• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 05:29 PM

Just checked on the jars that I shot up with the first LC syringe.

Germination very evident after three days.

The other jars from the regular syringes have no germination dispite having at least twice as many spores per CC.

It will be interesting to see how many days advantage this gives the jars.

Also made up another syringe using Corn Syrup (Karo I believe is another name) just in case the maple syrup wasn't a good choice.

#22 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 19 February 2006 - 05:53 PM

I'll be inoculating jars with my above syriges tonight.

A grain jar that got noc'd with the original spore water is colonizing quickly so I hope these syringes work a little quicker.

Chill, sounds like this method is working okay so far. My syringes are getting larger masses of mycelium every day. I'd like to see how that maple syrup works out for you!

#23 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:13 PM

i've seen this b4.
works ok but i think it's a bit inefficient.
the only snag
besides the air thing already mentioned
is that sometimes the growth gets too thick
and plugs the needle.
hard to break it up inside a syringe.

#24 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:38 PM

Takes the jar out of the equation essentially I guess.

Like Buckaroo suggested, a bb or something small inside the syringe could break the mycellium some.

Figured it was a good way to see other options for lc's.

#25 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:42 PM

i wonder if the live tissue in individual syringes
ups the ante, legally speaking,
i.e. intent ?

#26 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:53 PM

I wouldn't put it past them trying to "up the ante"

I'd never mail one of these either. I very rarely mail syringes, prints are just so easy and stealthier.

#27 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 08:43 PM

I'll be inoculating jars with my above syriges tonight.

A grain jar that got noc'd with the original spore water is colonizing quickly so I hope these syringes work a little quicker.

Chill, sounds like this method is working okay so far. My syringes are getting larger masses of mycelium every day. I'd like to see how that maple syrup works out for you!

hi Freak,

got any pics of the large myc masses?

#28 (nilla)

(nilla)

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 334 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 10:22 PM

I actually use to do this.
Id put a small screw or anything small inside the syringe before sterilizing it.
I have two 80ml syringes of Dixie growing out now,been growing a week in a simple sugar water ratio to taste.

#29 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:58 PM

Here are some pix of one syringe I inoculated with. I shook it up a bit before the pic. It all went fine so we'll see how germination goes.

It still had a lot of spores left in it as you can see.

I'm moving the rest to the fridge for storage to test that out. See how long they store for.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2006_0220Image0004.JPG
  • 2006_0220Image0005.JPG

#30 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:11 PM

Chill. If you make syringes from prints on paper; (like you were asking ?'s a few weeks ago), in a few days you'll have a liquid cullture in your syringe. The paper provides just enough nutrition for germination and growth.

#31 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:58 PM

Here are some pix of one syringe I inoculated with. I shook it up a bit before the pic. It all went fine so we'll see how germination goes.
It still had a lot of spores left in it as you can see.
I'm moving the rest to the fridge for storage to test that out. See how long they store for.

Hi Freak,
I can definately see it in the first pic. Keep us up to date on the progress with the jars.
How many days to see that type of germination?
PM for the GT print if you are interested. :eusa_clap :kewl:

#32 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:00 PM

Chill. If you make syringes from prints on paper; (like you were asking ?'s a few weeks ago), in a few days you'll have a liquid cullture in your syringe. The paper provides just enough nutrition for germination and growth.

Hi lazlo,

that's good to hear as I have collected a few prints of azurecens (thanks guys!!), one of which is on paper, and will be doing up some syringes, possibly this weekend.

#33 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:04 PM

Thanks Chill.
I'm thinking the jars will show germination in a couple days. I doubt I'll see anything tomorrow.

No worries about the print. Hold a contest, or save it for someone else, maybe another inthe thread if they post up a pic. Maybe I'll do up a pictorial of the whole process when I get a chance. :)

#34 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:09 PM

I actually use to do this.
Id put a small screw or anything small inside the syringe before sterilizing it.
I have two 80ml syringes of Dixie growing out now,been growing a week in a simple sugar water ratio to taste.

Nilla,

Cool. How much do you think this cuts down on colonization time?

Got any pics of the syringes by any chance?

#35 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:12 PM

No worries about the print. Hold a contest, or save it for someone else, maybe another in the thread if they post up a pic. :)

Cool,

Sure thing then. A print for the next two people who document how they can get live mycelium in a syringe, straight from spores (no intermediary steps such as a LC jar etc).

#36 (nilla)

(nilla)

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:50 AM

Honestly i think spores are more superior.
Tissue will for sure expand what u hav to work with,as far as colonizing, it will take off way faster but seems to slow a little toward the end "at least for me".
I think a dark syringe and shooting above average cc's can easlly out beat tissue as far as colonizing goes.
Also with tissue you need to eventually go back to spore.

I will try and post sum pix tommorow,<< i suk at it so i will hav to do sum work.

#37 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:37 AM

Honestly i think spores are more superior.
Tissue will for sure expand what u hav to work with,as far as colonizing, it will take off way faster but seems to slow a little toward the end "at least for me".
I think a dark syringe and shooting above average cc's can easlly out beat tissue as far as colonizing goes.
Also with tissue you need to eventually go back to spore.

Interesting observations.

I have some dark syringes vs.a tissue spore going right now. Will have to see how that works. If you're right then that would simplify my life as I make my syringes dark and could just skip the LC stage.

#38 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:40 AM

Well, thats interesting Nilla.

The Z spore water that my karo syringes were made from inoculated a grain jar as just spore solution. It is already colonized. It was pretty quick from the multi-spore. So, if the karo syringes aren't as fast, I'd say for this strain, I'll stick with spore water instead of live mycelium.

#39 (nilla)

(nilla)

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:24 PM

I first got into the whole LC thing when i first started because i wasnt self eficient yet and reading archives i found this and thought it would save me $$ from buying syringes all the time.
IMO if you can make prints save your self the hastle,i mean whats a few days??
In this hobby we learn to be patient.
Now cloned mushie tissue in a syringe is a whole nother thing..
My 2 pennies

#40 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:28 PM

IMO if you can make prints save your self the hastle,i mean whats a few days??
In this hobby we learn to be patient.

I agree Nilla, patience is important.

I think for me it's about finding a better way of doing things. If the process can be done in 1 month instead of two why not do it in that way? There's also the satisfaction of doing something better than before.

Small improvements every day, that's how we get better as people, rather than massive revolutions.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!