viraljimmy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:43 PM

Friday, March 17, 2006
Police bust interstate ring of psychedelic mushroom candies
MICHAEL RIGERT - Daily Herald

A cache of a seasonal delicacy of illegal narcotics users -- hallucinogenic mushrooms fashioned into caramel candies -- is off the streets in Utah County after police broke up an interstate ring.

Approximately $100,000 worth of narcotic bonbons were seized in Provo and Arcata, Calif., in the past month by Utah County Major Crimes Task Force members and their California counterparts after a monthlong investigation into the distribution of psilocybin mushrooms, said Lt. Mike Forshee, the task force's commander.

The mushrooms, which give a user a psychedelic effect similar to LSD or peyote, are a main ingredient in the candies that were being produced in Arcata and then mailed to Provo as a distribution point, he said.

Investigators seized approximately 300 of the candies in Provo and 2 to 3 pounds of the psilocybin mushrooms along with candy molds, wrapping paper and the finished candies in Arcata. California police also discovered large quantities of marijuana and lab equipment used to convert it into hash oil.

"This was a multi-state distribution ring and fairly significant," Forshee said. "We've never seen mushrooms packaged like this made into candies. This is unusual."

Psilocybin mushrooms grow naturally in moist forests in the Northwest, he said, yet a farm or lab is required to grow them in any sizable quantities.

The mushrooms and their byproducts, in this case caramel candies, are popular club drugs and are found at raves, Forshee said.

"We won't see them for a year ... then all of sudden they'll pop up for a month," he said. "It's kind of bizarre."

Taran Newson, 21, of Orem, was arrested Feb. 15 by the task force on charges of distribution and possession of the mushrooms and possession of ecstasy and hash oil.

Ammon R. Wilkinson, 24, of Provo, was arrested on a federal warrant this month for conspiracy to distribute psilocybin mushrooms.

Forshee said the two Utah suspects and single California suspect both face federal prosecution in the case.

"Other arrests are pending," he said.

Melodie Rydalch, a spokeswoman with the U.S. Attorney's Office in Salt Lake City, said federal conspiracy to distribute psilocybin complaints were filed against Wilkinson and Aaron L. Struth, the Arcata-based suspect in the mushroom ring, on Tuesday.

Wilkinson is scheduled to appear today before a U.S. magistrate judge at 11 a.m., she said. Struth had a detention hearing before a judge Thursday.

"The potential penalty for the charge is up to 20 years in federal prison," Rydalch said.

It's not uncommon for further charges or defendants to be added to a case prior to it going before a grand jury, she said.

Getting drug-filled mushroom candy off the street wasn't the only thing keeping task force members busy this week.

On Tuesday, Major Crimes officers broke up a Pleasant Grove methamphetamine operation netting nearly 4 ounces of the drug with a street value of $11,000, along with other drugs and cash.

After detectives apprehended one suspect who fled on foot during a traffic stop, Forshee said police were aided by an unlikely source -- a young man on a blind date with a girl. He saw the driver leave as police chased the other suspect, and he followed the car into American Fork and called police.

That led to the arrest of three other suspects and search warrants seizing methamphetamine, marijuana and other drug paraphernalia at two Pleasant Grove residences.

Related story: Pot Candy and Soda Bust

Attached Thumbnails

• 0317061candy1.jpg
  • 0317061candy4.jpg
  • 0317061candy3.jpg
  • protected.gif

#2 malefacter

malefacter

:P

• Expired Member
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:12 PM

lol

#3 shadyfigure

shadyfigure

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 271 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:24 PM

"The potential penalty for the charge is up to 20 years in federal prison," Rydalch said.

isnt that the same for armed robbery?

#4 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:30 PM

Damn if they weren't some expensive candies! $100,000 for 300 candies? I bet. lol!

#5 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:49 PM

pretty funny, the candy wrappers 'n all
but real dumb.
like painting a target on yourself
that only the DEA can see.

#6 Gamera

Gamera

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 331 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:10 PM

The candy wrappers are from a similar but separate and distinct bust.

The candies (all pot related) were sold openly for years at California cannibis clubs, for whatever reason the DEA just decide to bust them. The local news made a point of emphaszing that they had never been marketed or even seen outside licenced cannibis clubs, in effect taking issue with the DEA's suggestion that they were dangerous for children.

Scary thing is that the shroom bust will probably carry twice the jail time as the pot bust.

If you have never checked it out, the DEA has a fascinating newsletter on its recent busts called Microgram

#7 lyqwyd

lyqwyd

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 658 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:16 PM

that gave me a good laff. sucks for the guys who got busted tho.

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:29 PM

yeah,
the judge and prosecutor
will no doubt
have a good chuckle too
after they send the guy down for a hard 20.

#9 viraljimmy

viraljimmy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:52 PM

If you look at the labels, they
actually include the thc content.
Nothing like doing the cops' work
for them.

The microgam report is interesting.
Seems most of the shit on there these
days is bogus. Fake acid, fake e, fake oxys...

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:55 PM

at least
that's what they sell the cops eh.
:reb:

#11 I_am_me

I_am_me

Odderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 10:52 PM

"Psilocybin mushrooms grow naturally in moist forests in the Northwest, he said, yet a farm or lab is required to grow them in any sizable quantities.

The mushrooms and their byproducts, in this case caramel candies, are popular club drugs and are found at raves, Forshee said."

Don't worry guys, they're only lookin' for labs, farmers and ravers. :lol:

Feel sorry for the people busted though, sucks to look at 20 years over drugs.

#12 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 11:04 PM

wow catchy pot candy names and psilocybe candies..... what more could i ask for in life?

#13 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,541 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2006 - 11:04 PM

Greed and mushrooms just don't seem to mix well. It's almost like the shrooms don't want to be sold but want to be given away instead.

#14 synth

synth

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 853 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:12 AM

yeah, those pot candies/sodas look really cool.
the labels were pretty pro... i wonder if that
kind of stuff will be legally sold one day.

#15 Gamera

Gamera

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 331 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:45 PM

yeah, those pot candies/sodas look really cool.
the labels were pretty pro... i wonder if that
kind of stuff will be legally sold one day.

They were being legally sold in California cannibis clubs. The police were letting them be, it was the feds that decided to bust them.

#16 Leary's Ghost

Leary's Ghost

wuzam.o.d

• Expired Member
  • 621 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:29 PM

i think california has pretty much given up on pot busts, i am happy to say. unless you have pounds of it in your trunk or are selling it in a school. just about anyone can get a card from a DR. and distribution clubs are everywhere. its legal according to state law, but not federal. the state law enforcement dosnt seem to give a shit mostly and the feds dont seem to have the budget. its a great step in the right direction. hopefully we will lead the way on the decriminalization of other soft drugs. i would be out there fighting for the cause, but i dont want to call any attention to myself--if you know what i mean.

#17 shroom_seeker

shroom_seeker

Still seeking...

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 02:59 PM

Hallucinogenic mushrooms fashioned into caramel candies = tasty

Up to 20 years in a federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison = not so much

#18 aumbrellaforainydays

aumbrellaforainydays

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 03:58 PM

i hope i get some of these trick or treating this weekenD!

http://www.thesmokin...17061candy6.jpg

#19 Mycorama

Mycorama

Fungitarian

• Expired Member
  • 640 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 04:28 PM

i make the mushrooms i eat into candys, and i do give them away time to time. but the chocolate i use is usually a dark chocolate and milk chocolate mix, and doesnt taste very good. or well, its not a sweet taste anyways.
i dont think little kids would be into my candys if they found one somewhere.

i want to makes some hash and mix it in with some chocolate, i figure if i press it with heat i could activate the trichomes and it would be edible at that point...

#20 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,031 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 October 2006 - 05:50 PM

wow 300 candies and 3 lbs of mushies... if at 10 a gram that's 61 bucks a candy...
cops suck at math

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!