#61 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,194 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:44 AM

If I was a gambler i'd bet "all-in" that the mycelium in the plate you show is not Cubensis. Take what I say with many grains of salt. I have grown lots of Cubensis myc and viewed way to many pictures of it ... that in my opinion is clearly not psilocybian mycelium.

I do appreciate your effort though. Cool stuff.
  • kcmoxtractor likes this

#62 Justincase

Justincase

Totally Noob!

• Expired Member
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:17 PM

If I was a gambler i'd bet "all-in" that the mycelium in the plate you show is not Cubensis. Take what I say with many grains of salt. I have grown lots of Cubensis myc and viewed way to many pictures of it ... that in my opinion is clearly not psilocybian mycelium.

I do appreciate your effort though. Cool stuff.

First its not Cubensis, and then its not Psilocybin at all? I tripped on this Mycelium and its parent mushrooms, sorry but in all due respect you cant just come in and make a statement deciding that my reality never happened Hyph it doesnt have to be Cubensis to have Psylocybin .
I bought these mushrooms and have tripped on them,they do contain Psilocybin. They come from a town in Oztralia well known for two different strains that are active. The ones I obtained are called Gold top locally but since I have never seen them fresh and bought them from people who dont have a clue either and dont care less ,as far as I know until I grow them and post thier pics to be looked at by experts such as yourself ,is they have a white stem and gold cap ( I have seen the Woolongong cubensis strain called Gold Top which also has a gold stem), it is possible they are not Cubensis, I only called them that as to my limited understanding at present would put a Mushroom called Gold Top in the Cubensis strain.This is Mycelium and it is active, the same mycelium is in a jar which is growing Myc taken from this plate, perhaps if you look at the latest pic on my Electrolysis thread you can make clearer judgment.Like I already said, I dabbed it with paper to remove some condensation , it stuck alot of the filaments together and the light wasnt good , the pic is to show only how far it had grown.Thanks

Edited by Justincase, 05 November 2010 - 01:04 PM.
Spelling

#63 Ethical

Ethical

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 01:02 AM

Oh, sorry for being unclear, I meant the cobweb like myc growth was discusting on those cakes, not your later maze/agar plates. These are the west Oz Psilocybe subaeruginosa? From what I understand there is only this, maybe some Panaeolus cinctulus and Panaeolus fimicola, but the university based fungi map for WA shows those much further south than the subs. There are also gyms, but they are ruled out because the myc would have a yellowish/orange color. It does look like mushroom myc to me, but like you say, the images aren't clear, so it's hard to be certain about anything until it's been fruited.
  • Justincase likes this

#64 Justincase

Justincase

Totally Noob!

• Expired Member
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 01:38 AM

Oh, sorry for being unclear, I meant the cobweb like myc growth was disgusting on those cakes, not your later maze/agar plates. These are the west Oz Psilocybe subaeruginosa? From what I understand there is only this, maybe some Panaeolus cinctulus and Panaeolus fimicola, but the university based fungi map for WA shows those much further south than the subs. There are also gyms, but they are ruled out because the myc would have a yellowish/orange color. It does look like mushroom myc to me, but like you say, the images aren't clear, so it's hard to be certain about anything until it's been fruited.

Thats okay Ethical, I worked it out.From the town ******, from the pine plantations they are, could have come from Imported European Pine seedling root balls). Referred to by locals as Gold Tops but the name is confusing. Awesome Tripping material. They seem to prefer wood, there are other Mushrooms in the area that are dung lovers from what I understand. The same Myc is clearer in other pics, my camera was having a bad day, I have dropped it several times and its never been the same. Light was bad etc. Will have to search out one of those maps, sounds like a useful piece of info.

My growing experience is shite at the moment, I have studied "How to grow Magic Mushrooms" I think it was written by T.Mckenna, it has alot of old school tek which seems to be a bit inground in my mind, hard to start doing things differently.I did almost complete a grow but copped the dreaded Trich and wet bubble which is why I got into this side of things, guessed it would be handy to do because I dont want that happening again after all that waiting. Thanks for you interest and polite comments Ehtical, much appreciated..

Edited by Justincase, 06 November 2010 - 08:13 AM.
Edit

#65 saemc

saemc

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 186 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 03:59 AM

Sorry to jack your thread here!!..I just had this idea and was going to blas it before it left or went stale in my mind.;)..
Sassafras..Makes a great tea!..Can be used for maig semi-synthetics..Can be used as an antiseptic!!..I believe it is the Safrol which is the antiseptic?..Either way,in theory,i bet a spray could be made from a strong tea batch for its good nutes and baddie killin properties!?.
I have a friend says he has found ways to isolate diff alkoloids and claims its a wonderful plant as i have alway thought!.;)
I will talk with him and start a thread if nportant?.If not,i might have to hijack this one again?.:)
Please except my apologies!..Just sick of Trich here too!!

#66 Justincase

Justincase

Totally Noob!

• Expired Member
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:11 AM

Sorry to jack your thread here!!..I just had this idea and was going to blas it before it left or went stale in my mind.;)..
Sassafras..Makes a great tea!..Can be used for maig semi-synthetics..Can be used as an antiseptic!!..I believe it is the Safrol which is the antiseptic?..Either way,in theory,i bet a spray could be made from a strong tea batch for its good nutes and baddie killin properties!?.
I have a friend says he has found ways to isolate diff alkoloids and claims its a wonderful plant as i have alway thought!.;)
I will talk with him and start a thread if nportant?.If not,i might have to hijack this one again?.:)
Please except my apologies!..Just sick of Trich here too!!

I thought Sassafras was another name for Safron, wrong, I am not familiar with it.

I would rather people posted any positive results in using Cinnamon here. The wise thing to do is , Do it, Document it, Prove it, Post it. Avoid all the carry on and energy expenditure in running a thread dedicated to convincing people, instead of how it should be, Easy. I dont really see the point on embarking on a whole new thing if this one works fine as anyone can see. But you know, if you really want to do it, make a thread Seamc, this one is strictly for Cinnamon and perhaps Bee pollen. No harm done tho.
Peace

Edited by Justincase, 06 November 2010 - 08:24 AM.

#67 Justincase

Justincase

Totally Noob!

• Expired Member
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:36 AM

Been a long time coming but heres the outcomes.

I transferred mycelium wedges (from my electrolysis thread) to a sub I made using maize flour, wood shavings and verm plus filtered cinnamon juice in place of water.
I made the sub too wet! So the mycelium took a long time to grow at all. I emptied two packets of cinnamon into the sub to help dry it out. It did the trick, perhaps a little too moist but the mycelium began to grow and all was well. the Mycelium wedges came from my electrically treated Mycelium wedge which was originally contaminated. No sign of contams on the sub for around three weeks, the sub was exposed to open air twice daily. I got too cocky and placed mycelium from my originally contaminated plate, which had been growing mycelium which had also been exposed to open air and in some places had grown a little Trichoderma. I had been covering those with dabs of cinnamon but spore still managed to come with the new mycelium transferral to the cinnamon coated sub. ( After coating the sub with the two cinnaom packets I had shaken the tub it was in vigorously, so it coated all materials, it represented a square tub of giant coco pops basically) .

Anyway, cut a long story short, the sub never grew contams, exposed Mycelium did. And that is an obvious thing too.Because mycelium is not cinnamon, so the sub is protected but as long as mycelium grows beyond that sub, it is no longer under the protection of the cinnamons antifugal/bacterial abilities, derrr.

I am still going to experiment with cinnamon as a fine casing layer in the future, I believe this is where it may come into its own. Cheers

#68 Bluelegs

Bluelegs

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

I can't speak for cinnamon oil, I don't doubt it would damage mycelium at full strength, all I know is a while back I had two tubs break out with trich and cobweb mold at the SAME time on both, small spots all over, very small but STILL!!, I had just obtained instructions(that I had little faith in) to boil a teaspoon of cinnamon per cup of water for a short period, roughly 10 seconds to release actives into solution. I poured this solution liberally on both containers ALL over every bit of mycelium. I expected for death to come soon to these two poor cakes, but what'da know, the next day the bits of trich and cobweb mold couldn't even be seen, I could see where they had been, but they were gone. I did repeat this the next day, or the day after(don't remember) and ended up fine. I might add it was powdered high grade "saigon cinnamon" I used, though I doubt this matters too much, but it has given me the motivation to attempt a substrate with cinnamon included as an experiment, but that was my experience anyway, cinnamon tea at those concentrations were a cure for trich and cobweb mold. Just obviously don't pour it on there hot :) I've been surprised that there has been so little interest in experimenting with certain herbal antimicrobials. I believe cinnnamon has sulfur, not just one essential oil we're discussing, as well as this mulling spices have been used for wine and cider to kill off "bad" microbes while not messing with strong strains of yeast. I would bet money that among the mulling spices, perhaps cloves we might see some potential. Also Turmeric is most definetely antibiotic, is of great interest in universities currently and was discovered by the ayeurvedics thousands of years ago. At any rate, I will stop going on, but CINNAMON TEA IS OF VALUE FOR CONTAMS and DESERVES further study.
  • Xerces and Justintime like this

#69 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• OG VIP
  • 10,693 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

Interesting.

Where'd you get those instructions from (i.e. were they posted online or was a word of mouth thing)?

Anyway, seems like a good contender for a Dunk v2.0 tek; I can see using a low concentration of essential oil as a preventative for regular dunking and higher concentrations for likely or confirmed outbreaks, or something like that.
  • kcmoxtractor likes this

#70 I_am_OK_R_U?

I_am_OK_R_U?

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

This is a very interesting topic for me since I have some issues with Trich ATM. Is there any difference between Cassia & Cinnamon? All of my powdered cinnamon is technically Cassia...

#71 Pilzkopf

Pilzkopf

Der Pilzreich F├╝hrer

• Expired Member
  • 487 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:52 PM

Unfortunately, this thread was not around quite long enough to have what we would call definitive results, as far as supporting mycelium of psilocybin containing mushrooms.

That being said, putting a bit of cinnamon (or something with similar essential oils, like Cassia) on a trich infection *will* keep it from sporulating into the air, and *may* kill the trich.

• Justintime likes this

#72 Xerces

Xerces

Embedded Spirit of Love & Power

• Expired Member
  • 963 posts

Donator

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:34 PM

I can't speak for cinnamon oil, I don't doubt it would damage mycelium at full strength, all I know is a while back I had two tubs break out with trich and cobweb mold at the SAME time on both, small spots all over, very small but STILL!!, I had just obtained instructions(that I had little faith in) to boil a teaspoon of cinnamon per cup of water for a short period, roughly 10 seconds to release actives into solution. I poured this solution liberally on both containers ALL over every bit of mycelium. I expected for death to come soon to these two poor cakes, but what'da know, the next day the bits of trich and cobweb mold couldn't even be seen, I could see where they had been, but they were gone. I did repeat this the next day, or the day after(don't remember) and ended up fine. I might add it was powdered high grade "saigon cinnamon" I used, though I doubt this matters too much, but it has given me the motivation to attempt a substrate with cinnamon included as an experiment, but that was my experience anyway, cinnamon tea at those concentrations were a cure for trich and cobweb mold. Just obviously don't pour it on there hot :) I've been surprised that there has been so little interest in experimenting with certain herbal antimicrobials. I believe cinnnamon has sulfur, not just one essential oil we're discussing, as well as this mulling spices have been used for wine and cider to kill off "bad" microbes while not messing with strong strains of yeast. I would bet money that among the mulling spices, perhaps cloves we might see some potential. Also Turmeric is most definetely antibiotic, is of great interest in universities currently and was discovered by the ayeurvedics thousands of years ago. At any rate, I will stop going on, but CINNAMON TEA IS OF VALUE FOR CONTAMS and DESERVES further study.

This experience if accurate, is very interesting basis for further reasearch on the topic. Maybe not putting a cake in a garbage bag and throwing in a dash of cinammon, but killing ocassional trich with it and leaving myc untouched? Sounds like a golden cure for mold.

This is a very interesting topic for me since I have some issues with Trich ATM. Is there any difference between Cassia & Cinnamon? All of my powdered cinnamon is technically Cassia...

Have you tried it yet? I'd be very interested to hear your personal experience with treating mold this way.

• Pilzkopf likes this

#73 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,547 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

This has nothing to do with Cinnamon as an bacterial, but may be of use in other areas. This involves anti mutangenity of cinnamaldehyde and vanillin in dna repair, I believe from the plant experiments that it vanillin  was a success to some dregree it had to do with causing rna to repair dna ,stopping mutations/ cure. This might ne used to prevent mushroom mutations causing deformed mushrooms, as well as an anti bacterial.

Anti mutagenicity of vanillin possible Dna repair. Had many papers but

I tried using both on breadseed poppys and the seeds with vanillin started and grew faster than the other seeds of the same pack. I sadly lost them all this year to excessive rain. lots more to say but another time another topic.

I gotta learn to post pics

#74 Justintime

Justintime

Justincase

• Free Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:55 AM

Yerp! This was the silliest thread I made heh.

#75 MLBjammer

MLBjammer

Shaman Pouch!

• 9,354 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:16 AM

Good to see you back.

• Justintime likes this

#76 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 491 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:09 AM

Yerp! This was the silliest thread I made heh.

Not quite, you just need another angle. There are tons of anti-microbial materials, some mycelium can cope with or ignore some not.

The issue will be, the same as me, you will need a lab, lots of time and money and controls to provide the burden of proof.

#77 Ferather

Ferather

Reverse Engineer

• Free Member
  • 491 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:11 AM

Here is a link to what I used to start testing tea leaf extracts.

• Justintime likes this

#78 Justintime

Justintime

Justincase

• Free Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:32 AM

Its been interesting reading what other people have to say about this.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!