Paradox
©
Fisana

MIGRATION COMPLETE

Just a note to let everyone know that the migration is complete. We *appear* to be active on the new server. There will be some tweaking I'm sure of it, but for now it seems we're back to good.
--> Please see this thread and apply your input!

Photo
- - - - -

What is the Best way to Pasteurize Coir?

coir pasteurize

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Dr.greenthumb23

Dr.greenthumb23

Jacks Smirking Revenge

• Free Member
  • 169 posts

Donator

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:02 PM

my jar is almost complete. just curious to find out the best way to pasteurize on a no budget scale.

#2 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Make Reality

• App Administrator
  • 12,323 posts

Donator

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:04 PM

Large pot of water
Pillow-case
Coir (add vermiculite if you wish)

Pasteurize at 160 F for 2 hours
Drain well
Squeeze case
Cool
Use

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Elixer at large

• VIP
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:11 PM

Pasteurize to be sure!

However, i've had good results just putting my brick of coir in a pot, pouring boiling water over it, putting the lid on, and buggering off for a while. Come back to fluff with a big fork and i'm ready to mix spawn. :thumbup:

#4 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Make Reality

• App Administrator
  • 12,323 posts

Donator

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:11 PM

Bonus stuff on pasteurizing:

Pasteurization:

Archives
http://archives.myco....tml?1107363398

Vaults
http://mycotopia.net...pasteurization/

Easy Oven-Pasteurization- 123

http://mycotopia.net...eurization 123)Pasteurization 123)

Start with a simple TEK like this one. It doesn't matter whether you are pasteurizing chopped straw or yard leaves or deer droppings , it's all the same. Just give it a good 2 hours , don't skimp out.

Simple straw-Pasteurization-method

http://mycotopia.net... TEK)Straw TEK)straw TEK)straw TEK)

Here's a simple method I use for pasteurizing large amounts of sub material , simply and easily. I've used this method to pasteurize all kinds of different sub materials , magikal , edible ...

How To -Pasturize- '50 LBS' Of Anything -- A Pictoral --

http://mycotopia.net/forums/pasteuri...-pictoral.html (How To (How To Pasturize '50 LBS' Of Anything -- A Pictoral --)pasturize '50 LBS' Of Anything -- A Pictoral --)

#5 Dr.greenthumb23

Dr.greenthumb23

Jacks Smirking Revenge

• Free Member
  • 169 posts

Donator

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:15 PM

thanks for the replies. i read you can use just coir as a substrate is this true?

#6 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Make Reality

• App Administrator
  • 12,323 posts

Donator

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:20 PM

Juries still out on pure Coir sub. It's only semi-nutritious and while it surely supports myc growth , fruitings of 100 % Coir subs are rare and largely unreported. There are however tons of threads/grows showing coir mixed with everything under the sun ... especially manures like Horse etc.

You can try and experiment and go straight coir (maybe add some verm) , or you can go with tried and true methodology and mix the Coir with nutritious additives , and fruit that.

Good luck.

Bonus read:

http://mycotopia.net...ssion-coir.html

#7 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• VIP
  • 12,210 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:33 PM

If you're going to spawn to coir as a rez-effect, add some verm if you can 50/50. If you have poo or worm casting and you're pasteurizing, mix it and make a bulk substrate.

I must be the lone coir sterilizer here :lol: I don't pasteurize coir or verm or casing mixes. I always sterilize it, then spawn to it or case with it.

#8 Bulk

Bulk

Plausibly Deniable

• Free Member
  • 2,038 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:38 PM

Coir is fine alone.
But if you've got verm, it would be a poor decision not to add it. It's no additional work and it'll fluff up your sub nice!
:headbang:

I do the exact same process for pasteurization of bulk sub as hyphaenation. Only I Prep my sub at night and hang the pillowcase above my sink over night to cool and drip to field capacity.
Works amazing with no guessing!

Perfect field capacity every time!
:headbang:

#9 Dr.greenthumb23

Dr.greenthumb23

Jacks Smirking Revenge

• Free Member
  • 169 posts

Donator

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:16 PM

seems like adding something to the coir is defiantly a good idea then. I do not the money to buy vermiculite will have to go with worm castings or something like that

#10 ragstoriches

ragstoriches

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 06:29 PM

I never pasteurize coir at all. I don't mix it with verm either. I do pasteurize verm when I use it by itself. I do this not for contam prevention but for pest prevention. For some reason if I use verm from an open bag I always end up with gnats all over my grow. As far as coir goes I use it often just hydrated with boiling water and not sterilized or pasteurized. It is an awesome sub and I would say that the jury has returned with a verdict of great sub. If you fruit it in just slightly cooler temps than usual you can avoid the mean green and get several flushes. Good luck.

#11 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Make Reality

• App Administrator
  • 12,323 posts

Donator

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:32 PM

It is an awesome sub and I would say that the jury has returned with a verdict of great sub.

Awesome ... got any pics of 100 % coir grows to share with the community ? Would be a nice addition.

#12 Nobody

Nobody

Weevil Wrangler

• Free Member
  • 902 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:18 PM

I've also had good luck w/ just hydrating coir w/ boiling water and spawning immediately after it cools. I like a 60/40 or 70/30 mix of coir/verm in a rez-effect tray, spawned 1:1. This is a good way to make the most of your spawn if you don't have bulk materials such as castings or manure. Here's a pint PF crumbled to a pint of coir/verm, second flush Z strain.

Attached Thumbnails

• PA080002.JPG
  • PA080001.JPG

#13 ragstoriches

ragstoriches

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:31 PM

Awesome ... got any pics of 100 % coir grows to share with the community ? Would be a nice addition.

I don't have a digital cam to upload pics from. I will try to use my friends phone to take a pick of my next coir grow to provide some evidence of coirs effectiveness. I currently have some spawn bags going and should have a new grow to show. I will use straight coir in a rubbermaid tote. I have had success with coir several times. I'll admit that coir doesn't hold a candle to horse poo, but if all you have coir it provides a very suitable replacement. The nice thing about coir is the ease of use. No hot water pasteurization or sterilization saves loads of time and aggravation.

#14 aroundTheCorner

aroundTheCorner

Myconaut

• Expired Member
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:30 PM

I've also had good luck w/ just hydrating coir w/ boiling water and spawning immediately after it cools. I like a 60/40 or 70/30 mix of coir/verm in a rez-effect tray, spawned 1:1. This is a good way to make the most of your spawn if you don't have bulk materials such as castings or manure. Here's a pint PF crumbled to a pint of coir/verm, second flush Z strain.

You need to buy the kind of coir that is sold as a substrate for pet lizards if you are going to skip pasteurization. OTH if you are using the kind of coir that you get in a nursery than you are going to get trich no matter what you do.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: coir, pasteurize

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!