67 replies to this topic

#61 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,852 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:08 PM

Combining urban gardening with fish -farming is one next logical step towards even more efficiency.  One company helping people do this is The Aquaponic Source.  Theaquaponicsource.com helps the urban gardener combine these 2 quite- mutually symbiotic systems in a well- constructed dual -use ecosystem.  It does require more space than the window farm, but a small room or small green house could do well for the urban gardener whose willing to go the extra mile.

[Direct Link]

• PsyBearknot and Heirloom like this

#62 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 4,145 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:24 PM

YES YES YES! Thank you for putting that here.

I have a lot of reading to do
  • Heirloom likes this

#63 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,993 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2016 - 12:23 PM

A ready to go system is much easier but the cost seems prohibitive.

I think a person could build their own system for a lot less. I have a homade flood bed that 2.5' x 3' x 12" - 7.5 square feet.
A plant bed can be made using 2"x12" wood lined with plastic a large water container and a pump, lava rock can be used
to plant in. Maybe use a drip system to water the plants and gravity to return to the fish tank , the return water can also oxygenate the fish tank.

In my area a 250 gallon water tank cost $75 in my area. I found fingerling fish in my are at a good price and they can be used to breed your fish for the next generation. I love catfish and they can take temps up to 90F. only problem is what plant to grow. A worm farm can help serve as a food source.

I love this topic and look forward to other ideas.

#64 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• OG VIP
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:10 PM

im growing 25 tilapia in a 55gallon drum with a 10% water change daily.

Using a 500gph water pump to mix and aerate the water(pump on bottom with hose to

spray water out on the surface so that high DO2 can be achieved)

drum is wrapped in bubble wrap for insulation about ... 3-4 inches thick.

and using a 300watter heater, that barely runs. 

They are currently FULL SIZED and need to be harvested.

Ill snap some pics soon of them and share with everyone. 

I cant be to detailed though.  

But you can do almost anything you want as long as you just keep on it.

Anything is possible and can be done for PENNIES.  

The main thing you need to do is keep temps steady and have SHIT TON of DO2.

Current fish count I got is 2000.

1500 roughly 3-5 inches long now all waiting to be put into a large grow out tank,

they are all just in 55gal glass tanks, got 8 tanks.

and the last 500 of them are probably 2-3 inches

(the 2000 additional fish came from an initial investment of $100 buying roughly 80 tilapia fingerlings,

they mated and had babies, I'm purchasing another set of tilapia to use an additional genetic line for

cleaner breeding, but 1 female will produce easily 500 babies. Since at the end of last year

i grew to 2000 fish, its only natural for my next goal of fish to start being in the 10s of thousands,

remember, 1x 10,000 gallon tank with a proper aquaponic setup can hold around 5000-6000 mature tilapia)

They are easy as shit.

The moment you think up a plan is the moment you become instantly successful because 

you then have a LITE PATH rather then walking in the dark. 

all you gotta do to have success, is START.

TIP with aquaponics.

ITS ALL ABOUT THE SURFACE AREA...

ACHIEVE HIGHEST SURFACE AREA POSSIBLE = MORE FISH CAPACITY.

Only pick I got on hand right now is a pick of one of my fry harvests.

Maybe like 500 fishies right here. 

They are maybe... half inch long, 4-6mm

P8140018.JPG

this is how id harvest them lol

Just think, in 1 week each of those babies = 50 cents, my cost PER BABY.. MAYBE 1/10th of a penny lol

No bank gives you that kinda return, nor will they ever. 

IMAG1996.jpg

Edited by Il19z8rn4li1, 20 March 2016 - 01:31 PM.

• Heirloom likes this

#65 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• OG VIP
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:33 PM

these shows and what not have been getting me lately..

Its like.. I understand people wanna get teh message out there.. but imo... all the time they spend traveling could

be much better spent on actually EXPANDING what they are preaching / talking about.

Just saying.. lol

Doing, usually is a bit more effective then, saying...

not trying to dog this video specifically, but the genre of these videos as a whole lol

i know some of you get my drift.

Edited by Il19z8rn4li1, 20 March 2016 - 01:34 PM.

#66 Il19z8rn4li1

Il19z8rn4li1

Green Thumb Blue Thumb

• OG VIP
  • 3,659 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:40 PM

A ready to go system is much easier but the cost seems prohibitive.

I think a person could build their own system for a lot less. I have a homade flood bed that 2.5' x 3' x 12" - 7.5 square feet.
A plant bed can be made using 2"x12" wood lined with plastic a large water container and a pump, lava rock can be used
to plant in. Maybe use a drip system to water the plants and gravity to return to the fish tank , the return water can also oxygenate the fish tank.

In my area a 250 gallon water tank cost $75 in my area. I found fingerling fish in my are at a good price and they can be used to breed your fish for the next generation. I love catfish and they can take temps up to 90F. only problem is what plant to grow. A worm farm can help serve as a food source.

I love this topic and look forward to other ideas.

if anyone is planning on making ANYTHING out of wood... best be sure you use EDPM RUBBER LINING.

DONT USE PLASTIC or PVC liners... junk and just PITA to work with, best spend the money on the good stuff because its a lot easier

to REUSE if you need to.

I built a 1500gallon fish tank last season and its made out of 4x4s and 2x12s, treated lumber, buried in the ground about 70-80%. 

Lined with a 20mil EDPM RUBBER LINER made by firestone. 

I tried to save some funds and get the HALF PRICE plastic liner, and well.. yea.. ended up wasting $500 and about 2 weeks of my time(waitign on shipping)

only because I was trying to save $250 .. NOT WORTH IT. SPEND THE FUNDS, you wont regret it. 

long story short.

Buy PREMADE molded containers for whatever your doing.

For the Ebb n Flo grow beds, get pre made plastic molded containers that suit your area and needs.

They are easily reusable and can then also be multipurpose.

I find a lot of DIY projects and items tend to stay on the SINGLE PURPOSE path, but imo/e its best to have things that can 

have multiple uses if you need it to. 

plumbing in aquaponics.

Whatever size you think you need, add at least a half inch to a full inch.

I never use anything smaller then 3/4inch INSIDE diameter.

also, bell siphons can be a PITA...

youtube,

ABOVE BED SIPHON and make that... :)

Good Luck.  

The time to start aquaponics is last year..

• PsyBearknot and Heirloom like this

#67 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,993 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:59 PM

ll19z8rn4li1, thanks for you advise. I considered a plastic barrel. I understand better to go with quality then go cheap and waste time & money only to need to fix the problem. I know the rubber sheeting you are talking about, yea a plastic liner will develop hole fast, thanks for mentioning that. I have a pond kit I might be able to use.

I am going to take your advise and learn from you. Sounds like you got more fish than you can eat.

• PsyBearknot likes this

#68 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,993 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:05 PM

Don't let your catfish grow to big or they are dangerous.

Attached Thumbnails

• BlueCatfish.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!