• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Analgesia

Analgesia

Purple!!!

• Expired Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:56 PM

This section of the forum caught my eye. I was raised in a historic log cabin on a 1800s style homestead. We lived the old way- pulled our water from a well by hand, heated it on the stove for bath and dish water... Grew our own food, crapped in an outhouse, drank our milk still warm from the cow. (Not necissarily in that order)

I was curious though- how many other folks are still out there, living that fashioned life?

Just wondering.

#2 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,643 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:04 PM

I live on a farm in a house that was built in 1905 but i do have indoor plumbing. :lol:
I have drank warm goat milk hot cocoa. yummy. I do not have a well i have a cistern.
I have 4 goats, 3 turkeys, 4 guineas, and a bunch of chickens and ducks. oh yeah 4 rabbits, 2 dogs, 2 cats, and a partridge in a pear tree. :lol:

#3 Analgesia

Analgesia

Purple!!!

• Expired Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:39 AM

Mrs. Hippie3: Somehow I thought you might be a downhome girl! Sounds like a lovely little setup you have there.

I know my lifestyle is a bit on the extreme side, but thats how I like it. Close to nature.
I dont even live in the log cabin anymore- I left that to my father years ago. Now I live on the land with no walls or ceiling to cage me in... I consider myself extremely lucky that I have land where I can live this way, I know few people have the option.

BTW: I do have a laptop which is how I am able to get internet- but only if I ride my custom gas/electric/solar hybrid bicycle in to town...
Such a hard life...:rasta:
Reeeally hard. Poor me...:eusa_booh

This year I did have some serious issues with mold in my flower garden- destroyed most of my poppies, as well as some food crops. Too much rain at the wrong time, no way to dry the pods- living like this I certainly am at the mercy of the elements!

#4 McDozd

McDozd

In this moment

• OG VIP
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:48 AM

I live on a farm in a house that was built in 1905 but i do have indoor plumbing. :lol:
I have drank warm goat milk hot cocoa. yummy. I do not have a well i have a cistern.
I have 4 goats, 3 turkeys, 4 guineas, and a bunch of chickens and ducks. oh yeah 4 rabbits, 2 dogs, 2 cats, and a partridge in a pear tree. :lol:

I am jealous. We have no chickens, but its getting to the point now the wife wants to invest in some birds. If you don't mind me asking you got 20+ acres to work with as well?
Mc
:weedpoke:

#5 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,643 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:56 AM

I have about 130 acres or so, plenty of room.

#6 loudenbomber

loudenbomber

Anti X-tian

• Expired Member
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:17 PM

This section of the forum caught my eye. I was raised in a historic log cabin on a 1800s style homestead. We lived the old way- pulled our water from a well by hand, heated it on the stove for bath and dish water... Grew our own food, crapped in an outhouse, drank our milk still warm from the cow. (Not necissarily in that order)

I was curious though- how many other folks are still out there, living that fashioned life?

Just wondering.

I live this way in the summer at my camp on a lake .. Winters are too cold around here to mess around with hand pumps and out houses

#7 iamsmiley

iamsmiley

the ice woman

• Expired Member
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:20 AM

as a kid i spent most of my summers living in a log cabin my father built.we had no electricity other than a generator we'd turn on to vacuum the odd time.we had a hand pump to get water out of our well, one of the few good wells in the area.we used an outhouse even at -35c. we used a wood stove to cook and heat water. i really miss it out there but don't miss when my dad would come up behind the outhouse at night making bear noises and shaking the outhouse.there where many bears in the area.

#8 Analgesia

Analgesia

Purple!!!

• Expired Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:37 AM

i really miss it out there but don't miss when my dad would come up behind the outhouse at night making bear noises and shaking the outhouse.there where many bears in the area.

AAHH, the old Bear/ Outhouse trick.... brings back memories....

My least favorite part is trips to the privy in the winter. At sub-zero temperatures, with a sweaty behind, it is actually possible to freeze one's private parts to the toilet seat. I never experienced the full on adhesion effect personally, but will never forget my older sister's pathetic cries of desperation echoing up the valley- begging for ANYTHING hot to melt her free...

Fortunately we managed to release her with a minimum of pain on her part- unfortunately I failed to contain my laughter. :eusa_sileNeedless to say- revenge was had. (A tube of Superglue -and the very same toilet seat- were involved...)

#9 Dr.Hallucination

Dr.Hallucination

Chasing the Rabbit.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,480 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:31 AM

Hello Analgesia and Welcome to Mycotopia.:rasta:

I was reading through this post when something caught my eye.You said you ride a custom gas/electric/solar hybrid bicycle....Do you have pictures,I would love to see this bicycle.
  • zodd likes this

#10 Analgesia

Analgesia

Purple!!!

• Expired Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:33 AM

No problem. My camera is back home in the attic somewhere... As soon as I find it I have lots of pics to post, including snapshots of some really pretty shoulder high black, purple and hot pink poppies from this spring's garden... As well as several gas, electric, and hybrid vehicles.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!