• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 09:46 PM

Anyone out there doing it............I am going o be doing some stuff sometime soon here in the future.........probably just mess with some beer creations.........

was wondering if there is an interest for anyone here......

pretty cool stuff IMO.......

if you like bio/chem and drinking u cant go wrong.......

so let me know whats up peeps.........

#2 Chaos

Chaos

Mocksvillian

• Expired Member
  • 426 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 10:01 PM

I used to brew beer. The first batch was ok, the second was beter. The third was almost perfect ! Tasted just like newcastle(my fav). Then it all went down hill. I gave it up after a few batches went bad.
Now i know that it was poor sanitation. It was a fun hobby ! But most of my gear was lost in a move? Now i just enjoy the stock stuff. Lately many vineyards are poping up in my area. Sure would like to try wine making.

#3 jestah

jestah

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 12:09 AM

Hi

I have been brewing for a few years now on and off and find it fun. I mostly make very high % vodka for a few of my hobbies.

Building a still is quite simple if you can silver solder and most parts can be had at your local plumbing shop. Once you have a good still its just a matter of brewing any thing ....

I have made a few beers too and its easy and a bit of fun sitting around sharing a few with mates and knowing they are loving what you made.

I have been told that the wine kits in NZ are fantastic. Im not sure if you could get them but if not i could always ship one over to you?

#4 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 12:20 AM

really i got a good handle on it, and i am really trying to see if there is some interest in this here at mycotopia..........

also, if people had recipies and such would be great, or teks.

gonna be a fun spring/summer............can't wait.

#5 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 02:32 AM

here's a nice little informative link......

#1http://www.homebrewa.../howtobrew.html

#2http://byo.com/

#3http://www.realbeer.com/spencer/

#4http://www.beer-brewing.com/

#6 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:03 AM

Here's a nice outfit that has several kits of several varieties of beer. I know you probably want to have your own recipe but, these beers are very, very good. It may be something to look into to get started.http://www.annapolis...cipekits101.asp

#7 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:15 AM

Malt Extract for other things.:D http://www.annapolis...shopEXTbulk.asp

#8 iamsmiley

iamsmiley

the ice woman

• Expired Member
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 04:06 AM

i love to make vodka!

#9 red_lenses

red_lenses

Pandoras Box Is Open

• Free Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 04:13 PM

I have been brewing beer since 1999.
100+ batches.
The brewmasters bible by stephen snyder is a good read and has quite a few killer recipies as well.
Once I invested in a kegging system I had a whole different outlook on home brew, no more friggin bottles too mess with !!
There's nothing quite like tapping 5 gal. of 12 % spiced christmas ale at a halloween party !!
Now I only use grains and use syrup,honey and corn sugar to up the alc.%
Homegrown hops are fun as well.
Best of luck
Red

#10 Elf Salvation

Elf Salvation

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 733 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 04:34 PM

:drk: Thats great stuff fellows. Hope to see more info on this subject in the future.
Elf

#11 inky

inky

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 01:52 AM

I'm interested. Keep the info coming.
Peace
~Inky~

#12 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:04 AM

I'm fairly new to the brewing scene, but I've been here for a couple years now, just started on my 6th batch.

However, I choose to brew mead. Its much easier than beer or wine as the honey provides its own antiseptic properties and combined with a vigorous yeast produces an 18% mead. What this means is that there is no pasteurization required. Also, no grain involved, which eliminates a major, laborious, step from the production.

I've been very suprised to find that my product varies greatly from the commercial varieties of mead that I've found available. Rather than a 10% or so syrupy uncarbonated beverage, I have produced a carbonated, heady brew around 18% every time.

I generally have been producing melomels, and an occasional metheglin; meaning that I add fruit, or spices, to the must as it ferments. Generally it takes about three months to get to bottling, and another three to six months to age properly if not a full year, though I've never had any last that long for some reason...

:dance: :drk: :dance:

I've heard complaints from homebrewers of not enjoying having to wash all those bottles. But I've found that if I wash each bottle after I empty it, and recap it (I use grolsch style bottles with the hinged lid) then there's no real need to go to all that trouble. However, even having to deal with crates of empty and full bottles can get tedious... So I've recently been looking into investing in some of those cylindrical kegs... buying more stuff is always the answer of course...

Anyways, that's my take on the situation... I've been meaning to get around to recreating that thread I started on mead but lost in some board changeover or some snafu from a few months ago... but there was a trainwreck that's been keeping me sort of imobilized lately... :smokin:

#13 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:31 AM

lol, ya smaller kegs r the way to go..........

#14 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2006 - 03:32 PM

I would certainly be most interested in hearing your experiences. I've never really considered home brewing. From those links you posted above, it seems pretty easy (easier than mushies, anyway!).

Then again, if I started making my own beer, too, I would be left with precious few reasons to leave the house...

#15 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:24 PM

well i hope to be doing some stuff throughout this spring/summer BUCK..........

#16 iamsmiley

iamsmiley

the ice woman

• Expired Member
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:23 PM

be careful playing with your home brew then playing with your mushies because you could give them a yeast infection! I learned this the hard way when i soaked some rice to long and the natural yeasts began to ferment it in about three days then i birthed a bunch of cakes after playing around with this booze smelling rice and a few days later i noticed a booze smell in my tubs along with light brown snotty looking bubbles(i guess thats how you describe yeast?).I got lucky and had my cakes suspended so the yeast didn't touch most of them,so i bleached out my tubs and washed my cakes off with sulphur-lime(natural antibiotic found at garden centre)and h202, got lucky and saved them just before pinning.Harvested happy healthy mushies a couple weeks later

#17 Lefty

Lefty

Arrogant Asshole

• Expired Member
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:01 PM

Just had some brandy my girlfriends' dad made, I'll dig the recipe up. Was thinking of making some but haven't got the stuff together yet.

#18 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:09 PM

my primary skill is in making booze
disappear.
:crazy1:

#19 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:57 PM

lol

#20 DocOc

DocOc

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 193 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:33 PM

I've always just gone with kits and followed the directions included, with one exception. I recently invested in a keg and made a really malty ~17% etoh beer. After secondary fermentation straight into the keg. Add some CO2 and shake. Rinse repeat and voila: BEER.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!