:flash: :p

#62 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 01:20 AM

Day 3, progress is very encouraging.

I have very visible growth on all the jars that were innoculated with LC.

Of the four jars that were done with a 'crystal' syringe from one of the local vendors none are showing any signs of growth. This is even more telling since I used a whole syringe for only 4 jars instead of the regular 12. Pretty much what I expected.

I'll take pics around day 5 since this is the average germination date for regular syringes in my experience (plus I'm too tired tonight). Then I'll compare the two (LC vs. regular syringe).

Only one jar went down to contams with a single comtamination point. Of the close to 40 jars I've done this way this is the only innoculation point to have any contams so I believe it is a safe way to make syringes.

#63 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 12:36 AM

:cool:

#64 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:29 PM

Here are the pics.

The first two are of the best colonization. About half are showing this rate of growth. Again, this is at day 5 after innoculation so I am feeling very pleased.

The next pic is of average colonization. Still very strong compared to regular MS innoculation just not 'rippin it up' like the other jars. I put this down to the myc clumping together in the syringe. Using the syringe earlier or shaking more might help it be more consistent. But am still satisfied.

The last shot is from the crystal vendor syringe. Nada. Even for a regular multispore there should be something on day five. Especially since there are 3 cc per jar.

I think I'll contact the vendor and suggest making their syringes a little darker as this isn't the first time I've had trouble getting the suckers to germinate.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0395.JPG
  • DSCN0394.JPG
  • DSCN0389.JPG
  • DSCN0392.JPG

#65 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:43 PM

incubation temp ?

#66 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 05:43 PM

incubation temp ?

The incubation chamber is a standard TiT with a plexiglass window for light exposure from innoculation onwards. Am hoping to have pinning in under a week from full colonization.

The incubation temps are 85 - 86F.

I have also turned the jars upside down as I have noticed that the bottom colonizes very slowly and I have a theory that part of the reason for this is that the verm is too dry and hard. I've done early birthings b4 and have noticed how rocklike the verm gets to be. I am hoping to keep the bottom more moist by having them up-ended.

Attached Thumbnails

• incubator 002.jpg
  • incubator 001.jpg

#67 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 05:46 PM

that's a bit warm,
remember glass traps heat
and life generates heat.
if the air temp is 85-86
it's pushing 90 inside your jars
air temp therefore should be ~80*F

#68 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 07:45 PM

good point hip,

I know this too but for some reason just left it that way.

Anyways, blanket has been removed and that should drop the temp several degrees.

#69 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:10 PM

Success.

I think I read somewhere that someone had full colonization after only 9 days and I wanted to see if I could do it.

From the pic you can see that there are two sets of jars. The six on the left were created from a cold LC syringe process. The five on the right were created using standard boiled water. The ones on the left did better I believe since no O2 was boiled out of the water thus aiding growth. Of these one jar is indeed fully colonized and 4 more could be birthed early if you wanted too. Preemie births are very doable.

None of the vendor syringes survived. They germinated on day six but were fully contamed with some reddish / pinkish sort of stuff. Took no chances and removed them from the grow area.

At some point I'll do up a LC tek since I am very happy with the results. The growth patern is nice and even and thick. No patches at all. Germination and colonization is fast and contamination is very low.

Attached Thumbnails

• day_9.JPG

#70 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:40 PM

9 days is pretty sweet IMHO. Nicely done man!

#71 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:01 AM

The ones on the left did better I believe since no O2 was boiled out of the water thus aiding growth.

interesting though.
what makes you think that boiling depleted dissolved o2 ?
at first glance
one would think that the mechanical agitation of boiling
would improve dissolved o2 content.

#72 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 10:26 AM

interesting though.
what makes you think that boiling depleted dissolved o2 ?
at first glance
one would think that the mechanical agitation of boiling
would improve dissolved o2 content.

Took a little work but I found a link on the effects of heating water on O2 levels: http://www.lenntech....s_important.htm
"If water is too warm, there may not be enough oxygen in it."
From the wikipedia entry on thermal pollution:
"Increases in water temperature can alter aquatic organisms by (a) decreasing oxygen supply..."
One can put O2 back into the water by shaking it (aeration) just like water flowing over the top of a waterfall.
Gotta get to work. Later :teeth:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!