14 replies to this topic

#1 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:12 AM

Does anyone have useful experience with tankless, on-demand water heaters?

Do tell...

#2 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,911 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:56 AM

well what is it you want to know?:weedpoke:

#3 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:09 AM

well what is it you want to know?:weedpoke:

Basically, pimp me a brand - whole house unit...i want a good one. People say one of the main problems is finding someone in the area to service it. That aside, I want to know about some good ones.

#4 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,911 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:38 AM

i have a paloma. which you can get at the home despot. i here bosch makes a bomb unit, you cant go wrong with german engineering.

http://www.palomatankless.com/

mine is a good unit, pumps out the hot water all day if you want it. hot water comes fast, to even the furthest faucet. it has helped my energy bill, but not much. because gas is not the culprit here.

the downside to my particular unit is that it needs 120v supply to run it's ignitor. which is not always a bad thing, say for instance i want my roommate out of the shower in a hurry. all i have to do is pull the plug. now they have ones that use an impeller in the water flow to create a milli voltage to spark off the burner. something to think about if you live in an area where the power goes out frequently.

another down side is if you like a luke warm shower this can sometimes be a problem. because the water flow is the only thing keeping the unit from melting itself down. this thing has one hell of a burner to make "instantly" hot water. so when you slow the water flow in the heat exchanger the exchanger heats up and the computer will shut off the burner to avoid damage. which give you and "instantly" cold shower. it's not the end of the world you just have to be a bit of a knob jockey. newer units might have this problem fixed, mine is about 5 years old now.

another draw back is the cost of one of these units. i don't know about right now but when i bought mine you could not touch a decent one for under a thousand clams. but when you consider the heat exchanger has a 20 year life span that ain't bad.

as far as servicing your unit goes, all relevant parts are available to the consumer. the units are not complicated so i figure it can all be done by a homeowner. installation although i would not call it a breeze, was not to difficult. shoot me and my old man did it in an afternoon, only took one twelve pack.

#5 dub504

dub504

Le bons temps rouler

• Expired Member
  • 840 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:47 PM

Have you looked at solar water heaters?

#6 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:44 PM

Have you looked at solar water heaters?

Yes I have. That's further down the line for me. Solar anything is only partially useful where I'm at. I'd be taking cold showers anywhere from 7-9 months. Eventually, I'll run the electric on-demand with solar when it's possible.

#7 Erkee

Erkee

Trolls'R'us

• Expired Member
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:20 PM

I'd like to say 'you can build one'.
But that may be 'dangerous' without the right knowledge.

Clues:
-Electric water-heater elements screw into 1-inch pipe thread.
-Simple flow sensor can be a variation of manometer.
-Relay.

#8 iamsmiley

iamsmiley

the ice woman

• Expired Member
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:09 AM

i worked at a place that had a rather high demand for hot water and we had a household Bosch unit.the thing worked great with plenty of hot water all day.the boss got the bill though so i'm not sure about power consumption.they also don't take up much room.i've seen these types of units from home depot but they seemed a little expensive initially.

#9 Guest_anuggslife_*

Guest_anuggslife_*

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:42 AM

ive got a tankless water heater back on the farm

when i get over there today ill get the brand and specs

#10 Poppy

Poppy

Mycotopia Sponsor

• Sponsor
  • 190 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:45 AM

hands down the best tankless water heaters around are Rhani

http://water-heater-...own.pa-biz.com/

http://water-heater-...ater_info_2.pdf

Call this guy here and he will tell you all about it send you info and recommend someone in your area, this guy has a radio show about tankless water heaters and He installed one in a relatives house. It kicks ass.

Edited by Poppy, 15 October 2010 - 02:19 PM.

#11 big D

big D

pray for Grandma

• Expired Member
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:50 AM

ahhhhhh yeh, mmmmmhmmmmm

#12 stellarj

stellarj

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:24 AM

i got a bosch aquastar 425, its about 6 years old. the computer fried itself once, and my hard water has plugged it up once, then a housesitter unplugged let it freeze and i have not gotten the split in the copper heat exchanger fixxed. i put in a regular electric 40 gallon and plan to some day fix the bosch. j

#13 woopty

woopty

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:45 PM

I made a bad-ass on demand electric water heater with off-the-shelf components from the Lowe's for less than 25$.

It works great.......... pics and details to come when i get a chance to snap a few.

The basic nature of it is thus: pvc fittings put together in the right way with a 5000 watt 240v water heater element screwed into an appropiate fitting.

Cold water comes in from the side of the y pipe which is inverted and located at the bottom of the apparatus and the water then flows up and around the element and out the top of the pipe to a high-efficiency shower head.

You'll need to wire it for 240v as 120v run through a 5000W 240v element will only give ~ 1250W of heat, which is not nearly enough........

It will all make a shitload more sense when I get a chance to take pics
  • Erkee likes this

#14 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,405 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:15 PM

there are some other costs to consider other than purchase price.

you have to locate it in the right place which means relocating the utiltities.

I priced one for my last house but moved before getting around to installing it. At that time the cost of getting some pro's in the house to get the work done right was about the same as the cost of the unit.

#15 woopty

woopty

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:03 PM

Sorry to tease and run with the details, but I still haven't been able to get the time to mess with finding my camera and getting some pics of my setup.....

I wanted to chime in and comment though that whether you buy a commercial off-the-shelf unit or throw together a DIY version that most people find the electric versions MUCH easier to install without specialty knowledge and tools than the gas.

Just one more factor to consider.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!