• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 altered_states

altered_states

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 11:44 AM

I love your bucket o toys there in the background, 3. I am easily entertained also...:)

I have a feeling that quite a few of us are easily entertained...

I was specifically looking for info on self-healing silicone injector ports because I'm mere minutes away from making some Karo jars, but the 'bucket o toys' stopped me dead in my tracks.

I think Buckaroo (and I thought I was the only person who likes that movie) is onto something with the NASA idea...

Honestly, who here hasn't thought of gettin' Psilly in Zero G??? That would be the coolest thing ever...

Maybe worth a shot, Hippie???

#22 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 05:52 PM

they can't afford the fuel needed to shoot my fat ass into orbit...
:dance: :dance: :dance:

#23 spore

spore

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 05:58 PM

here's a pic for ya of some freshly autoclaved airports, great tool of the trade.
spore....

Attached Thumbnails

• readytouseairports.jpg

#24 bohner

bohner

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 07:52 PM

well i didn't pc or autoclave my syringes and i haven't had a problem

#25 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 08:05 PM

great.
i'd still recommend others do.
better safe than sorry.

#26 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 20 October 2005 - 08:21 PM

I've just been wrapping mine in foil and submerging in boiling water for about 20 minutes to sterilize. (PC less at da moment :( )

Hippie is correct that for it to be done correctly and to guard against any contam issues pressure cooking for sterilization is optimal.

#27 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 06:37 AM

I put a blob of white silicone II on the underside of the lid. It makes the injection hole easier to see in my poorly lit/ghetto glove box.

i'd use an ADHESIVE, not a caulk, sticks better.
i use the transparent type so the hole is visible thru it
and haven't bother doing the underside
but your idea here is nice,
i could use blue under and clear above the lid
to create a nice contrast and prevent rust.
thx
:bow:

#28 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 October 2005 - 10:52 PM

Hippie3: Have you had stickiness issues, long term? I was hoping the big blobs above/below would help avoid any issues with sticking to the lid.

The "contrast generator" of a different color on the underside was more personal necessity than inventivness (I've got pretty bad eyes). I'm glad to think I could make a helpful suggestion! This is why it's important for us amateur scientists to detail our processes. You never know where that next idea might come from...

Freakachino: if you submerge/boil, doesn't your poly get wet? I'm TERRIFIED of water getting where I don't want it in my sterile process. I PC my airports in a spawn bag AND I glue tyvek across the syringe opening (AFTER soaking the poly in a sterilant for 24hrs). In you opinion, am I just being wastefully over cautious?

Hippie: can't afford the fuel to shoot you into space? Sir, it is quite obvious from the way your mind works, you have spent a good portion of your life in orbit already!

I much prefer the afterthought port/airport syntax. Let's be honest, dude, these are both major developments. They are both likely to be discussed and used extensively. The more specific you can be now, at incept, the less confusion down the line. Just my .02...

#29 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 October 2005 - 03:59 AM

"the only person who likes that movie"

Don't let Dr. John Bigboote hear you speak such blasphemy! He'll sick John Yaya or John Smallberries on you! The Hong Kong Cavaliers won't be able to help you then...

#30 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 04:53 AM

Hippie3: Have you had stickiness issues, long term?

not at all,
sticks very well to smooth surfaces, actually have to pry it off.
but i do use silicon adhesive, not caulk.

#31 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 04:55 AM

The "contrast generator" of a different color on the underside was more personal necessity than inventivness (I've got pretty bad eyes). I'm glad to think I could make a helpful suggestion! This is why it's important for us amateur scientists to detail our processes. You never know where that next idea might come from...

i've just used the transparent type
and took a red sharpie/magic marker to the hole itself so
the red outline is visible thru the blob.

#32 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 October 2005 - 01:39 PM

Sharpie outline of the hole...GREAT IDEA! That will give me even more contrast and, hopefully, keep me from stabbing the lid three times before hitting the hole! No sexual prowess jokes, please...

#33 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 23 October 2005 - 11:34 PM

Buckaroo, no the poly doesn't get wet because I do them that way empty. I just soak my poly for them in iso alcohol, squeeze it out and add it to the syringe when I need it. Sometimes I just do a load of syringes at a time. Not always sure what I'll use them for so just sterilize them empty that way. Be as cautious as you feel comfortable with. Its important to do things clean etc. so whatever works for you and you are happy with. Also, the foil can be made pretty air tight if folded right.

#34 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 October 2005 - 05:43 PM

Ahhhh, do 'em seperately...makes sense now!

An excellent source of strong alcohol (with Quaternary Ammoniums mixed in) is Alpet D2. Quats kill just about everything the alcohol doesn't and Quats are remarkably safe around "higher" biological life (Alpet D2 is FDA registered as safe for sanitizing food contact surfaces). Inhaling the fumes from a bunch of misted alcohol evaporating will give you quite the head buzz, though. Also, alcohol mist is just a *tad* explosive...

Point your browser at:
http://www.macgill.c...x?product=10003

$8.50 for a spray bottle quart and they deliver it right to your door...

Note: Heavy use of Quats will leave a light "powdered sugar" type residue. Said residue is, however, non toxic and nothing to worry about.

#35 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 05:53 PM

non-toxic to humans
but are you certain about psilocybes ?

#36 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:51 AM

I can't find data specific to Psilocybes (damn LEO), but I can tell you that Quats are very commonly used in the professional mushroom growing industry for large scale disinfection. Mycetox is a Polish formula of Quats and Boric acid developed specifically for use in mushroom growing operations (the Poles have wisely outlawed large scale use of phenolics).

I should have been more clear, though: Alpet D2 is a great disinfectant for your surfaces/tools. It should not come into direct contact with spores/mycelia. Quats are highly ineffective against fungi, but the potent alcohol carrier in Alpet D2 kills fungi dead!

The "powdered sugar" residues of Quats are even less effective against fungi than the Quats themselves. I only mention this residue because seeing it can freak you out if you aren't expecting it.

#37 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 05:41 PM

update to the vaults

#38 lyqwyd

lyqwyd

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 658 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 11:51 AM

this thread is a little old, but i was wondering, hip, if you now put two silicone covered holes in your LC jars at mycrotopia? I got plenty of syringes to make airports wiv, but I am still lacking a pc and so cannot make any LC (those microwave teks blo nuts, ive had nuthing but contams).

#39 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 11:58 AM

yes, i do.
:)

#40 lyqwyd

lyqwyd

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 658 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 07:26 PM

sweet, you can expect some custom soon. is ur blended sub easily steam sterilized? or should i tyndalize (correct me on my spelling)?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!