• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 Lodi

Lodi

Pick door #3

• Expired Member
  • 357 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:37 AM

Hey I have a TON of experience with aquaponics, I have 4 in my house alone. One thing I have learned, unless you got a thousand gallon tank and tons of dirty dirty fish then you will never stop having problems with your P and K. If it is a small indoor set up, your best just sticking with herbs and greens, nothing that flowers. You just simply cant get enough P and K in your tanks to really cause a decent fruiting. Plus most friuting plants need alot more that fluorescent to fruit properly. If you supply plants that can ACTUALLY use what the fish are producing than the plants will keep the water much cleaner.

#22 chrisbossjake

chrisbossjake

Dr. Bluishgreen thumb

• Expired Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:56 AM

My setup turned green at about 3 months also. I went and picked my algae eater and plecostomus and they have got it under control very well. Also, I recently was donated a 14" pleco so he is munching on the algae also. He is way too big for my setup as of now but I am thinking of going with a 275 gal IBC so that should give him a big enough home. If I dont, I will be finding him a new home before too long, I dont like to keep such a big fish crammed in such a little container.

#23 chrisbossjake

chrisbossjake

Dr. Bluishgreen thumb

• Expired Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:02 AM

I have been contemplating running my 400 watt HPS bulb/ballast to get everything to finish off but I am not sure the reward is any where near the cost of running such a big lamp. I have some MH bulbs and ballasts but I didnt want to run those due to power consumption so I figured if fluoros work for MJ vegatative growth they should do good enough for some lettuce, tomatos and strawberries. I am going to get my greenhouse finished before spring so I wont have to worry about the power bill going up but I wont be able to run year-round given my location and I dont want to have to heat my greenhouse due to cost again.

#24 dead head jed

dead head jed

Lost Hill Billy

• 1,594 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

not trying to ask where you are chris... but unless you are FAR north you could run year round with the right fish and crops
i've seen frozen lettuce in a few aquaponics set ups that seemed to be doing alright, and fish like trout and some cat fish can easly take the cold water
if space allows you might also look into a cheap way to heat it on the coldest days
the trick to this would be a heater that holds the heat and slowly releases it to keep things bearable on the coldest nights
something like solar water heating with a nice big reservoir to hold the warm water, or a small rocket mass heater that you can get warm in the evening and let the heat discriminate through the night

#25 chrisbossjake

chrisbossjake

Dr. Bluishgreen thumb

• Expired Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

I have a co-worker that also dabbles in aquaponics and he is soon going to do a winter grow using a wood burning (maybe pellets) stove that is supposed to burn quite slowly but produce enough heat to keep a small greenhouse warm. If that turns out to be efficient enough I might give it a try. I also have thought about giving natural gas a try since it can produce plenty of heat along with plenty of CO2, but the PITA thing is I will have to plumb the nat gas to the greenhouse. I still have a digital CO2 controller (carrier brand off of ebay ~$55.00, awsome deal) from when I was growing MJ so I will be able to control the concentration of CO2 and im sure I could wire in a thermostat to keep temps high/low enough.

#26 Phungivore

Phungivore

ɹǝuoɟ ƃuıʞɔnʇs

• OG VIP
  • 652 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:42 PM

food for thought if you ph is running high, that is bad, it makes for more free ammonia, which is one of the worst forms for your fishes health.
you prolly have some hard water, you get the crusty white on your shower heads and such ?

what about feeding you fish squash and such thing higher in p and k ?
i make my own tropical fish food using gelitain,shrimp,worms,grubs what ever protien source you have , some veggies like carrots, spinach,broccoli,peas,paprika,garlic all tossed in blender with just barely nuff water for blender to shred everything to plup, then take put cup of water on stove bring to boil mix in agar or gelitan , mix together well then freeze in gallon zip lock bags layed out thin 1/4 or so, freeze that, then when ready feed fitsh break off chunk of the food and drop in tank. being you got koi you might wanna focus lil less on protein.

also if temps get really cold you are best not feeding you fish till it warms as there digestive sytem slows down greatly at loser temps, to point they can have food rot in gut.
  • wildedibles likes this

#27 dead head jed

dead head jed

Lost Hill Billy

• 1,594 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:16 AM

check out
rocket mass heaters
supposedly very efficient, burning smaller sticks and twigs, and most of the heat gets stored in the bulk of it (bricks, sand, or what ever heavy stuff you build it out of) and this allows the heat to dissipate over a longer time for a nice slow steady heat

[Direct Link]

Edited by dead head jed, 25 November 2012 - 03:32 AM.

#28 chrisbossjake

chrisbossjake

Dr. Bluishgreen thumb

• Expired Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

check out
rocket mass heaters
supposedly very efficient, burning smaller sticks and twigs, and most of the heat gets stored in the bulk of it (bricks, sand, or what ever heavy stuff you build it out of) and this allows the heat to dissipate over a longer time for a nice slow steady heat

[Direct Link]

Im pretty sure that is what my buddy is making actually. I hadnt asked many questions since he hasnt made his yet. Ill wait to see how he makes his and modify it to my likings and to fit my setup. :D

Edited by chrisbossjake, 28 November 2012 - 11:44 PM.

#29 chrisbossjake

chrisbossjake

Dr. Bluishgreen thumb

• Expired Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

Ive got a little update, my largest/oldest tomato has began to ripen/reden finally. I havent changed anything at all, just been adding water and feeding my fish.

#30 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 6,945 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

Cool
I started all my tomatoes in my Aquaponic set up b4 taking them outdoors to grow for the summer they were all early compared to other peoples tomatoes :)
I cant wait until I get my veggies started this year
I do not have a growing area set up in the fish tank yet
I should have had it going for the summer my fish
were eating mosquito larva all summer didnt buy fish food
friend put her gold fish in the rain collecting buckets
I am on the hunt for 25 cent goldfish this summer ;)
my neighbors will love me for it :)
I guess that be really good for the veggies being fed
this rain water supplemented with fish poop :)

#31 blueprince

blueprince

b ן u ǝ p ɹ ı n ɔ ǝ

• Expired Member
  • 222 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

Nice thread, got a seat pulled up. I have a strong interest in this but no real practical experience beyond the noob. From my reading only tho, it would appear Australian Redclaws are dirty, filthy creatures well suited for pooping nutrients. Of course, they work on the horizontal plane but a few of them in the bottom of a tank with a screen a few inches above them - so they and the fishys play nice - could give u a solid nutrient boost. You can use sinking catfish feed and rig a pvc pipe going from above the water line and opening up below the mesh to ensure their food goes where its supposed to.

BTC0.02, pls refrain from flaming, just quoting stuff i've read.

#32 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 3,429 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

I'm gathering 55 gallon food grade barrels for the fish and plants, I'm also gathering steel for the rocket mass heaters. I have some solar panels and deep cycle batteries. I'm pumped! This is a definite solution in my case, for heating the house, for heating water, for growing fish and plants and will also allow me to put in a small greenhouse too............oh sweet FREEDOM is coming man! A revolution.....without a shot fired! Sustainable living in comfort............coming up! Very cool thread!
I should start a thread and document the transformation.............. :teeth:

#33 chrisbossjake

chrisbossjake

Dr. Bluishgreen thumb

• Expired Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

However, I forgot to mention my strawberries plants never threw flowers and were beginning to yellow/whiten between the veins pretty badly so I dontated them to a couple friends that would love to go off grid. They were transplanted to potted soil indoors under fluoros and or in a window. Last I heard they are really greening up and liking their new homes =)

4 days ago I also gave the mother in-law 5 of my lettuce plants (rootball and all) since she has been begging me since day one for fresh veggies and I really needed to do some major lettuce thinning.

I havent done a partial water change for a couple months but im sure I will have to very soon due to the reduction of rootmass. Actually I think Ill go do that now and snap a few pics while im at it. =) Happy gardening.

#34 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 6,945 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

Cant wait to see the pictures :)
A friend just gave me a 10 gallon fish tank with some air pumps tubing and some glass stones :)
I have been collecting fish tank supplies stocking up till I try growing again
I also found another indoor water fall pump :)

#35 chrisbossjake

chrisbossjake

Dr. Bluishgreen thumb

• Expired Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

The least expensive place I have found to get submersible water pumps is at Harbor Freight which happens to be my most favorite store. I think I paid $15 for my 264 gph pump from there.

#36 chrisbossjake

chrisbossjake

Dr. Bluishgreen thumb

• Expired Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

Pics as promised.20121231_163550.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 20121231_162844.jpg
  • 20121231_162853.jpg
  • 20121231_162910.jpg
  • 20121231_162920.jpg
  • 20121231_162925.jpg
  • 20121231_162934.jpg
  • 20121231_163544.jpg

• kcmoxtractor likes this

#37 monkeybones

monkeybones

pothead

• Expired Member
  • 549 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:12 AM

aquaponics is my favourite for growing my cannabis flowers.. I feed my plants with the diluted byproduct of a variety of species. freshwater cichlids eat a tonne of food, they are good. same with catfish

if you keep invertebrates in your setups keep an eye on the calcium levels, among other minerals absorbed by invertebrates from the water. I have had massive calcium deficiency afflict my plants in the past. a pinch of sea salt does it for the calcium and iodine
  • wildedibles likes this

#38 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 6,945 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:45 AM

The least expensive place I have found to get submersible water pumps is at Harbor Freight which happens to be my most favorite store. I think I paid $15 for my 264 gph pump from there.

I do not think the water fall pumps you know the desk top things that were popular for a little bit till people realized they are more of a hassle than what they wanted
I do not think they have a high gph ? but I find these for free now cause every one is throwing them away I just take the pump out
actually the one I gave to my mom she gave me the pump back and put the shell water fall thingy in her garden and planted something in it just used it as a pot lol
The water fall thing I found this time is a bigger floor model one so I am hoping that pump has more water flow potential
see its hard to get them to pump water high enough
I want to grow up the wall / window so taking the water all the way up for it to drip down has been hard with these little pumps hoe the big one works better :)

Very nice plants I canoot rep you again yet ;)
thoes veggies look sooo yummy :)
great job :)

#39 chrisbossjake

chrisbossjake

Dr. Bluishgreen thumb

• Expired Member
  • 142 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

IIRC, the head height for the pump I use is 7 ft. I cannot find it in the online store but it is always stocked locally.

Thanks a bunch for the likes on my veggies. =)

#40 wildedibles

wildedibles

Naturalist

• OG VIP
  • 6,945 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:34 AM

Your welcome they look yummy

I like finding things and reusing what I have I do not have a big budget ... ok I do not have a budget for this at all lol but I like reusing things and trying different ways to make things work
... but that said if I want to go that high and trickle down I think I need a bigger pump :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!