• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Man of Knowledge

Man of Knowledge

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 732 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 06:08 PM

Okay, I first really want to note that per se, I am not really a qualified cultivated who uses elaborate equiptment and lab accessories, perlite, humidifiers, pressure cookers, air flow vents, trays (occasionally), mason jars, hoses, tents, casings such as sphaghum moss, hickory shells, crushed oyster shells, gold flakes etc.

I have not grown any shrooms in jars since 1978.
However, over the yers aI have learned methods and help support a few friends who process a growing medium known as Kowanite, a hand queezed pasturized compost shoveld into pickup trucks and brought up north to Seattle from ORegon on a weekly basis.

Eventually, The Kowanite ended up with Clyde of the Dung brothers and then was later resold to a company that produced the method and mixtures used in the Kowanite for growing edible shrooms only. actually, they sold it but only if the buy did not mention that they wanted it for something other than magic shrooms.

A strain of mushroom is a developed clone from a large pinner that usually fruited in a petri plate and was regrowin in a similar manner until a large pinner was eventually processed into a plastic bag of presterilized rye berry seed and after 7-10 days of vompletely permeating the seed, the mycelia was then transferred either into a mycobag, using two air patch filters of either 5 or 10 pounds of compost. Other methods also used for growing these developed strains omc;uded a terrarium with a fish tank hater, a sheet of glass where a one gallon bottle of water was separated from the compost by a sheet and a temperature was controlled by a thermometer.and a clas top on the Aquarium. These same miced mycobags could also be pourned into a terrarium after cleaning the terrarium in cold water with a brush, bleach and very cold water for rinse, and then hand dried with paper towels and kept in a plastic bag until ready for use.

No glove box was necessary. a mouth guard used for covering your breathing kept germs and bacteria from infecting your agar innoculation. Rubber gloves kept the same away. Always open the petri plate away from your face. In this manner of growing, everything is very sterile. You can use a double broiler for the presterilization of the bags of ryeberry seed, usually weighing about one pound of seed for a 5-10 pound mycobag of compost.

I want to mention that the Allen Strain was not of my creation but that of Roadkill at the shroomery in my honor for my years of contributions to the world of ethnomycology.

Some Shroomery Members and a few other sites where I am not liked have made rude comments like, "Oh that stupid Pink Buffalo strain. John gopes into a field where there is a Pink buffalo and makes a print and then it is a strain." well that is not how I developed that strain. There are few barb wired areas in Southeast Asia. Foreign tourists marry Thai or Asia women, however, in Thailand, no foreigner can own land in that country. So any married foreigner to a Thai has to put the property in her name. Usually after a few years, for many couples, culture shock becomes active and the tourist returns to his parent country and the wife ends up with the land. So this was a four squared rice paddie with a single Pink Buffalo locked in by BarbWire.So that strain was developed into a fast colonizer.

Many people in Florida and in Texas go pick a hundred or so cubes, not always healthy cubes from their posted images, make prints and give them local names for their shrooms,then sellt the prints as a specific Texas Strainand that is not really a strain but a cube form a specific area that no one developed into a culture pinner in agar and produced a specific type of cube.

As you will see below, I will posted a few dozen images of species I have grown in Aquariums, Terrariums and in mycobags. I have also seen here, a few posts of the giant Cambodian Angkor Wat shrooms similar and probably from my original Cambo's..

Below is a list of some of the strains and comments written by someone else on the Internet on various strains, including cultivations by others. I will post their comments about some of my strains, they used from ******** and other sites to put their cube strain list together and it is a good start, and some of the strains, even I never heard of.

Also one finally note before I begin. Hawaiian strain of cube. No cubes grow naturally in Hawaii. People for years, including Terence McKenna, as well as myself have fed sporulated apples to horses, cattle, buffalo (American) and salted feed bins for cows with sprayed spores and on a few occasions, in Feb we sprayed and in mid may, we found a few paddies with some cubes, but over the following days and weeks, leading into months, and eventually year after year, no cubes ever regrew or spread to other areas. Many in Europe and the Northeast of USA and arizona and New Mexico, Ohio, as reported by Stamets, grew azures for a season and maybe a season and a half and then the shrooms never returned. Gartz made several dozen garden and park projects of azures from mycelia we gathered in Oregon in 1990 and he planted and they grew, but something changed their common characteristic features that belong to the Azurescens look and were slightly different maceroscopically that those that grow naturally outdoors in the PNW. And then, they too never returned in his patches and never spread into other areas. Like the Dutch who sprayed trillions of spores all over the Nederland on ground for the news press and later in the day flew by helicopter spraying with those large water guns, spores from low flying over pasturelands in the Nederlands from Ultricth to Rotterdam and around pasturelands north and south and west of amsterdam and no shrooms ever grew.

SO I will start this pictorial in the next post below of the text from a third party of others words on the growth of various strains, only choosing certain strains of mine in his list, but not all the strains of mine listed.

Man of knowledge.

It will be a little hard as so many strains of mine have produces from 1 flush to several that grew up to 7-10 flushes, although a 6 flush was intense and then the 7-10 was one or two shrooms or more every three to five days.

Be patient on this thread as I will pick certain one to three or four images from various days or flushes to exemplify those images that I consider fly.
  • mr. brown, teesus and Soulocybin like this

#2 Man of Knowledge

Man of Knowledge

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 732 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:50 PM

Psilocybe cubensis - Strain Guide

The Truth About Different Types of Cubes:

Most cubes look alike.
All cubes grow in the same conditions.
The differences between cube races, varieties or 'Strains' are, more often than not, minute.
Some races are known for fast colonization, or large fruits... even high potency.
BUT... these 'Facts' are often just vendor hype.
Your results will most likely vary.

The Truth About Cube Potency:

If you want something that is very potent, you should probably try a different species and avoid cubes all together... either that, or eat more cubes. Agar will potentially allow you to select a more potent sub-strain. A few cube races and varieties are reported as being more potent than others... but there is no scientific evidence to strengthen the potency argument. Everybody wants the answer to this question... but all we have is opinion. Most people agree there are differences in potency from one type of cubensis to another... but they seldom agree on which cube is the most (or least) potent.

The Truth About The Fastest Growing Cubes:
Some cube races and varieties are known to grow at a faster or slower rate, on average, than others. There is evidence which suggests the fastest cubensis races produce the smallest mushrooms and the slower races and varieties produce the most bulky fungus. Ultimately it all seems to even out in the end (with a few exceptions). Also, the slow cubes more frequently display unique macroscopic characteristics (in other words, they are more likely to look noticeably different from other races) while the fast ones usually look like average (or smaller than average) cubes. It tends to take more time to grow a large or unique cube. If you are looking for a cube which produces a LOT of quick bulk, you may be looking for a long time... and you'd better work with agar.

The Truth About Bulk:

Race, variety or 'Strain' has little to do with bulk. With some work, any viable cube print should produce good flushes. Good isolation on agar, and good fruiting conditions are the only proven ways to get consistently bulky flushes. There are no quick and easy solutions. If you want bulk, first you are going to need diligent patience.

The Truth About Selecting Your Spores:

The thing that distinguishes most races, varieties or 'strains' is where they originated and who collected the first specimen. If you are interested in Tasmania, try some Tasmanian spores. If you like the story of how SG30 was resurrected by Shdwstr, try SG30. If you think Penis Envy looks fun, try it. They are all cubes. Pick one that interests you, and see if you like working with it.

The Truth About Multispore vs. Strain Isolation:
Agar allows you to work specifically with your spores but it costs more money and takes much more time. However, proper agar work will give you consistency from one grow to the next.

Multispore inoculation is a turkey shoot. You never know what you are going to get. Mother nature is unpredictable. If you intend to use multispore, it is suggested you work with a classic and/or popular cube variety. Cubes that have been popular for 10 or more years tend to be popular for a reason, and their genetics have probably been limited (in a good way) by being selectively bred over and over again... generation after generation. You are more likely to see consistent results via multispore, if you use a proven race.

There are possible errors.. PM me if you wish a correction.

B+

B+
The B+ origins have become a thing of legend. B+ is a classic cube and has been one of the most popular commercial cubes in history. It is very domesticated, and a good candidate, if you plan to use multispore.

Nobody knows exactly where the cube which became B+ came from.

Mr G... who, "Created" B+ swears it is a Psilocybe cubensis/azurescens hybrid... MOST people disagree with this statement... and chalk it up as a marketing ploy. Nobody has been able to prove the B+ is an Azure hybrid. It would be rather miraculous if Mr. G. succeeded. It is safe to say his claims are BEYOND belief.

There no evidence to suggest cubes and azures could be crossed in this way. Although, some people say the caps of B+ resemble the cap of an Azure... and there are a few reports suggesting B+ spores may share some Azure traits as well. This is likely just wishful thinking.

B+ is known for its LARGE fruits. You will likely need a well hydrated cake/casing/tub to get the most out of B+... otherwise the shrooms may not reach their full potential.

B+ can be SLOWER growing than many other brand name cubes (but like EVERY cube, your experience may vary). B+ has been commonly known as a good choice for BEGINNING cultivators. Many believe B+ is very forgiving and can grow in a wide range of temperatures and conditions.

To further the B+ mystery, for a time, Sporeworks accidentally sold a different strain (the prime suspect is PES Amazonian) under the B+ label. This mistake has since been corrected, but there may be several different 'strains' floating around the trade community under the name B+. This may explain why there is so much discrepancy in descriptions of B+ grows, including reports of hollow stems, varied colonization/growth times and fluctuations in potency.

Speaking of potency, there are a surprising amount of reports of "Dud" batches of B+ (ie: not very potent). While most people swear by the potency of B+, there are many who think it is rather tame (at least, occasionally). Don't worry too much about potency. B+ was recently voted the most popular cube so it must do something right.

Many say the B+ puts out good initial flushes, followed by smaller flushes of larger fruits.

[ Note from Man of Knowledge about Mr. G.]

[quote]
Now I have grown B+, I have personally been atacked about my comments regarding Mr. G's lack of knowledge about shrooms in general and his fairy tale story of how Copelandia tropicalis came Florida on Pineapple slips from sunken Spanish Treasure ships. The truth is that Pineapples are from Paraguay and Brazil. Not Hawaii and were used by the Spanish to combat scurvy. The Spanish treasure ships were all in the Caribbean, Mexico, Central and South America.

The Copes came to Hawaii brought by cattle from the Philippines by Capt George Vancouver in the late 1800s. Mr. G. was full of it with his story, even the fact he did not know that Pineapples were from South America. Only Dole Canned pineapples were shipped from Hawaii to the USA, St. Martins, Florida became the pineapple capital of America in the late 1800 and around 1885, the train form Florida north to the capitol carried the pineappes to the NE USA.

My B+ Plus of which I grew about 4 ifferent times so these images will represent some of the four different fruitings during different years.
[/quote]

Ban Hua Thanon

Ban Hua Thanon (a.k.a. BHT)
According to Mushroom John Allen, aka mjshroomer:

"This is the original shroom from which all Koh Samui Ban Hua Thann shrooms orginated rom.

The first shroom I obtained three prints from. It was collected in the same field as the P. samuiensis. IT was then grown indoors in Europe and prints were obtained and sent to me.

And so I present these prints for your pleasure and enjoyment.

Here is a picture of the original mushroom involved."

Ban Phang Ka (a.k.a. BPK)
Discovered in Thailand by Mushroom John Allen. Reports by Ralphster of large fruits. This is from the west coast of Koh samui south of the Elephant Gate Wat.

Ban Thurian (a.k.a. BT)
Discovered in Thailand by Mushroom John Allen.

[Note from Man of Knowledge]
[quote]
This species is actually known as the Ban Thurian Master Blasters and were from sturdy healthy cubes that were solid with thick caps and stems and grew on my friends farm along with two varieties of Copelandia species. I want to show some of the actual fresh specimens I collect on this particular farm, usually every shroom that grows is similar in structure and appearance as what I am posting. This farm spreadds and collects manure heaps, spreads them and sells the powdered manure in 50 pound burlap sacks to markets for fertilizers. Then grass grows in these powdered left over areas, All farmers and cattle tenders who have buffalo generally also pile manure around the bases of coconut trees. Other mushrooms including reeshi Macrocybe and termitimyces and Lepiota procura and otheredibles grow in these farm lands and rice paddie areas with enclosed jungle areas where "Chao Samui" (Samui Folk) live in stilted homes or coconut bamboo thatched rooffed shelters.
[/quote]

Burma (a.k.a. Burmese Yangoon)
According to Workman, "Original specimen was collected from buffalo dung in an unplanted rice paddie outside the city of Yangoon, Burma. Original collection supplied via Mushroom John by way of a gift from a Thai student who spent time collecting mushroom samples around Yangoon (formaly Rangoon), Burma (now Myanmar)"

Cambodian (a.k.a. Cambo)
Cambos are classic cubes.

Rumors of Cambos potency and aggressive colonization abound. Cambos are quite popular among many cultivators.

According to Ryche Hawk from www.the********.com Cambos are, "A very nice and fast growing cubensis from Cambodia. This cubensis was originally picked by John Allen while in Cambodia filming some of the psilocybe mushrooms that grow naturally throughout a lot of the country."

[quote]
This is actually the cube train also referred to as the Angkor Wat Strain, and has been posted here cultivated by mycotopians other than I with stems up to 12-16 inches or longer and caps from four to five inches in diameter. One batch I grew gave a first flush in 13 days. This is a great shroom and recently I gave a 5 inch print to Hale at ********** site.
[/quote]

Ecuador (a.k.a. EQ)
The Ecuador cube is quite popular. It, along with B+, are perhaps the most popular commercial cubes ever. EQ is a classic cube. It is very domesticated, and therefore a good candidate if you plan to use multispore.

The original EQ specimin was originally collected in the mountains of Ecuador by B.I.O. According to B.I.O. himself, stated back in the year in 2000:

"i brought this beautiful EQ strain 10 years ago from ecuador also one down from the amazonas.....the EQ mountain strain i collected in northern ecuador close to otavalo at 10.000 ft altitude....it was growing at temps around 70 F and its a slow colonizer....but a shaman told me that the mountainshrooms a clearer and stronger....
BiO."

EQ's can grow to be quite large, a common trait among many South American cubes. The caps can be quite huge with very dark prints.

While not the fastest growing cube, the EQ makes up for it with its impressive flushes. There is little about the EQ to make it look different from other cubes. It is an average looking cube which often produces larger than average fruits. According to Workman, the EQ is slightly easier to pick than most cubes since the fruits don't cling to the substrate.

For many years, EQ was known as a good cube for beginners, although any cube is a good cube for beginners.

The Yosterizii cube is simply a renamed version of the EQ produced from a supposedly prolific EQ substrain.

[quote]
I have grown the Ecuadorians on five occasions. I wish to point out that according to my personal research with University Herbariums in Ecuador, all specimens that have been deposited over the years were identified profeshionally by mycologists as Psilocybe subcubensis. Something minor that most sellers or growers never mention. It is possible that P. cubensis do grow in Ecuador, however, it is like most plant stores that sell San Pedro actually do not know their Latin name or even which of the 13 or so active Trichs are that they are selling. Similar to the Controversial Mr. G who had some of the most rediculous stories he spread to help him sell his prints which many praised. And of course, there is no B+/Azure mixed cube. And by the way, Azures are closer to P. semilanceata than they are to p. cyanescens.

Also, Yoster personally sent me a collection of half inch spore prints on cut paper from a full print and a few culture tubes of his strain. they produced real small specimens so I did not try to improve on the strain.
[/quote]

Elephant Dung
This is another Thai cube credited to John Allen.

From www.ralphstersspores.com

"The Elephant Dung shrooms came from three prints collected from one shroom and a few other prints which are on deposit at Chulalongkorn university in Bangkok.” - John Allen

[quote]
I want to note to all that the elephant dung strain originated from a single specimen found growing naturally in elephant dung that was collected and covered with Palm fronds to ward off parasites that get onto human skin and control smell. I posted the photos of my chest with the friggin red streaked parasites attacking my stomach. The salve had to be specially prepared and purchased by a Seattle pharmacy from 4 companies in LA and then shipped to Seattle where a 5th element was added to the salve. Cost me close to $90 dollars to get rid of that parasite. Also later had another variety on my feet, and also on several occasions in wet rice paddies walking between wet and dry i was attacked by leaches that I was unaware were sucking my blood. I also posted images of that here but will not get into them..

Numerous vendors advertised the original Elephant Dung shrooms as being grown in Elephant Dung. I have never grown them in Elephant Dung, only Buffalo dung and rice paddie straw, as well as in horse manure with compost.

Interestingly on a 6th or 7th flush of my first grow in Thailand, One photograph of the cube species produced an image of a collection of the strain that looked exactly like an elephant head, eye and trunk. I will post both of those images here. That was another cult job that produced about 8 flushes on the first growth over a 100 day period.
[/quote]

Elephant Gate
This is an elusive cube, if you find a print you are among a select few.

According to Roadkill and mjshroomer, John Allen found the original specimen at a monastery near the Elephant Gate in Samui Thailand. Roadkill used the print to find a good isolate and has given out a handful of prints to other mycologists.

[quote]
Personally I havenot grown this species but roadkill produced a good crop for a while and others had success and some did not.
[/quote]

Hanoi Vietnam
Mushroom John Allen discovered this cube in Vietnam, he reports extreme blue staining and potentially high potency.

[Note from Man of knowledge]
[quote]
I personally accidentally deleted the folder in bleach in my recycle bin and lost the cultivated images of this strain. I did have a parcel of spores but cannot recall who they went to.
[/quote]

Koh Samui and Koh Samui Super Strain (a.k.a. KS and KSSS)
Koh Samui was discovered by Mushroom John Allen. It is known to produce fatass (short but fat) cubes.

According to www.the********.com

"Another great psilocybe mushroom brought to us by Enthomycologist John Allen from his travels through Thailand. This beauty was picked in the town of Hua Thanon on the island of Koh Samui."

Koh Samui is known for shorter than average fruits with meaty stems that are noticeably wider on the bottom than at the top. For its height, Koh Samui can have unusually large caps but Koh Samui from time to time, puts out some surprisingly normal looking fruits. Pins commonly have red tops with white spots. The caps turn red-brown with maturity.

Koh Samui Super Strain came from a prolific Koh Samui isolate. There is much debate over weather KSSS is actually a, "Super Strain". Some people swear by it, some long for the original. Some think it is less varied in appearance than the original. Your results may vary. KSSS is likely just a more domesticated version of Koh Samui, so if you plan to use multispore, try the Super Strain, and if you work with agar, stick with the original.

Many people are found of Koh Samui. It is usually easy to spot from picture alone. It is a great addition to any collection.

[quote]
Not sure of wheremy photos are of this strain. Will see if I have any to post.
[/quote]

Malaysian
Collected by Mushroom John Allen. According to Ralphster, this cube can frequently mutate.

[quote]
This is another that produced large four to five inch in diameter caps and came from Ator Selar, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia near Penang Island on Mainland Kuala Lumpur. Not sure if I have these available at the moment to post.

In the next thread I will list the species from my files that i will post images of that I grew.
[/quote]
[FONT=Verdana]

[FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]
[quote]
[COLOR=white]For some reason, the author of the above comments of strains stopped his report with a section on me explaining where the Matias Romero Pollock strain came from.

[COLOR=#ffffff]He also left out the Orissa, India, the ones i produced that grew two specimens of 23 inches in height and with dour and a half to five inch caps.

[COLOR=#ffffff]

[COLOR=#ffffff]And also my Tak Mountain cubes, and the South African Transkei strains I grew that both produced cubensis with wavy caps.

[COLOR=#ffffff]

[COLOR=#ffffff]He also forgot tomention a few other strains in his list that I broght to American and Hawaii that I created or developed, I am assuming he just never finnished his list of strains. I was told there is a post at the Shromery with the title, are there any strains of cubes not found by John Allen, also with some rude comments about me. So here is a list in no particular order of what strains of cubes that originated with me became a mainstay on many shroom vendors around the world, including some that were mass produced in the Nederland and some that I created and then were improved by my friends in European countries and returned to me for further development and sales.

The Shit, The Flies, The Spores, The Shrooms and the Ants

The New BNN strain: A cool Cloned shroom from the original Ban Nathon strain.

Cool pictorial of several growths of the B+ strain.

The World's Largest Legal Mushroom Farm in Holland.

Some Penis Envy Grown On Kowanite

The Ban Phang Ka Cube In Kowanite

The Tak Mountain Cube From Tak, Central, Thailand

The Ban Lipa Yai Strain from Koh Samui

From The Fabulous Rice Paddies Of Ban Hua Thanon, Koh Samui.

From The Montane Regions Of Ecuador, South America: Psilocybe subcubensis.

From The Sacred Grounds Of The MonasAry Of Ban Nathon, Koh Samui.

From South Africa: The Mighty Transkei Psilocybe cubensis - Robust Bodies And Golden Wavy Caps..

A complete step-by-step pictorial of Psilocybe cubensis
from a sporeprint collected in elephant dung
near Na Muang, Koh Samui.

A series of photo images of Copelandia tropicalis at Kualoa Ranch on Oahu Island in Hawaii.
These mushrooms were found fruiting naturaly in one day old manure over a 21-day period.

Some cool images of 22-22" inch tall Orissa, India cultivated mushrooms.

I also wish to post some images below of the non-hallucinogenic species, Psilocybe pegleriana that grew like lleana vines with 20 inch stems that were intertwined like vines up a wall.

This one I will post below later. I thought it would be easier to let you go to the pages and see all of these fantastic images as they grew in the order of their growth

And also some images of the non-hallucinogenic Panaeolus sphinctrinus, now renamed as Panaeolus papilionaceus. But there is confusion between this species original taxonomic Identification with that of Copelandia papilionacea (Copelandia cyanescens. I am working on that.

Since I am pretty tired and it is my birthday, I will post the Pegleriana cultivation tomorrow and the Panaeolus sphinctrinus (papilionaceus).

thanks for the time in reading this

A few last words. I have a 160 page article with over 150 photos of cult of p. antioquensis from Cambodia and Samuiensis, and other species including the Cuphanburi Goliath and P. mexicana all by Workman who contributed greatly to my unpublished 24-year follow-up to all of my studies with the University in Bangkok, plus shrooms I cultivated, and SEM photography, DNA sequencing of which Alan Rockerfeller already verified some of my results from the DNA bank, chemistry of numerous species with comparative analysis to related species from Mexico, and new species and photos I cannot post here or anywhere. It may be in issue 9 of my journal, Ethnomycological Journals: Sacred Mushroom Studies vol. 9 (fouor unpublished papers over 224 pages and lavishly illustrated with beautiful photography by me, Workman, and others.

Man of Knowledge/

I hope the links work, otherwise I will have to post the url's separately

Well tomorrow or Sunday I will have to put in each URL separately as they are not working.

Edited by Man of Knowledge, 08 October 2010 - 07:58 PM.

• Stryker636, sccashmoney and Soulocybin like this

#3 Stryker636

Stryker636

Maker of Beautiful Tones

• Expired Member
  • 208 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:04 PM

Very interesting and helpful info!! Thanks!! And the links did not work for me :/ But it was a very interesting and exciting read!!!!

#4 Man of Knowledge

Man of Knowledge

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 732 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 05:12 AM

Very interesting and helpful info!! Thanks!! And the links did not work for me :/ But it was a very interesting and exciting read!!!!

Well I thought I would still be able to post the url's and again the time has rund out on me. I love trhis site but sometimes I am slow with age and canot get right back to the screen adfter too much time on it.

It was 6:08 pm when I posted the first thead and 7:50 Pm when I posted the 2nd thread. It is now 2:57 am in the morn, less than 8 hours altogether and I thought the edit button would still allow me to finish my task as I was having trouble getting the URL to work.

Now when I post this list to post the URL's under each strain, the posting of the list will add all the script fomthe page and I will have to spend a half hour delelting the tags for colors and fonts.

That is a lot of time to me when i have so little to spare as I am working so hard to put in order the other 170 photos to part four of my magic shroom guide library thread here at mycotopia.

So I want to finish this. I am working on creating the two PDF Files for Magic Mushrooms of the Pacific Northwest and Magic Mushrooms of the Hawaiian Islands Deluxe editions for Erowid who will post them as separate pages from my 300 DPI versions that are slightly expanded with all color instead of just a colored centerfold of 12 images. So in those 48 to 60 page booklets, viewers will get expanded versions since I have now made the color editions out of print. I am printing no more of my guide which has sold over 103,000 copies since June-July of 1976.

The New BNN strain : A cool Cloned shroom from the original Ban Nathon strain.
http://www.mushroomjohn.org/bnn1.htm

Cool pictorial of several growths of the B+ strain .
http://www.mushroomjohn.org/b+1.htm

Some Penis Envy Grown On Kowanite
http://www.mushroomjohn.org/penis1.htm

The Ban Phang Ka Cube In Kowanite
http://www.mushroomjohn.org/bpk1.htm

The Tak Mountain Cube From Tak, Central, Thailand
http://www.mushroomjohn.org/tak1.htm

The Ban Lipa Yai strain from Koh Samui
http://www.mushroomj...rg/lipayai1.htm

From The Fabulous Rice Paddies Of Ban Hua Thanon, Koh Samui.
http://www.mushroomjohn.org/bht1.htm

From The Montane Regions Of Ecuador, South America: Psilocybe subcubensis.
http://www.mushroomj...rg/ecuador1.htm

From The Sacred Grounds Of The Monastery Of Ban Nathon, Koh Samui.
http://www.mushroomj...org/nathon1.htm

From South Africa: The Mighty Transkei Psilocybe cubensis - Robust Bodies And Golden Wavy Caps.
http://www.mushroomjohn.org/SA1.htm

A complete step-by-step pictorial of Psilocybe cubensis
from a sporeprint collected in elephant dung
near Na Muang, Koh Samui.
http://www.mushroomjohn.org/ed1.htm

The Shit, The Flies, The Spores, The Shrooms and the Ants
http://www.mushroomjohn.org/theshit.htm

The World's Largest Legal Mushroom Farms in Holland. The actual pages are a bit confusing in my sites index pages as I not only have the Fresh Mushroom Farms of Tiel, but also Pro-Care, now called Magic Truffles, and the McSmart Shroom Farm, also at Hazelwoude-Dorp, Nederland. Three of the original largest growers. Not only do these companies sell the products with their names on them, but they also sold to other smart shops who would put their own personal business logo on the shroom packets they sold so it seemed like there were dozens of growers, but actually there were only five main farms producing. You might have to check around in the various indexes of the site to figure out where the complete data is on the three I wrote about for and of course there are my posted articles on Nederland shrooms in Heads Magazine posted at my site in the articles section and in the cultivation Index and in the main index under all things shroomy or in the articles index.

However, the complete stories concerning the Nederland shroom Smart Shopped vendors and growers are published in my cd-rom, "Teonanacatl: A Bibliography of Entheogenic Fungi" of which Jochen Gartz is no longer listed as a co-author since he contributed jack shit in 2000 of 8 pages of his own references with a little English corrections in the titles and publishers. He never did any other work on that cd-rom in a ten year period and on the advise of lawyers, the removal of his name as co-author was legal with the new edition and 2010 copyright this July.

http://www.mushroomjohn.org/tiel.htm

A series of photo images of Copelandia tropicalis at Kualoa Ranch on Oahu Island in Hawaii.

These mushrooms were found fruiting naturaly in one day old manure over a 21-day period.

http://www.mushroomj...icaliscult1.htm

Some cool images of 22-22" inch tall Orissa, India cultivated mushrooms.
http://www.mushroomj...org/orissa1.htm

I also wish to post some images below of the non-hallucinogenic species, Psilocybe pegleriana that grew like lleana vines with 20 inch stems that were intertwined like vines up a wall.

This mushroom was discovered in 2001 by Travis Canaday from Ohio who brought me a hand painted painting on the airplane, carried it all the way in his seat so as to not get it damaged. He painted some cubes, a buffalo/cow scull and Angkor Wat as a gift. On this very journey was also my friend Clyde from the Dung Brothers of Hawks composts supplier, his Thai Wife he met at the airport of which there is a video of her in my cultivation book on my site with samuiensis and travis holding cubes next to my hand holding P. samuiensis. Some assholes at the site I do not talk about or visit made some rude comments thinking I was pointing the video cam at her boobs when it was actually Chief Ill Eagle (also known as clyde of the same site. Many of his cult images of my shrooms he grew are posted in my cult book at my site. Some of the pedo creeps thought I was photographing a young girls boobs when in fact it was her husband.

We were on the Northwest towards the Bo Phut area where you get the boats to go to Koh Phanghan, home of the annual monthly Full Moon Festival in a dry area. A raggae dude has a restaurant with his Thai wife and they serve omelettes and giant squirrels. I was having some Thai Pad noodles out of a monsoon storm where you could not see a foot in front of your cycle and I noticed a cage with two giant Thai red Squirrels and I thought how cute, until one German customer ordered one for lunch. Grossed me out. A picture is forthcoming. Trying to recall the name of his restaurant. I think it was the Black Cat. It had An American name.

Anyway, this was an extra hot 110 degrees in the shade day and we were wandering in a swampy snake infested ten-feet tall grass when I Travis called us over to examime some beautiful Psilocybe shrooms that had violet purplish spore prints covering the caps. I collected a grouping of about 6 lone shrooms from a large buffalo turd, there were only two gray buffalos in the area. And I put the shrooms in an empty cigarette pack to protect them. Made prints back at the bungalo about an hour later. They were deep violaceous so I thought if this is a new species then i would name it Psilocybe violacea Guzman, Allen and Canaday in honor of Travis finding it.

The first spore print went to Workman who grew massive vine-like stems with small caps on his first try. He did it in a jar. One image he producec in a petri dish was a curved 4 inch long shroom with four shrooms growing upwards from the stem. Sorry but his photos are in my large 160-page paper. I will post here 2 of the original shrooms as we found them in the manure and several of the gigantic 18 inch and longer stems in a ten pound mycobag, and then the small about 12 altogether fresh beautiful shrooms that looked closed to the original outdoor culture from Ban Tai where we found them.

So here is the painting travis painted for me as a gift. We met on the Internet and he sent in the deposit of $1000.00 dollars for the 17-day tour of Thailand and Cambodia.

One more person who was on the trip was a strange young kid of about 23-living in Thailand named Mike. He used the name, Thaiguy on the Internet, one night he invited me, Chief Ill Eagle, Chief;s wife Nataya, and Travis to his bungalow at the resort we stay at also shown at my site to smoke some weed he scored and he had a girl with him, but it was a lady-boy and we did not have the heart to tell him, or maybe he really knew it was not a guy..
anyway, Here from 2001 somewhere between August to October 10th or so is the painting on my wall that Travis did for me as a gift. That was really nice to carry such a cool painting sitting in his seat from Ohio to Seattle. Many of the close to 100 people I took on shroom forays to Thailand, still keep in touch with me.

Travis angkor Wat Cube, skull temple Painting, about 2 feet and 3/4 inches wide by 1 inch and 3/4s high. Carried inhis plane seat from Ohio to Seattle.
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1286624578

Nataya and Chief Ill Eagle at Ta Proehm home of Lara croft Tomb raider at Angkor Wat
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1286627220

Chief Ill Eagle, Mr. Sawat and Man of Knowledge in the fileds of ban Hua thanon where we picked about a pound of psilocybe samuiensis found by Nataya while I was returned to the temple of Wat Kunoram where sits the Monk who mummified himself on the day and time he had predicted his death. I left my backpack with several thousands in travelers checks, Passport, etc. Had made a donation to the temple and left. some creepy Italian dude tried to claim it and the monk knows me from every trip I bring tourist there who contribute to the wat. He held it and as I was leaving, the Chief, Mike and Nataya caught up with me and said we think we found your samuiensis shrooms at Hua Thanon so we went back and about 20 rice paddie squares approx. 50 yards from where I first discovered it ten years earlier was copngested with both samuiensis and cubes. I think that Hawk also has some video of out samuiensis cube find with me talking about my children the sams.

Travis finds his first cube of his life.

Travis buys two t-shirts from my artist friend Wipaporn of Nathon. I made several quick sketches of about 6 designs and she had his shirts two days later all dried for him.

Travis scores a tall thin specimen of Panaeolus antillarum.

Here are the first three of 7 photos of the ban Thai original collection that both Workman, and I cultivated, as well as my colleagues at Chulalongkorn also cultivated some smaller specimens.

And here from the Kwai farm at Suphanburi, the place where I gave Workman the first specimen of a Cope he developed into the Pan Goliath strain, a mushroom which in no way resembled a Copelandia species. Those are images in my large paper I cannot show.

But these are the P. violacea from 2006, 5 years after my original discovery by Travis in 2001.

Later, after Guzman studied them, we learned they were an already known species from South and Southeast Asia, Indonesia and other locations throughout tropical climates that were known as Psilocybe pegleriana. At first guzman thought they were P.brunocystidiata.

The published paper is posted after the labpictures and the cultivation by me of the two main flushes. The first was humongous and the second a short 10 or so or more that resembled closely their natural outdoor look.

My find in 2006 of P. violacea (P. pegleriana)

And here are 4 microscopic Spores by Workman, and SEM by me and Prakitsin Sihanonth and cult in a petri plate and flash images in the lab at Chulalongkorn in Bangkok of P. violacea (P. pegleriana).

Spores by Workman
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1286625335

SEM by me and Prakitsin Sihanonth.
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1286625336

A petri plate with PDA and pinners by me and Sunisa, one of the chemist who helped discover Psilosamuiensis A, a new compound we found in P. samuiensis.

And P. violacea (P. pegleriana) in a flask with buffalo manure compost.

This one I will post below later. I thought it would be easier to let you go to the pages and see all of these fantastic images as they grew in the order of their growth

And here we have the results of a first flush I produce this most unbeliable growth of P. pegleriana in a ten pound mycobag of buffalomanure and rice paddie straw. No casing whatsoever. IT says mex on the bag. An error as we were going to mix spawn of ryeberry seed to compost for growing out Mexicana for comparitive studies to samuiensis, antioquensis, and P. semilanceata. to P. mexicana. The Cambodia P. antioquensis i discovered in 2002 with 8 participants in my foraying group is originally from Antios, Columbia and Mexico, and I found it in Cambodia as well as P. samuiensis in Cambodia, both related to P. mexicana, the only shrooms outside of Mexico related directly to Psilocybes in that country.

Here is Flush one, an amazing surprising growth of wondrous mushrooms. Nothing like their original wild specimens shown above. Only two flushes in this cult attempt.

7 images a closed mycobag.
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1286626187

An opened mycobag.
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1286626189

3 images of the top view of the opened bag.

Two handfuls of shrooms detached from along side one side of the bag after cutting it away from one side.

And the very small final 2nd flush of P. pegleriana (P. violacea). I really thought the name violacea was a most appropriate name for this species after seeing the original violaceous colored caps at Ban Tai, Koh Samui.

These were real purdy fruiting bodies, remisicent of the original wild collection as far as their macroscopic features were concerned.
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1286626584

And hopefully here are the pages of the published paper by me, Guzman, Sihanonth, and F. Ramirez Gullen. Stange as it may seem, I have publishedpapers on five continents and more than a dozen countries outside of the USA.

pegleriana-australasia1abc.jpg

pegleriana-australasia2abc.jpg

pegleriana-australasia3abc.jpg

pegleriana-australasia4abc.jpg

Man of Knowledge

See next post below for the images of the cultivation of P. sphinctrinus (P. papilionaceus).

Attached Thumbnails

• 1Aexfcam11b.jpg
  • pviola6.jpg
  • pviola7.jpg
  • pviola5.jpg
  • pviola3.jpg
  • pviola4.jpg
  • 7pviola12.JPG
  • pviola1.jpg
  • pviola2.jpg
  • 6pviola11.jpg
  • 4topofbag2.JPG
  • 5topofbag1.JPG
  • 2allenspviolacea2abc.jpg
  • 1allenfrontofbag1abc.jpg
  • 3allenspviolacea1abc.jpg
  • violaceainflaskatchula1.jpg
  • violaceaSEM2006-4.jpg
  • Violacea_petri.jpg
  • pviolacea4.jpg
  • 9pviolacea3.jpg
  • 10violaceasuphanburi14.jpg
  • 8pviolacea2.jpg
  • 5kohsamui2001-61.jpg
  • 7pviolacea1.jpg
  • 6kohsamui2001-54.jpg
  • 3kohsamui2001-29.jpg
  • 4kohsamui2001-7.jpg
  • 2fig446.jpg
  • 1traviscannadaypainting2001-1.jpg

Edited by Sidestreet, 06 September 2015 - 08:26 PM.
Add the photos and correct the text that closed up together when editing to add photos

• Erkee and symon like this

#5 Man of Knowledge

Man of Knowledge

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 732 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:46 AM

This weekend I will post the cultivation of Panaeolus sphinctrinus (P. papilionaceus) a non-active species that I grew from a sporeprint that I was told was an active pan species, most likely Pan subbs. However, they were not as one can see viewing them.

Man of Knowledge.

This was a bitch to put this one together.

Have a shroomy weekend
  • Uncle G likes this

#6 McDozd

McDozd

In this moment

• OG VIP
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:16 AM

Thanks for all the info, it was a very long read but a good one. I can only imagine the life you had devoted to this wonderful field.
Peace
Mc
:hippie:

#7 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,357 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:57 AM

:bow:

fabulous history lesson. I enjoyed this MJ so thanks for taking the time.

Also, as always, let me know what you need edits on and I'll do my best to handle for you.

Without a doubt this is archive material.

#8 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 8,120 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:15 AM

Hope you had a happy birthday mj!

Thanks again for all your hard work... the older I get the less I seem to get done. You my friend have a few years on me but your efforts and work continue.

#9 eateer

eateer

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:56 AM

wow so much information! I am a long term resident in BKK. I have visited the buffalo farm once maybe 4 years back, but at the time knew nothing about shrooms. Would you going back there if i wanted to find some?

Cheers

#10 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,698 posts

Donator

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:00 PM

This is a kick ass thread. Thanks for all your hard work

#11 Raze

Raze

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:41 PM

Yeah this is a great read, I was just reading an old post on the Fiji Cubensis, which made me want a print of them badly :eusa_wall

#12 Jawn

Jawn

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 857 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:38 PM

I've followed your posts for years, mj. Always a good read, always interesting. Thanks for your contribution. I liken reading your posts to Paul Stamets books.

Makes me curious; have you ever considered publishing a book? I'd buy a journal of your worldwide exploits in a heartbeat. When I read your posts, I feel like I do when I watch Into the Wild. I respect what you do, and wish I had the courage to break from what I know and do something similar. I love your articles, but a consolidated collection would be fantastic.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!