Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

shroom hunting in florida would appreciate help :)

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 thejackle

thejackle

Smile =)

• Expired Member
  • 553 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 06:38 PM

okay, so lately i have been in a hunting kind of mood, i live in florda, i have found the list
-------------------------------
Florida
Panaeolus cambodginiensis
Panaeolus chlorocystis
Panaeolus cyanescens
Gymnopilus luteofolius
Gymnopilus luteoviridis
Gymnopilus luteus
Panaeolus cinctulus
Panaeolus fimicola
Psilocybe caerulescens (very rare)
Psilocybe cubensis
Psilocybe mammilata
Psilocybe tampanensis (Found only once in recorded history)

and i have started doing research on these mushrooms, but i cant seem too find anything online about what conditions they like too grow in IE what i should look for too find them?

http://en.wikipedia....cambodginiensis
http://en.wikipedia....olus_cyanescens
http://en.wikipedia....lus_luteofolius
http://en.wikipedia....mnopilus_luteus
http://en.wikipedia....us_luteoviridis
http://en.wikipedia....eolus_cinctulus
http://en.wikipedia....aeolus_fimicola
http://en.wikipedia....be_caerulescens
http://en.wikipedia....locybe_cubensis

and i cant seem too find anything on

Panaeolus chlorocystis
http://www.google.co...lient=firefox-a

any help would be GREATLY appreciated, i plan on bagging and tagging every mushroom i see, and posting them on here too help id them....

To help too the detail of my environment i live in central florida, so the environment is a lot like georgia, but still kinda florida-ish?

again i just would like too get some help in finding them, knowing where and what too look for would really help.

while some off these links contain some information on where they like too grow, most off them i cant find much info on... and i would really like some imput from you guys, seeing as i trust you guys over other sites.

------------
ALSO a friend told me that they should be picked at a certain time of the day? is this true? and what shrooms are in season if anyone knows?

continued research tells me i should go shrooming 12-36 hours after heavy rain, and that may-october is when cubes are most popular around florida, so this is what i plan on looking for, although i still plan on bagging every lil one i see.
--------------
additionally, i have never had wet shrooms, when i have had shrooms i have purchased them and they came dry. how much should i eat, (weight wise) un-dryd shroom?

Edited by thejackle, 08 October 2010 - 07:13 PM.

• baneone4u likes this

#2 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:25 AM

Cant help much on where to find them except to look for cubes where cows poop after it rains, but can help on dose.

Fresh cubes are a bit more potent than dried. The rule of thumb is that wet is about 10x the dried weight, so 20 g wet = 2 g dry or so. I feel like when I eat 20 g wet its a bit more than a 2 g dry experience by a bit. So if you normally eat 3.5 g of dry cubes, try about 25 to 30 g wet for the same type of experience.

Happy hunting.

:pirate: TR

#3 Theodore Blass

Theodore Blass

On vacation

• Expired Member
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:04 AM

by central i assume your referring to the college towns...it cant be that hard to find them if you just go out and look. i remember reading about gville being "room capital of the world."
check out the cow fields, or any type of wide open grazing field used for farm animals, more specifically horses & cattle.

watch out for the rock salt shotty shells tho...:horse:

this should help

A general rule of thumb is; the further south you go, the better chances you will have of finding them growing abundantly Year-Around. The state of Florida is known among Shroomers as the best place on the Gulf Coast for finding shrooms every month of the year.
As a matter of fact, the first psychoactive mushrooms discovered growing on American soil were found in Gainesville Florida (aka: The Mushroom Capital of the United States).

#4 Man of Knowledge

Man of Knowledge

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 732 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:06 AM

okay, so lately i have been in a hunting kind of mood, i live in florda, i have found the list
Florida
Panaeolus cyanescens
Panaeolus cinctulus
Psilocybe cubensis

Sorry but cubes and Copelandia cyanescens are the most common and easiest to find. The other copes you really would need some mycology background and good microscopes to even distinguish any microscopic differences in them as basically they macroscopically are too similar to tell from one another.

As for P. tampanensis it has since been found in Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana and southern Georgia. But is semi rare to find.
So cow pies are your main bet.

As for P. cinctulus (Panaeolus subbalteatus), you are more likely to find them in Riding stables in compost heaps and rotted hay stacks all mixed with mostly horse manure or cow manure and stable shavings and at race tracks,. When appearing in lawns, they generally only come up once or twice in a few weeks period and usually do not return months or years later.

They do grow in cow pie manure heaps, but generally not enought to get high. And a field of pan subbs are rare. There are usually very few reports of large collections. GGreatOne234 has found them on occasion in lawns in Florida as well as C. bispora (bisporus). Chlorocystis is rare. I avoid the Gymnopilus species because at times, deadly Galerina mushrooms are mistakenly picked as laughing Gyms. stick to chocolate to purple brown spore prints, white to tawny yellow stems and a ring for cubes and black spores and no rings with thin stems and intense bluing for copelandia species.

You can also visit my field guide to 60 of the more than 200 known species of psilocybian fungi world wide at

http://www.mushroomj...org/species.htm

And there are many links to shroomers images picking in fields around the world, a section on animals where shrooms are found. Out of 200 known species, only about 20 grow in manure. Some grow in manured soil but not directly out of manure. Most grow in woodchipsand beauty bark mulch in cold weather and nothern hemispere. There is also around Georgia and some surrounding states, P. weilii, P. atlanta, and other species. P. weilii is similar sometimes in appearance to p. caerulescens which is also common in Mississippi and parts of Louisiana and Florida. But stick to cubes or copes and you will be quite safe. There are intense quantities of chemical activity between copes and cubes. Dried cubes take from 1-2 to 5 dried grams to be equal to a Mazatec ceremonial dose or up to one fresh ounce of cubes. On the other hand, 7-10 fresh copes are pretty potent and id you do not know how to correctly handle them so as to not use potency or how to dry them, they can lose half their potency. Dried is one to two grams. Be careful, they are potent but a bit gagging on the throat/

Bluing can be viewed at my site for Copes at this URL:

http://www.mushroomjohn.org/copelandiacyanescens1.htm

Two Copes bluing naturally from natural wind and storm damage during short few hours of monsoon rain.

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1286629394

A URL for 200 images of P. cubensis, including bluing, growing, drying, etc
http://www.mushroomjohn.org/psilocybecubensis1.htm

A bluing cube

And here are some B+ indoor cultivated cubes with the caps cut from the stems to make salable spore prints. See the bluing where I cut the cap from the stem with a sterilized pair of scissors.

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1286631333

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1286631333

And pick healthy well formed study mushrooms, not ones atha are old and mushie so you won't get any stomach problems from bacteria. Also, older shrooms will have little white fruit fly larvae in them =. they are protein but most people should not eat such shrooms or pick such shrooms or share them with others.

For more on rotted cubes you should never pick, see:

http://www.mushroomj...org/theshit.htm

and have a shroomy day
man of Knowledge

Andbe sure to avoide a big whitish parasol mushroom with scales on the cap and a white ring and the gills tend to turn greenish with age. iT is toxic and more people in the State of Florida than anywhere else in the world have accidentally mistaked that mushroom referred to as Green Gills as a P. cubensis. They look nothing alike.

Attached Thumbnails

• B+1stflushday23-6.jpg
  • B+abc2.jpg
  • bluecube25[1].jpg
  • bigbluemeanie3[1].jpg
  • copes2005-28[1].jpg

Edited by Man of Knowledge, 09 October 2010 - 08:48 AM.

#5 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,312 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 June 2011 - 07:57 AM

I'm a newbie at cultivation,but I have been hunting in central Florida for over 30 years. The best time of the year is about two weeks after the summer rains have started. They start about the end of May. So June through August. Although one time we found some on Thanksgiving morning, and boy were we thankful. The best time of day is the morning,wait till you get a good rain in the afternoon then hit the fields the following morning. The advantages of a morning hunt; the morning is cooler better for you and the heat hasn't effected the potentcy of the shroom , also when they start to dry they are harder to find because the are not as bright.
As for any varieties other than cubensis I can't help I am just now realizing that I have been walking over other varieties.
Beleive it or not the magic mushroom field I have ever seen was right beside the "Magic Kingdom"(Disney World). As a matter of fact we could see space mountain from there. I sure do miss it.
  • Southport likes this

#6 friedrice

friedrice

FRIED CULTURE

• Expired Member
  • 470 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 10:42 AM

i have found the ideal environment is old orange groves, that are now cow feilds. the old rows will hold water like small canals after some solid rain, which keeps the moisture content at field capacity. And from personal experience the only two i have yet to find are cubes and cyans. Although I gave up hunting for growing. best of luch in your hunts. I have found 2lb. fresh in a three or four hours once.

#7 cubensis hunter

cubensis hunter

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:27 AM

cubes like the nice wet shady areas usually in taller grass in cow fields or in patches of oak trees in cow fields , whenever i go out it only takes me about 2 hours to get a good 3 or 4 lbs harvest . as far as eating them wet as opposed to dry i prefer them wet my faves are the big ones that the veil hasnt opened yet as the have a somewhat crisper more palatteable taste to them , and as far as how many to eat ? well that just depends on your tolerance to cubes , first time eatin wet cubes try 2 or 3 medium or small ones , like i said i prefer the large unopened ones and end up eating 7 or 8 10gramers before i even leave the field (i once drove and sunk my jeep into a pond (looked like grass) in the middle of a field and ended up sitting on the roof in the middle of a 5 foot deep pond for 8 hours trippin before my buddy towed me out , so i would suggest waiting till your home to eat them ) also unless you want mush instead of crisp fresh shrooms never put them in a plastic bag in the florida humidity , they decompose quickly like that , use a doubled paper bag it absorbs excess moisture and keeps your cubes fresh . happy hunting :D

#8 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,312 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:14 AM

One time in field I was talking about (by Disney World) we 31/2 large paper sacks full.
I agree with paper but try not to get the bottom wet, if the bottom falls out you'll end up backtracking and waiting time rehunting the same shrooms. I love hunting, it is like when you were a little kid looking for Easter eggs.

#9 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,542 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:16 PM

At the edge of the tree line, usually live oaks, around a field is a good place to hunt. They like the tall grass that gets partial shade at the edge of the tree cover.

#10 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,312 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:26 AM

I just found these to day, in front of my car, under some bushes, in the parking lot of an organic food store.Where I went to pick up some brown rice for my BRF/verm jars.
Yes Virginia there is a Santa Clause.

#11 darron

darron

i dont know.

• Expired Member
  • 150 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:02 PM

Lucky people. Wish I lived there.

#12 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,312 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:44 PM

Lucky people. Wish I lived there.

Yea but I've lived here all of my life,been doing shrooms for 30 yrs. and this is the first time it has ever happened to me. Now I've heard stories but even they are few and far between. Maybe God has something to tell and he wants me to hear him with out going through an angel. I mean this is divine intervention. I don't have anything to show from my first attempt at a grow from scratch. I went to the store to get BRF for my second attempt.
Hunting wild mushrooms is cool, but you have to know somebody with a pasture or run the risk of going to jail. When I was young that wasn't as big of a deal, but not the way things are now. Being responsible sucks!
Some of the best times I ever had picking was when a friend of mine lived on a farm. We would saddle up the horses, load the saddle bags with beer, Throw a fishing rod in the rifle holder and off we would go. Shrooming on horseback is the best not only because of being with nature but being up high on a horse you can look straight down into the high grass. Well we would shroom and drink beer all the way to the lake,do na little fishing, then shroom and drink more beer. When we got home a wood call a neighbor who grew weed and trade some shrooms for weed. AH! those were some week ends. Well enough for now I have to make my jars.

#13 shroomhunt

shroomhunt

The Snake Man

• Expired Member
  • 895 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:38 PM

Hey man I live in the same region. I have been out twice in the last week and came up pretty much empty handed. Although last year in mid June the cubensis and tropicalis where going crazy after several days if not a week or more of rain. However this is the correct time to find those two species so definitely do some looking after a good rain. I believe two to three years ago I found three or four tampanensis on a cow poop. From pictures I've seen online I'm pretty sure on the ID for those few to be tampanensis. A friend who was crazy enough to try them said he definitely felt effect at a decent level although he ate a single cubensis of below average size at the same time. I believe the cubensis to have been too small to cause noticeable effect by itself leading me even more to believe the others to be of an active species. Make a b-line for the tree line when you go looking.

#14 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,312 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:13 PM

Well you have to realize our rainy season was off to a late start, about six weeks late. So you'll have to be patient. I was thinking about calling a friend of mine this weekend to see if he has seen anything yet.

#15 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,312 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:16 PM

I just looked up tampanensis and a friend of mine was telling me they psychoactive as well. But I never tried them.

#16 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,312 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:22 PM

Check out this link for tampaensis http://www.shroomery...ensis-sclerotia

#17 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,542 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:51 PM

I just found these to day, in front of my car, under some bushes, in the parking lot of an organic food store.Where I went to pick up some brown rice for my BRF/verm jars.
Yes Virginia there is a Santa Clause.

They look good. Have you checked for bluing? There is a mushroom in my area that looks like a cubie when it is mature called Agaricus Campestri or Arvensis (meadow mushroom or horse mushroom). When young it has pink gills but as it matures the dark brown almost purplish spores hide the pink gills. These shrooms will not bruise blue but will usually bruise yellow or have a yellow tint to some parts. I enclosed a pic to show how similar these are to cubies. When I was a kid I picked a whole fields of these, probably 10 lbs of mushrooms only to find out they weren't active. Bummer lol

Attached Thumbnails

• Agaricus_arvensis or campestri.jpg

#18 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,312 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:28 PM

No bluing. They tasted right when fresh, but tasted too bitter when dried so I threw them out. I'll wait.
I have some 7 BRF jars of Equadorians colonizing fast, a B+ flat cake that I just put in the fruiting chamber, 7 jars of BRF knocked up with Golden Teachers(not doing anything yet) Just ordered 2 more syringes of Equadorians to knock up extra BRF jars that I have ready to go, and yesterday I made up 7 pint jars WBS for 2 syringes of Brazilians that are due tomorrow. So I should have plenty in about a month. I don't think that even I can screw all of this up. Worst come to worst ShroomHunt lives in my area and when he starts to finding them I'll call a buddy who's family has cattle.

#19 Cue

Cue

Chat Head

• OG VIP
  • 8,312 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:26 PM

Well they should be starting to pop up folks. It has been raining most places everyday now. the RH was 100 this morning with 60 percent chance of rain today. One local mytopian told me he has been getting a few. I called my friend who has cattle Friday and he said he hasn't found any yet, but he hasn't checked since last weekend. Either I am trying to get a hold of him to make arrangements for next weekend. I should have my own EQs by then, I would just like to get some prints circulating around. I suggest any other hunters out there do the same. I assume a wild strain would be excellent for an out door grow. for info check a thread called collecting spores in the field,Freaky and I started
Speaking of hunting and out door grows, it may not be long when i only have to go as far as my yard to go shrooming. I have been throwing all of my left overs away and check out the pics. The first pic shows one of my (as of now) five grow attempt I threw two B+ cakes out. placed cpoo around it and covered it with one of those sheets of coir.
Well today out of curiosity I lift on away and look at what I found. The mycelium is growing right into the coir. The mycelium looks better than it ever did. So if B+ is looking this good imagine what we could do with spores from a wild strain. It maybe to late for some of us this year. I think we should try to get the spores now so we will be ready next spring. And with some watering we won't be waiting for the rains so long like we did this year. And no cops or farmers to worry about.
Happy Hunting
Cue

#20 Man of Knowledge

Man of Knowledge

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 732 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:47 PM

Florida
Panaeolus cambodginiensis
Panaeolus chlorocystis
Panaeolus cyanescens
Gymnopilus luteofolius
Gymnopilus luteoviridis
Gymnopilus luteus
Panaeolus cinctulus
Panaeolus fimicola
Psilocybe caerulescens (very rare)
Psilocybe cubensis
Psilocybe mammilata
and i have started doing research on these mushrooms, but i cant seem too find anything online about what conditions they like too grow in IE what i should look for too find them?
http://en.wikipedia....cambodginiensis
http://en.wikipedia....olus_cyanescens
http://en.wikipedia....lus_luteofolius
http://en.wikipedia....mnopilus_luteus
http://en.wikipedia....us_luteoviridis
http://en.wikipedia....eolus_cinctulus
http://en.wikipedia....aeolus_fimicola
http://en.wikipedia....be_caerulescens
http://en.wikipedia....locybe_cubensis
and i cant seem too find anything on
Panaeolus chlorocystis
http://www.google.co...lient=firefox-a
any help would be GREATLY appreciated, i plan on bagging and tagging every mushroom i see, and posting them on here too help id them....
To help too the detail of my environment i live in central florida, so the environment is a lot like georgia, but still kinda florida-ish?
again i just would like too get some help in finding them, knowing where and what too look for would really help.
while some off these links contain some information on where they like too grow, most off them i cant find much info on... and i would really like some imput from you guys, seeing as i trust you guys over other sites.
------------
ALSO a friend told me that they should be picked at a certain time of the day? is this true? and what shrooms are in season if anyone knows?
continued research tells me i should go shrooming 12-36 hours after heavy rain, and that may-october is when cubes are most popular around florida, so this is what i plan on looking for, although i still plan on bagging every lil one i see.
--------------
additionally, i have never had wet shrooms, when i have had shrooms i have purchased them and they came dry. how much should i eat, (weight wise) un-dryd shroom?

First, P. tampanensis has been picked now in Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana and along the coastal area of Florida. IT is not that common. neither is C. chlorocystis. IT is just a synonym of Copelandia cyanescens.

P, mammilata was found decades ago and not much sense except it has been picked in some Carribbean Islands in the triangle region.

P. caerulescens, a Mazatec shroom was originally found in Huntsville Alabama in the early 1920s. It has been collected from Louisiana to Florida and some in southern Georgia where P. weilii is very similar to P. caerulescens.

Leave the Orange mushrooms alone. There are deadly ones that can kill and they resemble some of the active Gymnopilus mushrooms.

Stick to manure for Copes and cubes and Copes do grow on lawns. The cambods would be like P. tropicalis. You picked 1000 Copelandia cyanescens and maybe ten of them are one of the other species of Copelandias.

The c. bispora (or C. bisporus) grows in grass and not directly in manure. I collected and id'ed them from Hawaii, before only from Cambodia, Central West aftica, a single two flushes completed a full lawn of fresh sod brought to Bern, Suisse growing in a Church yard., However, I felt safer picking on farm lands with mocassins, cotton mouths, eastern rattles, black widows love to hide and build nests under dried manure and wood laying around open fields. A ticket is one thing. Cubes if fresh are not illegal under Florida law, but trespassing is and Florida police are like Texas police, not nice to strangers prowling in someones field and pickers have been popped with rock salt in shotgun shells. On the other hand, you really do not want to trample on someones front lawn with all the sick gun nuts in the South to southeast USA, When I lived in Jacksonville I had a permit and took my kid and had a Lebanese minister drive my son and I out to pick cubes. He had no idea what I was doing. Had a big nose that belonged in the desert. And a preacher to bat. Always thought we sold the shrooms at the market with the vegetables.
As for weather conditions, differenty parts of Florida have different temperatures at different times of the year.

IF too hot, no grow, occassionally an off season rain can bring a crop up or sprinlers in lawns for those. I doubt you will find any pan subbs, or Pan fimicola.

There are sixty species featured at my site with about 3000-4000 ohotos and descriptions of where and how they grow. Do not pick rotted shrooms even though they might be actives. Worms love manured shrooms, mostly fruit fly larvae type.

Read this paper pictorial on manured shrooms

http://www.muhroomjohn.org/shit.htm

Then go to the species page and look at several hundred cubes, fresh, bluing specimens, dried, just picked, but all very healthy, not like the shrooms in my pictorial called the shit.

And watch out for snakes, when I lived in Jacksonville in 1979, half a block down my sisters street from her house, a 12-year-old kid died from an Eastern Diamond back about 6 feet or so and close to a 2-3 inch diameter body. He was just walking along the grass by the paved road but no sidewalks in the neighborhood and behind the homes there was serious like aligator swamplands.

Here are some cubes in the open, where I find most is at the buffalo arenas in Asia.

This first one had Copes and giant cubes growing side by side, They were not there the day before. Saw ones like this and came back the next day and they wilted and went worm wild. This is at the Ban Hua Thanon Buffalo Arena
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1310927128

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1310926185

Here are some copes form Ban Phang kaa/ IF you check my strains at my species page you can see what I did with a print from a Ban Phang Kaa cube. Got a lot of this buffalo and copes from different angles.

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1310927128

And do not eat any Green Gills, they are toxic and will send you to the ER. They are all over Florida. They are a white-gilled scabby scaly powdery cap Lepiota type parasol whose gills become green light colored with age. Also known as Morgan's Lepiota and as Chlorophyllum Molybdites.

More people in the State of Florida are poisoned by green gills thinking they are cubes. They look nothing like cubes.

Man of Knowledge

You can go to my site and read about Florida Shroom Busts to give you another idea. Steven Peele of the Florida Mycology Research Center lives in Florida with hundreds of cattle. find his web pages.

Attached Thumbnails

• samuicube71abc.jpg
  • samuicube111.jpg
  • samuicube35.jpg
  • samuicube33.jpg

Edited by Man of Knowledge, 17 July 2011 - 01:31 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!