Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

are you planning on canning any food this year?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 iamsmiley

iamsmiley

the ice woman

• Expired Member
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:04 PM

my next door neighbour is really cool.she lives in a cabin like its 1890 or something for the most part.she grew an amazing garden and grows animals for meat or her hubby hunts for the rest.today she showed me all the canning she has been working on,it all looks amazingly good,even the petrified chickens in mason jars.i don't grow my own garden because i am so afraid of inviting pests into my favorite garden(wink,wink,nudge,nudge) but used to grow a nice garden for my grandma years ago.so I'm wondering how many 'topiates do their own canning since most of us have all the right equipment and a green or blue thumb?

#2 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,088 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:28 AM

Smiley,

We don't do any canning--yet. We are interested in all things self-sufficient, though, and as time goes on we'll learn more and more about things like this. As of three years ago we were totally naive to anything like that lifestyle. Then we spent a couple of summers on an organic veggie farm. Now we can grow a vegetable garden. Canning is a logical next step, so we'll have shelves of jars full of something other than mycelium soon!

Your friend with the cabin exemplifies the kind of life we want. It's a dignified, sustainable way to live. Sounds really arduous, too, but at least for the years before we're in diapers that's what we're headed for.

#3 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:39 AM

I moved this to our farm forum.

And I've been canning all season what we've been unable to consume. It's nice in the dead cold of winter to eat some green beans or make chili with some canned tomatoes.

:thumbup:

#4 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,641 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:52 AM

Yes, I have been canning all summer. I have my kitchen table full of home-made jams:
Blueberry
Strawberry
Peach
Apple Maple
Raspberry
Cherry
Plum and
Apple butter
Last year i canned pickles, apples and salsa.
I have a neighbor that has 16 apple trees and they have given me about 200 pounds of apples so far this year!
I can also make a bad-ass apple pie.

#5 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:58 AM

I'm sure your apple pie is damn good!

Freeze your pies and they'll be tasty treats later on.

#6 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,641 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:11 AM

I'm sure your apple pie is damn good!

Freeze your pies and they'll be tasty treats later on.

I do freeze what I do not sell at the local farmers markets

#7 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,088 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:31 AM

I do freeze what I do not sell at the local farmers markets

I've been wondering about that. Is it hard to get through the legal loops to be allowed to sell at markets? I heard there is some kind of insurance you need...

#8 Mrs.Hippie3

Mrs.Hippie3

QueenBee

• Founders
  • 11,641 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:53 AM

Not around here.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!