• Founders
  • 11,643 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:28 AM

Posted Image
July 26th, 2010
09:15 AM ET

Cheese seized! Public Health Department raids raw dairy vendor
A police raid on a members-only grocery has devotees of unpasteurized dairy up in arms. In surveillance footage posted by the Los Angeles Times, four officers, with guns drawn, snaked through the aisles of Venice, California’s Rawsome Foods in search of outlaw raw cow and goat milk – which they found and confiscated.
In addition to the club’s computers, yogurt, cartons and jugs of milk and blocks of goat cheese were among the unpasteurized edibles nabbed by federal, state and local authorities who cited the co-op’s lack of proper permits to sell food to the public, while one of its vendors, Healthy Family Farms was also raided, having not met sufficient licensing standards in its processing plant.

Rawsome, which opened its doors in 2004, had previously gotten around the laws pertaining to unpasteurized dairy and honey by requiring patrons to purchase yearly memberships wherein they lease land and livestock and pay an additional fee for the transport of each item from the farm to the store. Rawsome’s owners reason that their storefront is simply a place where members may come and pick up items that are already technically theirs. The L.A. County Public Health Department, however, ardently disputes this line of reasoning and has been pursuing Rawsome for license compliance since 2005.
The June 30 raid is just the latest in the ongoing clash between raw food crusaders and governmental regulators seeking to shield consumers from what they see as a major threat to public health. Unpasteurized dairy has been linked to recent outbreaks of potentially deadly campylobacteriosis in the Midwest an E. coli outbreak in Minnetsota and both of the ailments in Colorado after children and adults alike were sickened after consuming raw milk. Raw milk has also been tied to cases of Listeria monocytogenes, and Salmonella.
Pasteurization, a process that entails heating milk to 145F for 30 minutes or 163F degrees for 15 seconds, and ultra high temperature pasteurization, which sterilizes milk to a shelf-stable state with a one or two second stint at 285F both kill the bacteria that cause these ailments, but, activists say, at significant cost to flavor, health benefits and personal freedom.
Milk sales are highly regulated from state to state - so stringently in some areas of the country, that the acquisition of raw milk sometimes becomes a clandestine, us-against-them affair. Urban consumers band together in secretive societies to smuggle and distribute contraband dairy to like-minded lactivists who eschew governmental warnings and claim that unpasteurized dairy cures asthma, allergies, thyroid deficiencies and even cancer. Others just enjoy the creamy, full-bodied flavor and mouthfeel and still others - well, they just don’t care for the government telling them what they can and cannot put in their bodies.
Not all raw dairy dealing is so cloak and dagger. Organizations like Right To Choose Healthy Food and the Farm to Consumer Foundation as well as activists like filmmaker Max Kane have taken the battle public, raising awareness of raw milk's supposed benefits via informational websites and films, as well as public rallies and drink-ins. Dubbed the "Teat Party" by some, the champions of this less fettered dairy distribution seek to overhaul state raw milk laws, one jug at a time.

#2 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:45 AM

Posted Image
July 26th, 2010
09:15 AM ET

Cheese seized! Public Health Department raids raw dairy vendor
A police raid on a members-only grocery has devotees of unpasteurized dairy up in arms. In surveillance footage posted by the Los Angeles Times, four officers, with guns drawn, snaked through the aisles of Venice, California’s Rawsome Foods in search of outlaw raw cow and goat milk – which they found and confiscated.
In addition to the club’s computers, yogurt, cartons and jugs of milk and blocks of goat cheese were among the unpasteurized edibles nabbed by federal, state and local authorities who cited the co-op’s lack of proper permits to sell food to the public, while one of its vendors, Healthy Family Farms was also raided, having not met sufficient licensing standards in its processing plant.

Rawsome, which opened its doors in 2004, had previously gotten around the laws pertaining to unpasteurized dairy and honey by requiring patrons to purchase yearly memberships wherein they lease land and livestock and pay an additional fee for the transport of each item from the farm to the store. Rawsome’s owners reason that their storefront is simply a place where members may come and pick up items that are already technically theirs. The L.A. County Public Health Department, however, ardently disputes this line of reasoning and has been pursuing Rawsome for license compliance since 2005.
The June 30 raid is just the latest in the ongoing clash between raw food crusaders and governmental regulators seeking to shield consumers from what they see as a major threat to public health. Unpasteurized dairy has been linked to recent outbreaks of potentially deadly campylobacteriosis in the Midwest an E. coli outbreak in Minnetsota and both of the ailments in Colorado after children and adults alike were sickened after consuming raw milk. Raw milk has also been tied to cases of Listeria monocytogenes, and Salmonella.
Pasteurization, a process that entails heating milk to 145F for 30 minutes or 163F degrees for 15 seconds, and ultra high temperature pasteurization, which sterilizes milk to a shelf-stable state with a one or two second stint at 285F both kill the bacteria that cause these ailments, but, activists say, at significant cost to flavor, health benefits and personal freedom.
Milk sales are highly regulated from state to state - so stringently in some areas of the country, that the acquisition of raw milk sometimes becomes a clandestine, us-against-them affair. Urban consumers band together in secretive societies to smuggle and distribute contraband dairy to like-minded lactivists who eschew governmental warnings and claim that unpasteurized dairy cures asthma, allergies, thyroid deficiencies and even cancer. Others just enjoy the creamy, full-bodied flavor and mouthfeel and still others - well, they just don’t care for the government telling them what they can and cannot put in their bodies.
Not all raw dairy dealing is so cloak and dagger. Organizations like Right To Choose Healthy Food and the Farm to Consumer Foundation as well as activists like filmmaker Max Kane have taken the battle public, raising awareness of raw milk's supposed benefits via informational websites and films, as well as public rallies and drink-ins. Dubbed the "Teat Party" by some, the champions of this less fettered dairy distribution seek to overhaul state raw milk laws, one jug at a time.

"You are free to do as we tell you, you are free to do as we tell you" - Hicks

#3 Jordan86

Jordan86

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 630 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:04 AM

There was a small crackdown in my area several years ago where local farmers were selling unpasterurized milk. Our local news covered the story first by doing their own investigation, videotaping customers buy the unpasterurized milk, and then later by videotaping police bust the farmers. I think my news station is the one who prompted police action so that they would have a story. I thought it was pretty messed up.

#4 PsychoDrogue

PsychoDrogue

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:07 AM

are we seriously this fucked a country. well. i know that answer... but for fucks sake, leave people the fuck alone if they WANT to buy something. Its not like dealers are pushing this stuff.

#5 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:33 AM

Just another example of enforcement agencies telling you what you can consume and not consume.

:horse:

I wonder when we'll all decide we've finally had enough.

#6 loudenbomber

loudenbomber

Anti X-tian

• Expired Member
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:04 AM

LACTIVISTS ... lol srsly though, very messed up. I was into raw food for a while during my vegan / veggie days.. Now im a satanic meat eater ,but I imagine if I wanted raw , blooody , unpasturizerd meat full of bacteria all I'd need to do is visit any supermarket...

Ppl are going to get sick and thats a fact ,,,, remeber the listeria outbreak last year in processed meats, well that affected N america, just cause a few dedicated ppl choose to live a certain way there isn't any more or less risk than anything else. In most places in europe they don;t refrigerate eggs.

I believe we've become so sterile in our daily lives that were causing a number of allerigies , and laying the foudation for a breeding ground of a viral, or bacterial outbreak becasue of the average persons inability to fight off this stuff... We live in the bubble

#7 bbd2

bbd2

eNtheogen psychonautical voyager navigator

• Free Member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:44 AM

its fucking crazy

drinking raw milk can be bad for u
so you label it "raw milk" and tell ppl to boil it before drinking
some ppl will drink it raw, but they have been informed

this is the special interest bs that we hear about all the time
milk bottlers making rules that benefit their products

black market in raw milk :headbang:

"raw milk: not for human consumption"

#8 bbd2

bbd2

eNtheogen psychonautical voyager navigator

• Free Member
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:52 AM

one day they will tell us we can only buy cooked meat from the store

coz raw meat can cause diseases if eaten raw :eusa_doh:

#9 iamsmiley

iamsmiley

the ice woman

• Expired Member
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:30 PM

come out with your hooves up! i hate the government getting involved with such things,especially when the consumers know that these products are unpasteurized. milk is pasteurized for a good reason though.this reminds me of a guy working at my place once,the guy ran out of coffee whitener so he grabbed my lactating dog and milked her into his coffee!

#10 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:41 PM

Pathetic, nobody ever expects an inquisition.

#11 DarkLestor

DarkLestor

Wanderer

• Expired Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:36 PM

these people are american citizens,

and they are consuming things of their on free will,

so much for "by the people, for the people"

:horse:

#12 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:03 AM

In most places in europe they don;t refrigerate eggs.

I only refrigerate eggs if I buy them out of a refrigerator. If they come straight from the hen, there's no need.

Also, if you wanna look into health risks, check out the practice of homogenization...

#13 CRAMKO

CRAMKO

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 172 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:15 AM

come out with your hooves up! i hate the government getting involved with such things,especially when the consumers know that these products are unpasteurized. milk is pasteurized for a good reason though.this reminds me of a guy working at my place once,the guy ran out of coffee whitener so he grabbed my lactating dog and milked her into his coffee!

As F'd up as this story is (there seems to be some kind of parrallel significance, can't place just what yet), the most F'd up part of this whole thing, at least to me, is dude milking the dog for coffee creamer:puke:. I know its just a state of mind, but that don't sound good at all. He went to a place that is so messed up that it doesn't even get regulated- K9Creamer.

#14 ethnobotanica

ethnobotanica

Botanical-manical

• Expired Member
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:24 AM

So much for "land of he free" eh......

Saying that, if there are outbreaks of said infections then i guess they would want some regulation, but holding the milk up at gunpoint?!?! C'mon!

#15 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,105 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:48 AM

They should be raiding the factories of the massive food corps that have been getting us sick trying to stretch a dollar. Or what about the Sodium Benzoate and other carcinogenic materials in so many foods. Wtf?!

#16 Erkee

Erkee

Trolls'R'us

• Expired Member
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:44 AM

.. or acrylamide in ultra-high temperature pasteurization

#17 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:38 PM

Sheesh, we all know it's for our own good....

Mandatory minimums for raw-milk pushers!!!!!

#18 Stoned Angel

Stoned Angel

aka dew drop daddy

• OG VIP
  • 1,993 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:48 PM

The guns, police, camera's, the needless devastation of freedom, and maybe the poor animals. It's all control & money. The story their telling us is we'll never be able to turely have what we want because the officers will come in guns blazin killing our idea's and our choice's

#19 LSDarkstar

LSDarkstar

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 339 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:27 AM

Man , I say I've had enough a while ago. The nation is being run like a bad trip. man on man.

thank you kindly for the info Mrs. .....
good day to ya,
LSDarkstar

#20 VirgilCaine

VirgilCaine

Pre-hungover

• Expired Member
  • 679 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:41 AM

Holy Toledo, Talk about over-reacting. I enjoy milk straight from the teat--- now before you get a picture of me kneeling, suckling from a teat, let me just say it shoots pretty far--- but, the last thing I need , in such a compramising position, is a gun drawn on me.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!