• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 05:36 PM

slugs are the WORST. talk about crop devastation.

#22 microscopyuseonly

microscopyuseonly

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:36 AM

Went back today and every bug and slug in the area is gone. I hated to kill the little critters but I just couldn't stand back while my greatest fungi growing experience was quickly decimated. And I've read about beer but didn't think that baiting them would do much other than attract more to then feed on my fruits. That and there were insects of various species taking up residence in my patch who I can't imagine like beer. I wish there were a repellant that would remove instead of kill ' em. Oh Well.....

#23 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:39 AM

solution to this problem is simple
diatomaceous earth (DE) available at any garden center will solve yer problem.
sit the trays on a bed of DE and yer problem is solved. ORGANICALLY.
more tips:
wrap bare copper (stripped electrical cable works) around the tubs.
when a slug touches the copper they get a shock. like an electric fence for slugs
works great wrapped around the base of plant stalks to keep em off the goods too
make sure there are no obstacles or sticks/foliage hanging over the tubs,
or slugs, snails, heck even rats can use these things as birdges to get to yer fruits
also, the tubs should have drainage holes. rain and rubbermaids with no lids dont mix
..that or make a shelter/drip shield over the tops with wood or a tarp or some such
be well

#24 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:42 AM

I wish there were a repellant that would remove instead of kill ' em. Oh Well.....

yeah, cut 6" strips of copper wire and lay em about the casing layer.
anything that does happen to 'fall-in' wont be able to eat yer stuph if theyre stunned
just remember to check for confused, paralized, and regretful slugs each morning :lol:

#25 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:26 AM

Cut the bottom off a beercan and set it out near your patch with a little beer in it, the slugs will climb in, party a bit and then drown.
This works realy good, they enjoy a good beer more the mushrooms.
Every couple days, or after a rain you'll have to dump out the dead slugs and refill with beer.

#26 microscopyuseonly

microscopyuseonly

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:51 AM

also, the tubs should have drainage holes. rain and rubbermaids with no lids dont mix

I guess I should have specified that I used the substrate that had already flushed twice in the tubs as spawn to start the outside bed which consists of a 6 inch deep hole about 6x6 foot wide filled with a multi-layer sub. of straw, poo, spawn, cased with verm and watered semi-daily with used coffee ground water.

I noticed today though that some (not all) of the little mushies are only getting 2 or 3 inches high before the cap flattens out and the veil breaks and this strain is known to be tall in poo. Could this be because the sub. hasn't fully colonized and as the mycelial network develops further they will have more nutrients to grow larger or is it because the low humidity (45% or so) is causing them to mature early in which case I might be able to put plastic around the bed and mist regularly? Thanks for the advice guys....:teeth:

#27 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 10 June 2006 - 05:58 AM

Cut the bottom off a beercan and set it out near your patch with a little beer in it, the slugs will climb in, party a bit and then drown.
This works realy good, they enjoy a good beer more the mushrooms.
Every couple days, or after a rain you'll have to dump out the dead slugs and refill with beer.

lol thats so much better of an idea than my last post :eusa_doh:
give em a choice. make em choose between the red pill or blue pill :p
still make sure theres no bridges for them to get in tho:eusa_naug
and rodents are the reason we cant grow in the yard here :(
the rats actually enjoy a good pint of ale. waste of beer if you ask me. :eusa_snoo
all kidding aside,
D. earth is yer best friend.
ive even used it with success doin guerilla style beds in the woods,
and works for all insects :) especially the tuffies-ie: rollie pollies, slugs & snails
be well

#28 SIMBIOSIS

SIMBIOSIS

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 06:11 AM

Once i letted a horse poo tube outside that i thought was done.When i loked inside few days latter there was 3muscrooms grown.they was also not very big but realy fat and open.They were standing outside in the sun covered.

#29 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 07:49 AM

I noticed today though that some (not all) of the little mushies are only getting 2 or 3 inches high before the cap flattens out and the veil breaks and this strain is known to be tall in poo. Could this be because the sub. hasn't fully colonized and as the mycelial network develops further they will have more nutrients to grow larger or is it because the low humidity (45% or so) is causing them to mature early in which case I might be able to put plastic around the bed and mist regularly?

pretty difficult to judge with any certainty
but if i had to guess
i'd say they are running short of water

#30 alpiner

alpiner

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 429 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 03:02 PM

pretty difficult to judge with any certainty
but if i had to guess
i'd say they are running short of water

also to add to that when outdoors mushrooms tend to have shorter stems and bigger caps

#31 microscopyuseonly

microscopyuseonly

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 01:24 AM

Thanx for the tip Hip. I'll water more and see if that helps. I've just been keeping the surface nice and moist but probly havn't been watering in the quantity it would take to soak the sub. fully. I kinda figured that I wouldn't have to until the mushrooms sucked out the moisture that I added when making the bed. I guess I didn't consider the fact that unlike my indoor tubs, the bottom of this container (dirt) is absorbant. Another question I have after doing a bit of reading is I can't help but think that maybe adding used coffee grounds to my water is making it too acidic. Should I add lime to the mix to regulate ph or just cut out the coffee all together? I drink coffee every morning and figured it couldn't hurt to make use of the leftovers after seeing all the uses Rodger has for it.

#32 tepin

tepin

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 03:12 AM

those bugs must be tripping balls! lol

good tips guys I can really use um for some outdoor stuff I got as well.

sorry about your lose man, that really sucks balls

#33 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 08:15 AM

cut the coffee now.
not only is it acidic
but by using it now in open air
you're practically inviting contams to grow...

btw
despite a couple years of tests and trials
rodger's 'coffee tek' is still
highly questionable in its' effectiveness.
see
http://mycotopia.net...read.php?t=8640

#34 Guest_Poo_*

Guest_Poo_*

Posted 18 November 2006 - 08:28 PM

FOAF is a newb to mycology and has run into a problem with small bugs. In a couple of small shoebox projects ( PF cake crumbled into horse poo cased with verm/coir, vented to open air by drill holes on the sides an inch above top of casing ) FOAF can't tell if they are doing any damage. The casings are fruiting. FOAF tried to use some organic mite spray ( baking soda, cider vinager, lemon, etc. ) that he has seen vaporize spider mites on previous MJ projects. (the little bastards are about the same size as spider mites) It didn't work. It doesn't seem to be a serious infestation at this point maybe ten bugs in each project. It "bugs" the hell out of him however, in fact he freaked out last week and threw out all the projects with bugs he could find. They don't seem to be eating the myc, or the fruit, but they have to be eating something, stealing energy from the myc, after much searching of the vaults he can't find much on it. FOAF is hoping that some kind of defense can be mounted and overcome these f'ers. If your going to tell us to throw it out and start over don't bother, we are trying to brainstorm solutions to save the paitent. :reb:

#35 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 09:00 PM

try some sticky pest strips and some diatomaceous earth

#36 Guest_Poo_*

Guest_Poo_*

Posted 18 November 2006 - 11:54 PM

thank you

what is this soil you speak of ?

#37 Guest_Poo_*

Guest_Poo_*

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:59 AM

gotta love google

Diatomite is also used as an insecticide, due to its physico-sorptive properties. The fine powder absorbs lipids from the cuticle, the waxy outer layer of insects' exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate. Arthropods die as a result of the water pressure deficiency, based on Fick's law of diffusion. This also works against gastropods and is commonly employed in gardening to defeat slugs. However, since slugs inhabit humid environments, efficacy is very low. Beekeepers are apparently experimenting with it, to keep small hive beetles from breeding. It is sometimes mixed with an attractant or other additives to increase its effectiveness. Medical grade diatomite is sometimes used to de-worm both animals and humans. It is most commonly used in lieu of boric acid, and can be used to help control and eventually eliminate a cockroach infestation.

#38 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 November 2006 - 01:11 PM

Nice info on the D.E.. I've seen small red and white2 stripers mites in unpastuerized poo, but not after its been cooked. Fungus gnats will also produce eggs,small white larvae in a sub. the sticky traps and Diatoms are great and chem free.:thumbup: only way to go. 1:200 bleach/water misting is also somewhat effective on eggs and pests!:thumbup:.best o luck poo. fight the good fight. you cant hide from poo bugs:laser: haha got ya!

#39 Guest_Poo_*

Guest_Poo_*

Posted 19 November 2006 - 01:23 PM

the poo is probably where the pests came from in the first place as FOAF had a large bag (pastuerized) laying around outside for a while before it was all used. These little buggers seem to like to travel so it's hard to tell where it started from. I wonder what they are eating ? FOAF is off to search for some DE & sticky traps, that is if all you other mo fos haven't bought them up to try to make clones.

#40 Guest_Poo_*

Guest_Poo_*

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:01 AM

48 hours later an at least 95% of the bugs are gone after applying liberal amounts of DE :headbang:

Thanks hippy !!:bow:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!