Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Killing Trichoderma with Electrolisis. A short journal plus homemade device.

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 shroom_seeker

shroom_seeker

Still seeking...

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:48 PM

:hugs: Best of luck with your experiments. Most everyone (if not everyone) who has grown mushrooms have suffered from contaminations along the way. So, it is really interesting to see this type of work. I just don't want to see you get sick along the way; it might not be an option but like smiley said if you have a separate environment like an outdoor shed that could be a safer way to conduct future experiments. Science and technology is hard to come by and often controversial along the way. Take care and keep it up!

#62 Justincase

Justincase

Totally Noob!

• Expired Member
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:30 PM

:hugs: Best of luck with your experiments. Most everyone (if not everyone) who has grown mushrooms have suffered from contaminations along the way. So, it is really interesting to see this type of work. I just don't want to see you get sick along the way; it might not be an option but like smiley said if you have a separate environment like an outdoor shed that could be a safer way to conduct future experiments. Science and technology is hard to come by and often controversial along the way. Take care and keep it up!

Thanks again+, I wont be dealing with advanced contams in that way ever again, Only using the electrodes to treat early surface contams on tray subs.
Experimenting with contaminations at full growth isnt good. I am working on making this obsolete by way of organic antifungal/antimicrobial substrate additives.Cheers Shroom Seeker.

#63 Justincase

Justincase

Totally Noob!

• Expired Member
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 04:09 AM

I was going to post a link here from web pages, its about the effect of electricity on Mycelium but its already here on Mycotopia so heres the link.Ciao

http://http://mycoto...imulations.html

#64 Ethical

Ethical

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:31 AM

Cheers for that link justin(u need to remove one of the https in your link!) Can't wait to get into some preliminary testing on presterilisation with electroporation myself. Might start setting up some testing gear tomorrow! May our grows be clean and free from contaminations!
  • Justincase likes this

#65 Justincase

Justincase

Totally Noob!

• Expired Member
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:47 AM

[quote name='Justincase']
Having a bit of trouble with the link so am posting the PDF here , have a look if you have the time, it is intrigueing.Cheers.

Attached Files

Edited by Justincase, 18 November 2010 - 01:01 AM.

#66 Erkee

Erkee

Trolls'R'us

• Expired Member
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:20 AM

good diggin there justi:bow:!

#67 Justincase

Justincase

Totally Noob!

• Expired Member
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:57 AM

Cheers for that link justin(u need to remove one of the https in your link!) Can't wait to get into some preliminary testing on presterilisation with electroporation myself. Might start setting up some testing gear tomorrow! May our grows be clean and free from contaminations!

Thanks bro, sweet hey, feel free to post anything you find here if you like, may the force be with you.:headbang:

#68 Justincase

Justincase

Totally Noob!

• Expired Member
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:18 AM

good diggin there justi:bow:!

Thanks Erkee, I am interested to see one of these electrical pulse devices put together, I was wondering if car electrical parts could be used, such as the coil and rotor cap setup etc. Looks pretty simple, I know Ethical can put this together (nudge nudge Ethical) hehe Would be cool to have a smaller version. for trays to bring on larger harvests or fruit. Cheers

#69 Justincase

Justincase

Totally Noob!

• Expired Member
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:18 AM

I thought I may as well finish this thread off. It sort of links up with my other thread about Cinamon use in subs because I used the treated Mycelium in a cinamon coated sub. Well, it went like this .The sub I made up was too wet so the mycelium wedges took quite some time to do anything, during that time which was around three weeks they didnt grow any contams. Once the sub dried out alittle the mycelium began to grow quite well ,BUT I got a bit too sure of the ability of cinnamon to stop contams so I threw in a couple of mycelium isolations from the cinammon plate which originally had contams and it appears that trichoderma came with those isolations , up till then no contam was present.Clear as mud eh. At the end of all of this I myself am convinced that using electrically charging water to kill off contams on a solid piece of mycelium does work.
Water borne filamentation of separate hyphae are harder to treat with an electrical charge in water because the charged electrodes seem to pull the hyphae to them and they become stuck to the electrodes. In my opinion what is happening is that instead of the charged hydrogen molecules leaving the electrodes and traveling to the water borne hyphae, instead the hyphae being light of weight are attracted to the electrodes and stick to them .I am sure the hyphae cells carry an opposite charge to the electrically charged molecules leaving the electrodes. This is why it is easier to treat a larger mass of mycelium ,because it is not easy to break up in the water and the electrically charged molecules are able to travel through the water and are attracted to single nuclie cells which contain an electrical charge of an opposite nature which is common in many lower fungi (contams).

I have doubts this works on spore and the times I have tried it, I have been suspicious they were killed or at least damaged, perhaps they are single cell also, this is unknown to me.

I am finishing off my Cinamon thread now also.There is more of an explanation there as to how contams came from the cinnamon treated contam plate and the ability for use of cinamon Pro's and Cons.Cheers

Am very much interested in making Peroxide at home instead of buying it, i know that Peroxide reverts back to salt water when left in open air. Hypochlorous acid is what you get when you pass an electrical charge through salt water and the water becomes acidic. Alot of people are turning to hypocholrous acid as a safer non toxic cleaning agent that is more powerful than bleach and reverts back to h2o after a short period of time.

Edited by Justincase, 24 December 2010 - 09:47 AM.

• Erkee likes this

#70 Justintime

Justintime

Justincase

• Free Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:15 AM

I can't get into my old account because my old email was hacked a few years ago or more. But last time I logged in someone had messaged me to say they electrified a piece of infected mycelium and were able to culture from it. They used the technique I described above.
  • riseabovethought likes this

#71 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 3,848 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:43 PM

It'd be nice if you picked up where you left off with your experiments.  I know a lot of us really appreciate your work.  It gets my thinking -box gears turning.  Welcome back.

• Justintime likes this

#72 Justintime

Justintime

Justincase

• Free Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:11 PM

It'd be nice if you picked up where you left off with your experiments.  I know a lot of us really appreciate your work.  It gets my thinking -box gears turning.  Welcome back.

Wow, thanks ! Coincidentally I noticed a new post about electricity when I logged in today. Yes if I can have some cakes or a sub colonise I would like to fruit on a stainless steel metal grill with a small current passing through. I'd have the feet of the grill insulated. Perhaps housed in plastic bottle caps on a bed of perlight.

Someone messaged me to tell me they electrified a small piece of contaminated mycelium and it worked. They were able to revive it contam free and go on to save their strain so that was good to hear.

Sure I'll definitely post again here once I have cakes to fruit :) I remember your name also. Good to be back
  • riseabovethought likes this

#73 Justintime

Justintime

Justincase

• Free Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:48 PM

I just payed for one of these NE555 . Can control electrical pulse. Only one dollar. There are videos on the tube on how to use them. Very cool. I'll be using this.

Attached Thumbnails

• ne555-1.PNG

Edited by Justintime, 11 March 2017 - 01:50 PM.

#74 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• Free Member
  • 3,446 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:05 PM

Instead of trying to extract graphite leads from pencils I wonder if leads for a mechanical pencil would work? They could be bundled to make any size rod that is needed.
  • Arathu and Justintime like this

#75 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 4,369 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:17 PM

Instead of trying to extract graphite leads from pencils I wonder if leads for a mechanical pencil would work? They could be bundled to make any size rod that is needed.

The answer to that is definitively YES................so too do graphite gouging rods available from welding supply you just have to peel the copper coating off. 

I used pencil leads in my initial experiments with electrolysis and then moved to various other electrodes. Graphite electrodes make for the cleanest reactions......everything else seems to get dirty fast.....IME

Killer subject here......I'm watching............

A

Edited by Arathu, 11 March 2017 - 07:18 PM.

• Justintime likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!