14 replies to this topic

#1 natura

natura

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 09:10 AM

Dunno is it much or Not ?!?

also, I used to have some of my buddies in jail but not now ....

N+

Report: 1 of Every 75 U.S. Men in Prison

http://www.cbn.com/C...ire/040528i.asp

By Connie Cass
Associated Press Writer

May 28, 2004

CBN.com – WASHINGTON (AP) -- America's inmate population grew by 2.9 percent last year, to almost 2.1 million people, with one of every 75 men living in prison or jail.

The inmate population continued its rise despite a fall in the crime rate and many states' efforts to reduce some sentences, especially for low-level drug offenders.

The report issued Thursday by the Justice Department's Bureau of Justice Statistics attributes much of the increase to get-tough policies enacted during the 1980s and '90s, such as mandatory drug sentences, "three-strikes-and-you're-out" laws for repeat offenders, and "truth-in-sentencing" laws that restrict early releases.

Whether that's good or bad depends on who is asked.

"The prison system just grows like a weed in the yard," said Vincent Schiraldi, executive director of the Justice Policy Institute, which pushes for a more lenient system.

Without reforms, he said, prison populations will continue to grow "almost as if they are on autopilot, regardless of their high costs and disappointing crime-control impact."

But Attorney General John Ashcroft said the report shows the success of efforts to take hard-core criminals off the streets.

"It is no accident that violent crime is at a 30-year low while prison population is up," Ashcroft said. "Violent and recidivist criminals are getting tough sentences while law-abiding Americans are enjoying unprecedented safety."

There were 715 inmates for every 100,000 U.S. residents at midyear in 2003, up from 703 a year earlier, the report found.

The nation's incarceration rate tops the world, according to The Sentencing Project, another group that promotes alternatives to prison. That compares with a rate of 169 per 100,000 residents in Mexico, 116 in Canada and 143 for England and Wales.

Russia's prison population, which once rivaled the United States', has dropped to 584 per 100,000 because of prisoner amnesties in recent years, the group said.

The U.S. inmate population in 2003 grew at its fastest pace in four years. The number of inmates increased 1.8 percent in state prisons, 7.1 percent in federal prisons and 3.9 percent in local jails.

In 2003, 68 percent of prison and jail inmates were members of racial or ethnic minorities, the government said. An estimated 12 percent of all black men in their 20s were in jails or prisons, as were 3.7 percent of Hispanic men and 1.6 percent of white men in that age group, according to the report.

The report also said:

-The number of women in state and federal prisons grew by 5 percent, compared to a 2.7 percent increase for men. Still, men greatly outnumber women: 1.36 million to 100,102.

-Local jails held 691,301 inmates.

-The inmate population in 10 states increased at least 5 percent. Some of the smallest state prison systems saw the largest increase: Vermont's grew by 12.2 percent, Minnesota was up 9.4 percent and Maine 9.1 percent.

-Only nine states logged a decrease in prison population, led by Rhode Island with a 3.4 percent drop; Arkansas, 2.2 percent; and Montana, 2.1 percent.

(Message edited by natura on May 29, 2004)

#2 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 29 May 2004 - 09:13 AM

statistics are easily misleading
most of those are short-timers
doing a year or less
more significant would be figures for those doing
5-10+ years.

#3 Guest_rev_*

Guest_rev_*

Posted 29 May 2004 - 09:21 AM

What really scary is that 68% of them are minorities, and I'm sure the largest of them are blacks, blacks represent ~20% of the US population. Why do you think that is? Are our laws not being served equally? It's hard to believe it stems from being mistreated some 8 generations ago, especially when you look at how the crime stats of the 30's and 40's. There were never as many black criminals as there are now. I'm not sure what could explain this fact.

Also, I wonder what percent of those in jail are from the silly drug laws? I'll bet over 50% of them. Imagine what our country would be like if our police departments could search for real criminals instead of us weed smoking people!

#4 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 02:19 AM

C'mon Hip. Think this thru. Short term or not the US locks up WAY more people than anyone else in the entire world.

The freaky thing about it is that it is so normal to go to jail in the states that people don't even take is seriously anymore (see Natura's and Hip's posts as examples). The US is becoming a police state and it's seen as normal.

This level of incarceration is NOT normal. Man, I don't know even know anyone who has gone to jail in spite of the fact that Canada (where I live) is one of the leaders in incarceration.

#5 Guest_hippie3_*

Guest_hippie3_*

Posted 30 May 2004 - 05:24 AM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Short term or not the US locks up WAY more people than anyone else in the entire world. <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
the question though,
is how to interpret that data.
it could just mean that the US
has much better law enforcement
and catches more criminals.

#6 Guest_jackb_*

Guest_jackb_*

Posted 30 May 2004 - 10:33 PM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Considering that the states has about 10,000 or whatever gun murders a year and Canada and countries like Japan and China that have immense populations have in the range of 20 to 200. I would say they should be locking up a few more folks.

#7 natura

natura

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 02:55 AM

It's not true at all.
Even if typycal latino country in Europe like Italy, Police knows what they must do.

#8 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 12:27 AM

" it could just mean that the US
and catches more criminals."

If that were true then other countries would be saddled with incompetent law enforcement and they would be crime ridden. Like Iraq is now. And clearly Europe and Canada don't fit into that category.

I have a degree in Criminology and worked with at risk youth for about seven years before changing careers. In all that time I have not heard of any study that links incarcerationn to reduced crime.

Crime is linked to poverty and a surplus of young males. Neither of which is addressed by imprisonment.

Also, the states has a very punative approach to law enforcement and locks people up as it is good politics. And since the jails are for-profit it is also good business to have as many inmates as possible.

Aaaaaand, let's not forget the war on drugs which I think is responsible for 20% of prison inmates and rising (give or take I can't remember the correct stat right now).

From what I have seen both in school and out prisons are a colassal failure and just act as a bandade for the real problems in society.

#9 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:47 AM

I just had to get down with this topic so heres my input.I dont think that figure is right.its actually that one out of every man in the usa will be, have been, or is in jail.The population in the us is bout 300 million so you figure 2.1 mill in jail thats not adding up.well this is the most litigated country in the world and we have more laws then any other country.so of course there will be a higher incarceration rate esp with the war on drugs.Do you relly think that everyone in jail deserves to be there of course not.i say stop the war on drugs and the violence will stop not entirely but dramaticly.look at amsterdam.they have one of the lowest crime rates in the world.and the cops in allmost all of europe dont even carry guns so something is wrong i agree.Posted Image

#10 EYMAIOS

EYMAIOS

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 268 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 07:46 AM

Crime is a social phenomenon that shoud not be centered primarily on the person but on State responsibility that produces it.

Law enforced incarceration in such numbers is the evidence of poor governence.

Proper education, social security, healthcare, and concern for the benefit of the citizen are duties of the state. Criminals in such percentage, indicate an indifferent, irresponsible State that failed in all humanitarian duties.
US is the perfect garden for growing injustice in favor of a cruel financial elite.

Money is the value, not the man!
Πάντων χρημάτων μέτρον άνθρωπος!

Τhis anchient Greek saying, that is translated: "Man is the supreme value amongst usefull things" is showing that after 24 centuries of progress, US are a total humanitarian failure!

#11 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,679 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2021 - 11:29 AM

Wow, you're diving DEEP into the vaults. I'd never seen this thread because it was started before I got here!

[Direct Link]

• EYMAIOS likes this

#12 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2021 - 11:46 AM

Have to admit...I enjoyed seeing this because it showed hippie being, I assume, contrarian and doing it very poorly :)

• TVCasualty likes this

#13 EYMAIOS

EYMAIOS

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 268 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 03:55 PM

Wow, you're diving DEEP into the vaults. I'd never seen this thread because it was started before I got here!

[Direct Link]

I had the privillege to be a Mycotopia member (with the name Promitheus) the times that blessed Hippie3 was alive, so its only natural to dig old archives.
The incarcerated American people percentage has doubled since 2004...sob...sob...

• TVCasualty likes this

#14 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,146 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2021 - 04:01 PM

Man, I feel so unfortunate when ppl bring up hippi3.. Grrr...

Everyone sings his praises, just wish I could of known the man aaannddd the legend... :/

#15 DarkNchildlike

DarkNchildlike

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,146 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 January 2021 - 04:01 PM

Whos been here longer you or Mikey.. Lol

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!