• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#1 lyqwyd

lyqwyd

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 658 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:39 PM

Buying a shotgun has crossed my mind a few times recently, especially with the long cross country drive I have coming up. I'm not a big gun fan, I don't hunt, and, in fact, I don't know shit about guns other than they go bang and kill things. I do know that shotguns don't need to be registered, but are they the best gun for small game hunting? should I get a small caliber rifle instead? I feel that I'd have to practice a lot more with one of those; I've shot a 12ga shottie a few times, got 10 out of 25 clays. I also feel that a shottie would offer more personal protection from would be assailants than a rifle. any input? reccommendations of brands/makes/models would be appreciated, pro's and con's of various designs/accessories/gun types as well. :laser: :johnny: :reb: :eusa_shif

#2 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:41 PM

Hmr .17 is an awesome rifle man. Shotguns are nice for protection but if you want a nice small cal rifle go with the hmr .17. Good luck.

#3 hogwild

hogwild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:43 PM

This is a test done with a .22 and the .17 hmr http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

#4 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:46 PM

i recently saw a double-barrel [side-by-side] 12 ga.
"coach" gun- short, like they used on stagecoaches
for $~275
pretty sweet gun,
stainless too
be nice for a car gun.
very simple, rugged and effective,
perfect for someone of little experience.
something like this-http://matrix.dumpsh...n/coachgun.html
or
http://www.ebang.com...itemnum=1079399

not for hunting furry varmints though,
just the two-legged variety.

#5 tobynutz

tobynutz

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:05 PM

are you looking for fun or home protection? if you are doing small game you will probably want either a .22 or a 17hmr like suggested above. a shotgun is fun especially if you like your small game to explode upon shooting it lol. i have a couple small .410 shotguns that are fun to shoot.

#6 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,541 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:54 PM

Ruger mini-14's are pretty popular in areas where they don't allow hunting rifles over .223 cal. NJ only allowed shotgun and .223 or smaller rifles last time I was there...20 years ago lol. A .22 pistol or rifle is good for varmints or small game and ammo is cheap so you can afford to get some practice with it.

#7 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,541 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:08 PM

As far as guns in cars go, unless you have a concealed permit most states require a gun to be unloaded and double locked, as in a gun case or trigger lock within a locked glove box or in the trunk. Kinda makes it useless for protection. You could run them over with your car easier.

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:10 PM

i'd rather
be judged by 12
than carried by 6.

#9 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,541 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:11 PM

I'm gonna have to check out one of those .17hmr's. I like small bore for plinking and target. Any idea how expensive the rounds are? Things look like a magnum .22 round or something :)

#10 malefacter

malefacter

:P

• Expired Member
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:26 PM

a 17 hmr is a 22 mag necked down to 17 which is the size of a pellet the rounds are about $7.00 - $9.00 depending on brand and where you get them Marlin makes a good rifle thats like $170.00 personally i prefer the 17 Rem i get more velocity and i can reload for les than a box of 17 hmr. for a good all around long distance gun that is reasonably priced the 223 rem is hard to beat.

well for small game that is

for self defense in the car a pistol is the ticket as a shotgun wold be hard to swing around but in the house a Mossberg 12 GA shotgun is hard to beat for and don't cost much use #6 shot its big enough to do good damage but stray shot wont kill your neighbor

#11 muffy

muffy

Political Prisoner

• Expired Member
  • 530 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:37 PM

just picked this up a few weeks ago
glock 9mm sub machine gun
33rd clip, (2) 17 rd clips
folds in half, and will fit in a briefcase
pretty nifty eh?

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0213.JPG
  • 100_0212.JPG

#12 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:40 PM

i could have sworn he said
that he preferred a
shotgun...

#13 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:42 PM

i'd rather
be judged by 12
than carried by 6.

Words to live by.

#14 muffy

muffy

Political Prisoner

• Expired Member
  • 530 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:46 PM

should I get a small caliber rifle instead?

reccommendations of brands/makes/models would be appreciated, pro's and con's of various designs/accessories/gun types as well.

just tryin to show em what other variety of small caliber rifles exist hip...:)

#15 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:49 PM

i understand
but so far
i'm the only one to directly address
the shotgun issue.
:lol:

#16 dbzeroone

dbzeroone

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:56 PM

I think you need to decide if you're going to hunt small game or protect yourself/home. Smaller shotguns are great for fowl and rabbits, but I've always hunted squirrels with a .22 and a partner. That was way back in the day...I don't hunt anymore... kinda lost interest in it.

If you're considering a shotgun for protection, I would recommend a 12 gauge pump with a pistol grip and a short barrel for a couple reasons:

1. The pump action is probably the most reliable action, next to doubles/over unders, but they only give you 2 shots.

2. The act of pumping a shotgun is a VERY intimidating sight and sound. When you pump and point, you have a shell in the chamber and the gun is cocked and you mean business. Should you ever have to defend yourself against an intruder, they would be absolutely insane to do anything but turn and run in that situation. Remember, it's better to end the situation without a shot fired.

3. With a semi-auto, after one shot goes off, the next is automatically ready to go. A pump has a bit more built in safety because you have to physically ready it for another shot. And despite what Charleton Heston may have you believe, one shot is PLENTY, particularly from a large bore shotgun. It's practically a fucking howitzer! Get a 12 and take it someplace safe and legal and see what kind of destructive power you wield with it.

Do lots of research to make a good purchasing decision and remember this above everything else: GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED - NEVER POINT IT AT ANYTHING UNLESS YOU INTEND TO KILL IT.

#17 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:58 PM

doubles/over unders, but they only give you 2 shots.

you only need one
if you hit your mark.
you pop off 19 rounds of 9mm at someone
and you're going to jail.
a gunfight is extremely fast and deadly,
large mags look cool
but in real world
you never get to use them
except for target shooting.
i'm just talking point blank self defense,
one shot, one kill.
here,
let's lighten the mood,
a nice saddlegun double barrel
http://mycotopia.net...23&d=1142989429

Attached Thumbnails

• PerfectEnding2.jpg

#18 dbzeroone

dbzeroone

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:03 PM

you only need one
if you hit your mark.
you pop off 19 rounds of 9mm at someone
and you're going to jail.
a gunfight is extremely fast and deadly,
large mags look cool
but in real world
you never get to use them
except for target shooting.

I couldn't agree more. And a 12 gauge makes it hard to miss if you're pointing in the general direction of your target (at close range).
Another problem with popping off 19 rounds is the possibility of hitting an innocent bystander... they may even be a block away!
Another thing that should be considered is the law regarding protecting property where you live. Some places strictly prohibit using deadly force to protect property. YOU could end up sharing a cell with your target! (figuratively speaking of course)

#19 lyqwyd

lyqwyd

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 658 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:21 PM

thanks fer the input.... yeah i think a 12 ga pump would be best fer my situation, mebbe a smaller ga. so i can shoot things and not turn them into confetti. If im huntin squirrel, id prolly just use a 22 air rifle. I like that glock, muffy. are those full or semi auto? problem with the coach gun is there's only two rounds, though that wouldn't really be an issue at close enough range. also, i couldn't do that nifty "spin and pump" trick from terminator....

#20 lyqwyd

lyqwyd

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 658 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:22 PM

she a friend of yours hip? i wouldnt mind her giving me a few shooting lessons...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!