• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:43 PM

I'm wanting to get into canning to preserve the chanties I'm hunting. I have no prior canning experience but have plenty of experience in sterilizing spawn, LC, etc. Plus I have like 200 WM half pints from back in the day. I was wondering if foods can be canned by mushroom style sterilizing rather than conventional methods, like only using an inch of water in the bottom of the PC instead of bringing the water level halfway up the jars, and stacking the jars like a PF run, and only running 10 psi as the recipes call for? I've read chanties aren't a very good dryer mushroom, so I'm looking into canning and freezing these tasty morsels.

#2 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:52 PM

Yep that will work fine, I canned a TON of chanterelles last season. We also made like 5 gallons of cream of chanterelle soup and canned that too. Using your PC just like your doing jars will be fine, I have canned hundreds of food jars this way, or you can do the standard water bath in a canning pot method. Cool that you found enough to preserve. Happy canning.

:pirate: TR

#3 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:28 AM

Wow, thanks for the quick response! I only found two grams shy of a pound today while walking eight miles in bear country by myself. But I'm always on the prowl and hope to score some poundage this season. Seems like I'm more obsessed with chanties than cyan/baeo being in the PNW. Cream of chantie sounds delicious!!

#4 iamsmiley

iamsmiley

the ice woman

• Expired Member
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:27 AM

glad the bears didn't get you! when i worked at oyster farm a customer used to make awesome canned oysters.he was very secretive about his recipe but he used canola,garlic and hot peppers of some sort.they were great for spaghetti

#5 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 01:57 AM

Never saw a bear but there's big piles of scat everywhere, they are noshing on the blackberries that invade the clearcuts. Spice additives are already making my mouth water! Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to start. I'm going up into the backwoods again tomorrow. Last saturday I was driving back from hunting and I saw some dude was walking back to his truck with a pillowcase full of what I'm pretty sure were chanties (yellow tint shining through). And I saw an Asian couple heading down a logging road with buckets. Gotta be a boom season this year!! I should start a hunting thread in the other forum.....

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!