the dry mix ?
it should be steamed/pc'd as normal for brf-based mixes

#42 agentstone

agentstone

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 11:22 PM

One quick question for ya Hippie...... When using an airport such as the one you describe, how often should one pump that syringe and exchange the air.

Is just leaving 2 airports in a lid with no plunger in either syringe adequate ventilation?

Thanks in advance.
-Stone

#43 panic

panic

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 248 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 12:22 PM

One quick question for ya Hippie...... When using an airport such as the one you describe, how often should one pump that syringe and exchange the air.

Is just leaving 2 airports in a lid with no plunger in either syringe adequate ventilation?

Thanks in advance.
-Stone

yeah, what he said.......

#44 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 02:11 PM

not much is 'needed' to sustain decent growth
but a constant bubbler will give better

#45 thinknot

thinknot

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 12:58 PM

An excellent source of strong alcohol (with Quaternary Ammoniums mixed in) is Alpet D2. Quats kill just about everything the alcohol doesn't and Quats are remarkably safe around "higher" biological life (Alpet D2 is FDA registered as safe for sanitizing food contact surfaces). Inhaling the fumes from a bunch of misted alcohol evaporating will give you quite the head buzz, though. Also, alcohol mist is just a *tad* explosive...

Note: Heavy use of Quats will leave a light "powdered sugar" type residue. Said residue is, however, non toxic and nothing to worry about.

I sometimes use QUATS in the brewery. They're one of the few types of cleaners that leave a killing residue. The powder you're seeing is probably an excess of that. This makes it nice for cleaning walls and floors, but I wouldn't consider it non-toxic: known to cause paralysis and death to birds. That may depend on your preparation though, I know they can be mixed as both detergents and disinfectants.

They do not effectively kill: some gram-negative bacteria (such as pseudomonas), bacterial spores, and fungi. They do kill some viruses though, which is kinda cool.
Depending on what brand you're using, they often require a 10-minute contact time, and can be inactivated if you've got very hard water.

HTH

#46 panic

panic

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 248 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:10 PM

it seems like there was something to be done while pc'ing to prevent vacuum from messin things up.... but i cant remember what it was. dont suppose you'd care to elaborate? foaf would like to use this tek. thx.

#47 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:53 PM

the vacuum doesn't 'mess things up',
but i'll assume you mean
the suction can very quickly slurp up a full syringe of spores during inoculation
if you aren't careful.

the airport makes this very easy to solve-
you just insert the airport before anything else,
it will allow clean air to be sucked in
until the pressure equalizes.
then you can safely inject spores for your liquid culture, etc.

#48 panic

panic

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 248 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:15 PM

yup, that's exactly what i was trying to remember. good thing i asked too, i wouldn't have thought of that.

#49 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 07:45 AM

:bow:

#50 711

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:04 AM

Hey Hip, With this new airport is it better to just seal the jars and then release the vacumm with filtered air, or leave the lid loose during pc for the usual steam penetration. AFOAF who does edibles doesn't have a flowhood and likes any method that keeps him from introducing contams from the air. He knows it would work in theory but what is your opinion on how this would effect sterilization.(Sealed, not loose). He is dying to switch to LC and apologizes for all the questions.

#51 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:37 AM

with this new airport is it better to just seal the jars and then release the vacumm with filtered air [?]

correct

#52 711

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:55 AM

:cool: Cool Man, you guys really kicked flowhoods in the balls with this one!!!
Not saying flowhoods aren't awesome, of course everyone would ideally own one, but with this TEK even a novice can be suscessful without one. It's like the PF tek for LC and air exchange. Very easy and reliable:eusa_clap

#53 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 11:04 AM

thx,
i just love it when folks
acknowledge my genius
:D

#54 711

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 154 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 11:41 AM

This will have to go down as one of the best developments ever in the history of simple home cultivation. Between stretching the spores with LC and Your Airport things have never been better for the home hobbyist of edibles. Thank God for people like Hippie and the rest of Mycotopia who refuse to take no for an answer and are always developing new, better, simpler, and cheaper methods for us to raise our fungal friends.
ALL HAIL MYCOTOPIA:bow: :bow: :bow: :heartbeat

#55 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,991 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 January 2006 - 07:03 PM

This will have to go down as one of the best developments ever in the history of simple home cultivation. Between stretching the spores with LC and Your Airport things have never been better for the home hobbyist of edibles. Thank God for people like Hippie and the rest of Mycotopia who refuse to take no for an answer and are always developing new, better, simpler, and cheaper methods for us to raise our fungal friends.
ALL HAIL MYCOTOPIA:bow: :bow: :bow: :heartbeat

I would second that. I'll be making/using an airport tomorrow, and I only learned of it today; in 5 years this hobby/passion will probably be so far evolved as to be almost beyond imagination thanks to exponentially growing information exchange. Just like the life cycle of higher fungi; each idea is a spore searching for a receptive habitat. Growing underground until conditions are just right, then...the fruit of a new Tek appears, casting yet more spores...Evolution in action.
I have several innovations of my own that I am polishing up and carefully documenting, and some of my designs have already been modified by info I've found here. Once my results are consistent and easily described, I'll cast my ideas into the shifting winds of peer review and y'all can tell me if you like the compressed-air pushbutton liquid inoculator (I'm not kidding), the Towel Tek, $15 autoclavable LC blender, and...I may have already said too much.

soon,
TVC

#56 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 08:48 AM

good luck with all that
:cool:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!