhile now,
where the fish feed the plants, the water gets filtered then drains to a large LC, which oxygenates and mixes,
and then flows into the fish tank, feeding the fish some tasty mycelium!

no need to get fish food!

although I have absolutely no experience with this haha.

would there be some form of mushrooms that would help with the ph problem?

just some idears haha:D

#12 chrisbossjake

chrisbossjake

Dr. Bluishgreen thumb

• Expired Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

I use rockwool to start my seeds and I was wondering if that would work well as a starting medium for myc to get a foothold into so it does not wash away. The main issue I see is the myc might drown depending on how it is fed water. I dont like the idea of sacrificing my poor myc for fish food. maybe once the myc dies that would be fine but not until it has produced me some nice mushies.

I also wonder if I were to put a cake in the middle of the "flower pot" if there would be enough microenvironment to sustain fruiting and when the flower pot floods, it would give the cake a dose of nutrient rich water. I have some cakes that will having a birthday in about 2 days so maybe Ill give it a try.
  • Erkee likes this

#13 LilBear

LilBear

Producer

• Expired Member
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

it'll probably contam,
but why not, for science!
and funsies haha

I imagine that, given a sterile environment, and the right moisture content, nearly anything could be colonized by mushrooms haha.

I was thinking more along the lines of a second reservoir, which feeds into the fish tank.

the water feeding into this second reservoir, would be filtered a few times, a couple different ways, and then splash down into this reservoir, oxygenating this supah-sized liquid culture. this would then over flow into the fish tank, feeding the fishies.

you could drill a small silicone injection port near the bottom of this reservoir, so that at anytime you wanted to, you could simply extract a sample, inoculation, and grow!

#14 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,333 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

[Direct Link]

I like this guys attitude and works ...

#15 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 7,390 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

I think it would be possible for mushrooms to grow in a Aquaponics system but it has to be cleaned some how special filters ... When I tried it con tamed but I am a newbie at mushrooms and Aquaponics so with a little more thought I think it could work :)

#16 fishy1

fishy1

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 238 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

cool thread. I was just thinking about it myself. My daughter would love it.
Your plants look healthy..nail the ph down and keep em happy.

good job. :)

#17 dead head jed

dead head jed

Lost Hill Billy

• 1,594 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:14 AM

i wonder if the ph being so high is from having too many fish or not enough plants
its likely that not all the ammonia is getting used up and causing your high ph
it might be worth it to try to change out half of the water

#18 chrisbossjake

chrisbossjake

Dr. Bluishgreen thumb

• Expired Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:49 AM

Ammonia = ~0ppm, Nitrite = ~0 ppm, Nitrate = ~20-40ppm last time I checked, but it has been a while and I checked PH at that time too and that is when I decided to add some vinegar to try to lower PH.

IIRC goldfish tend to like a little higher PH and Aquaponic systems usually have a higher PH. However, this does not do any good for micro nutrient uptake. Kind of a damned if you do damned if you dont. As long as the plants appear mostly healthy and are still growing I will leave them alone.

#19 dead head jed

dead head jed

Lost Hill Billy

• 1,594 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:31 AM

might want to check them again
gold fish are prolific waste producers
my old roomate decided to get a few koi
and 4 4-3in koi turned a 60 gal aquarium green in less then 3 months
http://saltaquarium....tereduction.htm

#20 caitojones

caitojones

The Space Pope

• Expired Member
  • 479 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

Growing mushrooms shouldn't be too tricky, but it may not work with the type of setup you have. I've had great success burying cakes in completely moldy and nonsterile potted plants. It looks like you're running completely soilless aquaponics, so I don't know how you could accomplish this feat, but if you can find a way to bury the cake, I'm fairly certain it will do it's thing. The humidity should work wonders on speed of growth too.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!