• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#21 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:59 PM

i've been collecting those paper ads they send in the mail for a couple years now, ya know like grocery store coupons and shit like that ... always had the intention of growing mushrooms on it -- and now i finally have the spawn so i guess i will dip into that huge pile of junk mail :lol: i've also got a bunch of cardboard boxes that i want to recycle... so they will become mushroom food !!!!

i love that oysters will eat anything made from wood. what a great way to recycle junk mail & old boxes & your bills that you get in the mail and can't shred cause you don't have a paper shredder!!! :amazed: :amazed: :amazed: :amazed:

Edited by mydarling, 02 November 2010 - 11:13 PM.

#22 Nobody

Nobody

Weevil Wrangler

• Expired Member
  • 902 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:19 PM

i've been collecting those paper ads they send you in the mail for a couple years now, ya know like grocery store coupons and shit like that ... always had the intention of growing mushrooms on it -- and now i finally have the spawn so i guess i will dip into that huge pile of junk mail :lol: i've also got a bunch of cardboard boxes that i want to recycle... so they will become mushroom food !!!!

i love that oysters will eat anything made from wood. what a great way to recycle junk mail & old boxes & your bills that you get in the mail and can't shred cause you don't have a paper shredder!!! :amazed: :amazed: :amazed: :amazed:

Great idea, I was inspired and impressed by Lazlo's newspaper plastic bag oyster tek. I'm planning on using/modifying this method for oysters and reishi. Here's my reishi grow if you haven't seen it already, I've got two quarts of pcorn colonizing currently that I'll be spawning to a mix of newspaper/sawdust/wood chips when it's 100% and fruiting it in a grocery bag.

#23 kpop

kpop

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 03:51 AM

just came back to this thread, sorry about the confusion with names i cut and pasted the posters name above me in the thread, without realizing sorry.

#24 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:53 PM

Great idea, I was inspired and impressed by Lazlo's newspaper plastic bag oyster tek. I'm planning on using/modifying this method for oysters and reishi. Here's my reishi grow if you haven't seen it already, I've got two quarts of pcorn colonizing currently that I'll be spawning to a mix of newspaper/sawdust/wood chips when it's 100% and fruiting it in a grocery bag.

hi nobody (man i feel bad calling you that :lol: ), yes i have indeed seen your reishi grow and am really interested to see the fruits! we don't get reishi grows around here very often, so thanks for contributing yours to the community. :bow: sorry i have not posted in your thread yet, i'm bad about that sometimes, mods gotta read so many threads that sometimes we forget to post as well as read :D haha. i will be better about that!!!

& i too am going to basically be using lazlo's tek, but with various paper products i have laying around the house instead of just newspaper. everyone raves about this tek! :thumbup:

just came back to this thread, sorry about the confusion with names i cut and pasted the posters name above me in the thread, without realizing sorry.

it's all good :hugs:

OK ... so next post ... PIX!

#25 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:10 PM

:cacti::cacti::cacti::cacti::cacti:

6 days post inoculation

jars-day06-03-resize1000.JPG

i intentionally left some jars so the tissue was against the glass so i could see it .. most of them are now colonizing from somewhere in the middle

so here is 1 of the LC's ... all 3 look the same ..... rather suspect. :eusa_thin
the white stuff seems much more particulate than ropey wispy mycelium.
we'll see how they look in a few days i guess.
if they are contaminated, i'm not really sure where the contam happened, since i used distilled water, freshly cleaned jars, self healing injection ports, sterilized airport syringes, and PC'ed them for 30 mins! ..... i'm confident in my sterile technique so i'm kinda stumped.
i know i got some tiny particles of mushroom tissue in these jars when i dropped the larger chunks in, so perhaps those tiny mushroom particles are growing and that's why it looks sort of ... err .. "particulate."
not sure either way... could be contam, could be just funny lookin' .....

lc-day06-03-resize1000.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• lc-day06-01-resize1000.JPG
  • lc-day06-02-resize1000.JPG
  • jars-day06-01-resize1000.JPG
  • jars-day06-02--resize1000.JPG

• EYMAIOS likes this

#26 Nobody

Nobody

Weevil Wrangler

• Expired Member
  • 902 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:47 PM

I wasn't intending to snag a post out of you(even though they are welcomed!) or pull attention away from this thread, I was just throwing it out there because you mentioned using newspaper. I'll have some updates shortly, nothing earth shattering, but reishis are slow in their life-cycle(definitely no slouch in culture and on grain though!) and I figure might as well keep up with it even though it's not the most exciting news so far. My popcorn jars are almost 100% and my wood jars have shown promising growth as well. The original cake is approaching the month mark, so I'm hoping I'm w/i 10 days of fruits!

Those pcorn jars are looking great! Might consider a shake after a few more days to spread the love! :weedpoke: I gotta agree, the LC looks funky. Usually you'd be seeing fuzzing on the hunk of tissue and it just looks kinda "greasy" to me. Could be some bacteria? The oyster LC I attempted contaminated too...

#27 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:59 PM

This is a great thread. Awesome MD.

I'll chip in that with a cloning method like this its advantageous to use small jars for the first level of colonization , then you G2G to larger jars , only after thorough inspection for contamination ...

Larger jars take longer to colonize and have a larger contam vector than the small ones. Also Oysters grow many fold faster than Cubensis so if you were doing this with Cubes , smaller jars would come into play even more. Oysters are absolutely voracious , in fact they are not even vegetarian ... they are meat eaters ! They lasso nematodes , poison them and then consume their flesh.

The oyster mushroom is one of the few known carnivorous mushrooms. Its mycelia can kill and digest nematodes, which is believed to be a way in which the mushroom obtains nitrogen.

http://en.wikipedia....Oyster_mushroom

So, when you eat oyster mushrooms, you are eating higher on the food chain than you thought!

http://after-the-rains.blogspot.com/ (great article)

Oyster mushrooms and their relatives in the genus Hohenbuehelia (gilled mushrooms chockfull of thick-walled incrusted cystidia, with a gelatinous layer in the cap) have come up with a remarkable alternative—they devour nematodes. The mycelium of these species forms drops (in the case of Pleurotus) or adhesive knobs (Hohenbuehelia), which contain toxins that paralyze the nematodes (which are very small worms). The reaction of a nematode to these toxins is immediate—it stops wriggling and forms a simple target for the hyphae of the fungus. The hyphae hone in on the mouth of the nematode and enter the animal, which is at this point still alive. The hyphae proceed inside and devour the nematode from the inside out. Just like humanseat meat for their protein supply, so does the oyster mushroom “eat” the nematode.

http://www.mykoweb.c...ngalSnares.html

Bonus link: kinda related but cool !

http://www.livescien...s-predator.html

Edited by hyphaenation, 03 November 2010 - 09:54 PM.

#28 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:23 PM

:amazed: great info hyph, wow meat-eating mushrooms!! sounds like something from the twilight zone!!!! thanks for stopping by bro :hippie:

oh, also, good tip there about the small jars. my bad on not planning it out too well. i was just testing out TR's pcorn tek and ended up with a lot more grain than i expected (it expands > 2x when fully hydrated) so i grabbed a bunch of quart jars and loaded them up. and then all of a sudden i had a shitload of PCed pcorn sitting around begging to be inoculated with something, so i went to the store and bought some oysters to clone. all very haphazard, lol. i'm banking on this myc being as aggressive as i've read it to be and plowing through these jars in a week or two. keep your fingers crossed for me!

#29 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:26 PM

oh, and NB (can i call you that? sounds nicer than nobody) - don't worry about mentioning your thread. i'm glad you did, it reminded me to check it more often :D and yeah, i do plan to shake the jars after about 30% colonization. i'm gonna let the myc get a good hold on the pcorn first before i start messing with them too much. although, in the first pic, you can see that chunk of myc has already been knocked loose, from trying to get a good pic of it :lol:

#30 fucgubarn

fucgubarn

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 764 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 02:51 AM

Nice!
I like! :):)
Good luck!

#31 Psoulocybe

Psoulocybe

Hoopy Frood

• Free Member
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:18 AM

What hyph was talking about is what I take into consideration when doing clones. I use Fahster type grain jars... single layer of hydrated popcorn on the bottom of a jar.

These colonize very fast, and allow great visibility to catch contaminants.

Then to the qt jars they go.

#32 demetrius shardson

demetrius shardson

be informed, then choose.

• Expired Member
  • 654 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:47 AM

i dont know why it took me so long to click on this amazing and inspirational thread. thanks for putting it together and of course please keep em comin :)

#33 Nobody

Nobody

Weevil Wrangler

• Expired Member
  • 902 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:52 PM

What hyph was talking about is what I take into consideration when doing clones. I use Fahster type grain jars... single layer of hydrated popcorn on the bottom of a jar.

These colonize very fast, and allow great visibility to catch contaminants.

Then to the qt jars they go.

How long do you PC those jars for? I would assume a single layer of pcorn in a half-pint wouldn't take 90 minutes/15psi for proper sterilization?

MD, you can call me asshole if that pleases you, I'm flexible. :amazed:

#34 Psoulocybe

Psoulocybe

Hoopy Frood

• Free Member
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:19 PM

45 minutes

Fahtty Isolation

#35 Nobody

Nobody

Weevil Wrangler

• Expired Member
  • 902 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 11:35 PM

Thanks for the link, that's a great tek! I'll be using that one in the future for sure...

#36 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:19 PM

thanks for sharing the link psoul! been a while since i read that tek. and, even if you don't make myc syringes like he does in that tek, you could simply g2g that small quantity of grain to inoculate a lot more jars. i like :thumbup:

here's that 1 jar i've been showing, 10 days post inoculation.

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1289157570

again the other ones have been shaken so you can't see the concentrated colonization like this. it's spread out all over the jars and more thin/wispy. i will show pics of those when it's a little thicker and more interesting. :)

it's going a little slow, but that's cause i'm incubating at room temp in a tub in a closet, don't have any special incubators going on. i do put a heating pad on it for a few hours a day but i haven't been home that much lately so i only use it when i can keep an eye on it. think i'm gonna wrap the tub in blankets too, i know this will raise the temp in the tub by 1-3 degrees.

Attached Thumbnails

• jars-day10-01-resize800.jpg

• mushmonkey likes this

#37 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:45 PM

Looking good Clemmy! Even if it is going a bit slow.

Can't wait to see that jar really take off!

:bow:

#38 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:09 PM

day 14 update!

things are moving along really well now :)
been using the heating pad for a few hours every night ...
as you can see, the mycelium appreciates this :D

the jar on the left is the one i haven't shaken at all since inoculation.
the one in the middle is one i shook right away (but havent shaken since)
the jar on the right is the one i did OPEN AIR! NO CONTAMS !!!!!! :headbang:

i'm about to shake all my jars right now.

(the lava lamp is just for giggles, i love the lava lamp!)

Attached Thumbnails

• lavalamp-resize1500.jpg
  • jars-day14-02-resize1500.jpg

#39 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:29 PM

bwahaha i love shaking up jars.

now you see it .... now you don't !!!!!! :pirate:

jars-day14-05-resize1500.jpg
jars-day14-08-resize1500.jpg
jars-day14-10-resize1500.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• jars-day14-09-resize1500.jpg
  • jars-day14-06-resize1500.jpg
  • jars-day14-04-resize1500.jpg

#40 sporekid

sporekid

Mycomaniac

• Expired Member
  • 154 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:04 PM

Based on my experience i always put it on top of the grain. :pirate: good results!!!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!