#141 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:21 AM

nothing yet.
ye olde substrate sits and does nothing. :cry:
i spray it several times daily, it's in a shady spot ...

what else is there to do but wait?

#142 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:18 AM

The weather's been warmer lately, that's probably why they're not fruiting. Mine have slowed down considerably as well.

#143 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:54 PM

test test test

#144 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:57 PM

it's aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive! :teeth:

it took 2 weeks of sitting outside and another 8 hr cold water dunk to get any action, but i've definitely got some nice clusters now. they are SOOO much darker when they are grown in colder temps as they prefer. they're almost black! crazy.

i will snap some pix tomorrow after work. stay tuned. :thumbup:

#145 Nobody

Nobody

Weevil Wrangler

• Expired Member
  • 902 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:49 AM

Good job MD, way to be patient! I've always been impressed by the color differences in wild oysters between ones that flush during the Spring/Summer and the Fall flushes. I found a spot along the MS river w/ willows that had FAT "elephant ears" just before Thanksgiving a couple years back. They were the size of dinner plates and dark brown with an intoxicating smell, almost like milk chocolate!

#146 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:30 PM

the size of dinner plates, eh? i would love to grow something like that :D
maybe there's hope with this flush ....

i'm gonna go ahead and call this flush #2. the wimpy ass pins i got 3 weeks ago aborted, so they don't count :p today is the 73rd day after spawning. 3-4 days since the appearance of this pinset.

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1296865762

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1296865760

Attached Thumbnails

• pretzeljar-day73-09-resize650.JPG
  • pretzeljar-day73-08-resize650.JPG
  • pretzeljar-day73-06-resize650.JPG
  • pretzeljar-day73-12-resize650.JPG
  • pretzeljar-day73-01-resize650.JPG
  • pretzeljar-day73-11-resize650.JPG
  • pretzeljar-day73-03-resize650.JPG

#147 Nobody

Nobody

Weevil Wrangler

• Expired Member
  • 902 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:53 PM

Wow, those are really dark! Looks like another solid flush.

Yep, they were so big they didn't even look like oysters. Unfortunately I didn't get a clone of them, but I know they'll come back year after year in this spot. If you can find willow trees, you'll find oysters...

#148 Scroto Baggins

Scroto Baggins

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 347 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:55 AM

Wow those pictures are making me hungry.... Great job MD:eusa_danc

Any update on this latest flush?

#149 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:17 PM

yes, i have an update. :cry:

they grew great for about a week, then dried up and died!
too much FAE ........... :horse:

the substrate block has been sitting in a small plate that i filled with water daily, and was also sprayed with water all over several times a day. being kept in a shady spot outside, with that million-hole bucket inverted over top. but it still dried out.

too much surface area exposed !!!!

not sure at this point if i wanna go for another flush, or chop it up into a million pieces and bury it outside at the base a tree. :eusa_thin i have plenty of spawn from this clone, plus some additional spawn that i cloned from one i grew on the last flush ... so i could just start over.

so, who wants to see pics of wrinkly dried up oysters? :lol:

#150 woodylover

woodylover

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 12:41 PM

nice!! i'm doing a similar thing from bought oyster,i think it's the same strain of you. btw i did a spawn mixing wheat grain,chopped with blender wheat straw,whole wheat ears and some paper toilet blended..it's quite airy and have a nice water capacity due to toilet paper..iput some mycelium chunks on top of the jar....we will see how it will go! :roll:

#151 gett

gett

Know Thyself

• Validating
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:21 PM

Great job MD, i read your post while being blown away. I just cloned some blue oysters from the supermarket and i want to give it a try.

Please tell me, on your first flush how much time did it took from spawning to 100% colonization and also from fruiting to harvest?
My temp now its 86F (maybe hotter within the next days) what impact do you think it will have?

:cool:

#152 woodylover

woodylover

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:06 PM

i have red somewhere that it's possible to do a clone LC just throwing a shroom steam into blender with h2o2 and soe honey give it a run..is it true? i did it yesta evening and there's some shroom pieces floating on top of liquid and some very looking mycelium oin the bottom,what do you think?would it to be good LC or hell contamined? i took the piece from store bought shroom

#153 woodylover

woodylover

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:56 PM

nice! i'm doing the same thing as you,colonizing spawns with bought pleurotus..i'm usind direcly a hybrid spawn made using straw,wheat ears,wheat seeds,cardboard pieces and toilet paper blended..it's very greed at 25C!

#154 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:23 PM

wow, thanks to all the interested topiates for bumping this old thread! i am very pleased to hear of more oyster projects going on. i myself have been swamped with other stuff so i haven't had time to do another oyster grow in the past several months, but as soon as this storm passes i plan to grow out many different species of edibles, and of course i will keep you all posted! :) :) :)

ok, as to the questions you posted ....

nice!! i'm doing a similar thing from bought oyster,i think it's the same strain of you. btw i did a spawn mixing wheat grain,chopped with blender wheat straw,whole wheat ears and some paper toilet blended..it's quite airy and have a nice water capacity due to toilet paper..iput some mycelium chunks on top of the jar....we will see how it will go! :roll:

awesome, sounds like an interesting substrate mix. can't wait to see how it turns out! :dance:

Please tell me, on your first flush how much time did it took from spawning to 100% colonization and also from fruiting to harvest?
My temp now its 86F (maybe hotter within the next days) what impact do you think it will have?

spawn to 100% colonization: about 9 days.
initial pinning to harvest: about 10 days.
keep in mind all these steps were done at winter room temp, approx. 65-70F.

i think 86F is fine for colonization, but MUUUUCH too warm for fruiting. oysters need colder temps, and lots of fresh air and humidity. i would bring that temp down to 60F if you could. (consider fruiting outside if your hosue is too warm.) even the relatively low temps temps i used in this log were too high, which i suspect is why they lost a lot of their blue color as they grew.

here's an excellent post i have bookmarked with growth parameters of several kinds of osyters: http://mycotopia.net...html#post741844 thanks papa smurf! :thumbup:

i have red somewhere that it's possible to do a clone LC just throwing a shroom steam into blender with h2o2 and soe honey give it a run..is it true? i did it yesta evening and there's some shroom pieces floating on top of liquid and some very looking mycelium oin the bottom,what do you think?would it to be good LC or hell contamined? i took the piece from store bought shroom

it may be possible, but i think your chances of contamination are extremely high without sterilizing that honey. also, you definitely need to dilute that honey in water (not h2o2) for an LC - honey alone has way too high sugar content, and h2o2 is definitely not a good growth medium for myc. so, dilute that honey to 2-6% in some water (the exact %age differs depending on who you ask), then sterilize it at 15 PSI for 30 mins, then toss in your stem tissue to that. i wouldn't even bother blending it up, that just introduces more chances to contaminate the tissue. you can just drop it in h2o2 for a few seconds before placing into your LC. remember to use an airport on your LC jar for FAE :)

carry on, myconauts!!!!! :headbang:

#155 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:25 PM

pretty cool md. i had trouble fruiting the blues due to 78 degree temps being the lowest i could get. they colonized very quickly. im about to attempt some phoenix oysters and more pinks soon. im gonna double the substrate and spawn ratios this next go round to hope for some better results. also the culture syringes are from 07 so lets see how it plays out. im getting the itch and i wanna eat some fruit lol..

#156 Old Tom

Old Tom

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:00 PM

Great stuff, MD. You have inspired me. I currently have an oyster grow in progress on paper, cardboard, junk mail, etc. If I only get one flush I'll still be thrilled.
I really wanted to see the animation so I did it myself. Don't know how to upload a pic so this is in my dropbox. I figure since you're a mod you can fix that since it won't be in my dropbox forever.
Thanks again.
Old Tom
Posted Image
BTW this was made from mydarling's images, not mine. Hit F-11 to view in full screen.

Edited by Old Tom, 05 July 2011 - 12:04 PM.
Clarify image source.

#157 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:53 PM

:cool: old tom, thanks so much for making that GIF!! it looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!! :bow:
unfortunately it's too large to upload to topia (max file size is 1.9MB) - do you think it could be resized?

do you have a grow log going? i'd love to see your progress!

#158 Old Tom

Old Tom

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:19 AM

Sure thing. I cut it in half. That should do it.

I did start a grow log but being a noob I messed up the grow by opening the spawn bag and taking pics every day or two. Of course that dropped the CO2 and stunted the vegetative growth. Starting over. No problems.

Old Tom

Edited by Old Tom, 15 July 2011 - 09:20 AM.
spelling

#159 Roasty McToasty

Roasty McToasty

Third eye squeegeed

• Expired Member
  • 573 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:17 PM

Wow mydarling,
this may be the best thread I've read on oysters to date!
Ive literally learned so much I wish I would've read this thread before my grow.
THANK YOU so much for your contribution.:eusa_clap:loveeyes::bow:

#160 Old Tom

Old Tom

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:23 PM

Oops. The image got lost. Trying to put it in here.
Old Tom

Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• md_oysters.gif

Edited by mydarling, 23 July 2011 - 02:46 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!