how do you prep the jars ?
how do you inoculate and with what ?

#22 chefpjb1

chefpjb1

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 10:23 PM

I've also tried the H.Tech. I changed over to the Caro Tech. I Love it. I use 1Tbs to 250ml of water. The solution is then put in first step baby food jars and pressure cooked for 25 min. I have only had like 4 jars contam on me the past year. I had many successes with the Tech.

#23 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 10:47 PM

use 4mills of honey per 96mills of water. That seems to be the best ratio i've seen for honey cultures on the web. PC the contents for 25 minutes @ 5psi (5) or steam sterilize it for 40 minutes as well. A light, soft steam is fine for all cultures. Simmer setting (1.5-2 out of 10) on most stoves....

Attached Thumbnails

• vanillaextractA.jpg
  • vanillaextractB.jpg
  • ve2.jpg

#24 obscured by clouds

obscured by clouds

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 12:45 AM

I have been playing with Karo tek my self....

but read that all HONEY is not necessarily the same.....

What kind are you using :rasta:

#25 mullugh

mullugh

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:05 PM

I am starting on the LC thing and I await results of my first LC experiment...I was being hasty so I simply added a small tea spoon of honey to some boiling water and let it cool. The jar has a tiny breathing hole and in incubation with 2cc's of F+ spores...

How do you rate my chances folks??

I will soon be getting back into agar and I feel as though I need to make my own glove box!!! need to get motivated! any easy and cheap options?

thanks in advance

#26 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:25 PM

decent.
see gloveboxs

#27 jestah

jestah

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:53 PM

Make one sooo worth it!

My pet lemur digs hers. She made a fancy one with fan and hepa filter but finds it was a waste of time and cash.... she now using it with the fan off. Just still air works and don’t have any contams being blown around your work space. If she was to remake she would ditch all the fans etc and spend the saved cash on decent gloves and silicone sealant for around the glove flanges and window. She also digs having the racks as the keep your work of the deck and gives you a dumping space....

Any ideas for good gloves? My lemur like being tactile with the hands and able to move freely... tyvke sleves and latex glove???

good luck
jestah

Attached Thumbnails

• GloveboxHepa.jpg
  • Gloveboxfront.jpg
  • Gloveboxback.jpg

#28 mullugh

mullugh

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 350 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 03:18 AM

thank your pet lemur for me

#29 Guest_GodsFlesh_*

Guest_GodsFlesh_*

Posted 23 March 2006 - 03:25 AM

You can use dryer vent hose and attach gloves to that..............

#30 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:01 AM

those long rubber gloves used for dishwashing serve my purposes

#31 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:38 AM

If attached gloves bother you like they do me try no gloves at all. You need to use regular latex gloves on your hands but I have found an open hole gb works great. All I am looking for with a gb is still air.

#32 jestah

jestah

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 10:33 PM

My pet lemur might try getting rid of the gloves getting some latex and put the fan back on.... She might also try leaving an open Petri in the box and let it run for an hour or so and see if anything grows as a test?

Thanks for the advice

#33 beebopboy

beebopboy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 03:51 PM

Hello fellow hobbyists,

this season I've made a few(5) honey water jars (1-2 tbs honey : 1 pint h2o) using multispore innocs of PE and EQ. So far not much has come of the honey water jars, the only growth I've gotten in the jars has been very scattered and loose, almost nothing. However grain jars I made with the same spores have thrived in the same conditions.

It got me to wondering, should I shake up the honey jars to get more O2 into the water? Ive done honey jars in the past with tissue and they've worked great but perhaps spores just dont have the strength to start up a colony without more suitable conditions.

Just a thought.

Does anyone think this is likey?

#34 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 04:03 PM

sure, just be sure your lid set up doesn't mind water,
tyvek or polyfil getting wet is a no-no.
i use silicon ports so i shake mine daily for aeration.

#35 beebopboy

beebopboy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 04:11 PM

:cool:

I was thinking of covering the jars with plastic rap (after nuking ofcourse) and then putting a lid with 4 polyfilled holes on top Secure the lid, give a nice shake, innoc through the polyfil and through the plastic rap and there we go.

Seem do able?

I dono if the plastic rap might leak or anything. :shy:

Any take on it?

#36 beebopboy

beebopboy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 04:13 PM

Oh, do you think daily or occasional shaking is required?

In that case I might try to get my hands on some of that silicon paste or whatever.

#37 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 04:43 PM

once the needle pierces your plastic wrap
you'll have wet polyfil
even worse it's got honey in it.
so, no. bad idea.
but growth is faster with some air
so i use silicon adhesive with is water-proof,
self-sealing too.

#38 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 April 2006 - 07:18 PM

There is no real need for vents of any kind with an LC jar. Just start with a pint and leave 2-3 inches of it empty. Plenty of oxygen to complete colonization will remain in that air space.

Shake it up VIOLENTLY right after coming from the PC. The PC process will drive virtually all the oxygen out of the liquid.

Once it starts colonizing, the more often you shake it, the faster it will go. Bluehelix has demonstrated liquid cultures finishing in 3 days with constant mechanical stirring. FOAF prefers to swirl, instead of shaking, after growth is visible. Others have differing opinions.

#39 eternalfrost

eternalfrost

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 811 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 04:20 PM

Well my friend should be getting a spore print soon and will have lots of spores to expiriment with. he has read Hip's 'LC Basics' thread and saw that it mentions 'organic honey'. He wants to know if generic pure honey from the grocery store will work.

If pure honey wont work, he would like to know where to find the other nutes mentioned as he has never seen them before. and what would be easiest and most foolproof to try for his first time

" Karo Light with Vanilla
Organic Honey
Glucose
Corn sugar
Light malt extract
Dextrose"

#40 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2006 - 04:29 PM

Karo syrup can be found at virtually any grocery store. It will be with the baking stuff (flour, chocolate chips, etc).

You don't want light, though. Just regular Karo.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!