• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 sgt. rock

sgt. rock

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 04:21 AM

I have tied the honey tek a couple times but when I take the /2 pint jars outa the PC the day after PC'ing em' (30 minutes at 15 psi) there is a light gold colred precipitate/sediment (its not sediment lying on the bottom of the jar like you would expect if the sugars settled to the bottom but it looks almost like mycelium starting to form exept its light gold in color (little wisps/puffs of a light golden substsnce floating/suspended mostly in the upper 2/3 of the jar) I know its either the sugars or somehing in the honey crystalizing/prciptating out,what makes the sugars crystalize? to much heat? (THATS WHAT YOU think it probably is,right?) hOW *dam caps lock!
How can i preventit? reduce PC time to 20 minutes?
WOULD REDUCING THE PSI make a differenc?
Use less honey? HELP! birdbeasoup

#2 Guest_pissybee_*

Guest_pissybee_*

Posted 13 May 2005 - 07:42 AM

PC 10-20 mins instead, takes a lil tweaking with your PC... BTW, that is called carmelization, when the sugars do that...

#3 sgt. rock

sgt. rock

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 08:37 AM

PC 10-20 mins instead, takes a lil tweaking with your PC... BTW, that is called carmelization, when the sugars do that...

Thanks' Ill' try 10 min.
*for 1/2 pint (or 1 cup) of water its 1 teaspoon honey,right? Last question,I swear:Can I just tape the needle hole in the lid with electrical tape like ive' been doing?or should i use medical tape to allow air exchange?
...yeah,Im'still up.

#4 Guest_pissybee_*

Guest_pissybee_*

Posted 13 May 2005 - 09:05 AM

I hear even less is okay for honey... but no more... and non breathable tape is fine, the stuff doesn't need to breathe, although I did use tyvek over the lid with a hole before, but it shouldn't be necessary...

#5 a420kid

a420kid

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 10:50 AM

i dont know if im right so someone please confirm this cant you substitute (sp) Dextrose or corn sugar for the honey

#6 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 13 May 2005 - 10:54 AM

Karo works, as does dextrose.

I use 5 psi for fifteen minutes.
RR

#7 Guest_unclefester_*

Guest_unclefester_*

Posted 13 May 2005 - 10:56 AM

For Honey Liquid culture - 1tsp.(10g aaprox) Honey to 1 Cup(250ml) water
For Malt/Dextrose Liquid culture - 1tb.(10g) Dry Malt or Dextrose to 1 Cup(250ml) water

I forgot where I got that, but still there ya go.

#8 bipolar

bipolar

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:25 AM

I'm going to try with raw sugar (unprocessed cane sugar) in liquid culture tek. I've used it instead of dextrose and potato flakes (instant mashed ) for my agar solution and it has worked good.

#9 sgt. rock

sgt. rock

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 05:14 PM

I hear even less is okay for honey... but no more... and non breathable tape is fine, the stuff doesn't need to breathe, although I did use tyvek over the lid with a hole before, but it shouldn't be necessary...

Thanks',Ill' try a couple drops less than 1 teaspoon rather than 1 teaspoon + a few drops extra like I did before and Ill' PC em' for 10 minutes rather than 30.
I think youve' got me dialed in perfectly now,Ill' try another honey tek today and should know by tomorow. ...realy,THANKS!
...and Im' STILL UP (2 1/2 days so far)

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 05:22 PM

honey is a 'natural' product
made by bees
there are always a few impurities
notably wax
in it but no big deal.
honey is yellow too
so that color doesn't always mean camelization.
really there's no need to use pressure either,
simply boiling 15 minutes is plenty.

#11 sgt. rock

sgt. rock

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 07:11 PM

For Honey Liquid culture - 1tsp.(10g aaprox) Honey to 1 Cup(250ml) water
For Malt/Dextrose Liquid culture - 1tb.(10g) Dry Malt or Dextrose to 1 Cup(250ml) water

I forgot where I got that, but still there ya go.

Thats what I needed,an exact recipe.Thanks'

#12 SporesMan

SporesMan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:30 PM

I started a honey solution 24 hours ago. I already see thin strands of cloudy like material accumulating at the bottom of the 1 pint jar. However, this is my first time trying the honey tek and have not had any successfull results due to some bacteria I got circulating which I have not yet found the cause or the solution to the problem. Here is a picture of a 1 Pint Jar I just started and one which was started 24hours ago. Is this normal? this much growth in only 24 hours? also should I see clear honey water at the top and the accumulation completely at the bottom or is upper part contamination? I know the best way to see if its contaminated is to innoculate a Brown Rice Flower cake.
:confused:

Attached Thumbnails

• jar2.JPG
  • jar3.JPG
  • Jar1.JPG
  • 2 Jars.JPG

#13 sandman

sandman

Lil Skeeter

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,738 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:53 PM

that one on the right in the first pic looks cloudy and probably contammed.

i cant really see any growth in the pics.....the third pic i see what looks like sediment or something. I dont think growth in 24 hours is expected or normal for Multi Spore, more like 2-3 days at the earliest. Maybe your syringe had some spores that were already germinated

The only way I succed with LC is to make like 7 at a time, and you can always tell which one is working and which isnt

#14 maynardsdick

maynardsdick

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:57 PM

you shouldnt see any growth after only 24hrs. the wispy stuff you see is caramelized honey. i've seen it in my liquid cultures. you suck up a syringe full and sniff the bastard or innoculate a cake to verify but i really wouldnt do this until you give it some more time, like 3-5 days.

#15 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 07:39 PM

I stick to the microwave karo tek, works like a charm everytime...

the jars do look carmalized though

#16 highflyer

highflyer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 11:42 PM

you shouldnt see any growth after only 24hrs. the wispy stuff you see is caramelized honey. i've seen it in my liquid cultures. you suck up a syringe full and sniff the bastard or innoculate a cake to verify but i really wouldnt do this until you give it some more time, like 3-5 days.

You will not see any mycelial growth nor any contaminant growth in 24 hrs.

#17 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 06:17 AM

ahem
honey is a 'natural' product made by bees
and so it is perfectly normal for it to contain
various impurities including wax.
so some sediment is to be expected,
and since honey is yellow that color is also normal.
however
the cloudiness of the water is not normal,
and you likely have severe bacterial contams,
the jar more than likely never got fully sterilized
to show that much activity so soon.

#18 maidenofiron

maidenofiron

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 217 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 05:00 PM

Ive done the honey tek 4 times now and each time there seems to be very little growth and then it completely stalls/stops. I was wondering what variables should i be adjusting? does adding more honey increase growth? I use polyfil and keep my jars at around 85 degrees in a mini fridge. what about air exchange? since i keep all my BRF jars and honey tek jars in a mini fridge for incubation they dont get any air circulation. Its been a long time since i grew last, and i guess i forgot if during incubation they need fresh air.... is this where im going wrong?

#19 SporesMan

SporesMan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 05:05 PM

I am on attempt number 10+ right now. But I can say that it is defenetely working. I also had problems at first. Start at least 6 cultures at a time. dont use more than 10% honey per water. I found that 4-6% is defenetly apropriate. Multispore so far has worked slower than mycelial tissue. It takes at least 3-4 days to see any kind of growth. You can always tell if your mixture contaminates because it all turns cloudy quick and appears to fill in within 24-48 hours. Presure cook the liquid culture and heat up the tip of the niddle with flame as standard procedure. All I can tell you is keep trying because its worth it.

#20 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:02 AM

All you are looking for with the honey tek is spore germination and "some" mycellial growth. Don't expect the whole jar to fill up with a really thick mycellial mat. If you notice germination and some growth there is plenty there to work with.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!