• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:22 AM

As Beast said, they eat grubs so if you spread insecticide in your yard to kill their food source, they'll move on.

That is a perversion of what I said. Though I did say that they eat grubs, I did not say to spread poison on your yard/garden. :thumbdown:

There's lots of very beneficial insects and organisms in the ground that are good for plant growth. Kill the grubs and you kill them too. Poisons often travel through food webs like any bad thing does, you're not just killing those grubs by spreading poison, the moles will eat the dead ones and predators will eat the moles.

I'm to tired to continue explaining the obvious, why am I awake at 4 am? This is a much more interesting puzzle to ponder. :eusa_wall

#22 narashima jaya

narashima jaya

ॐ jai shivshakti माँ

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:38 AM

i get moles really bad in my yard. i found that taking a kids pinwheels and putting a few in the yard by where they frequent works pretty good.. that and i got a black cat that just luvs to use them as chew toys.. he racked up an impressive kill count last spring :) the vibration from the pinwheel chases them off

#23 Ben Dover

Ben Dover

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:28 PM

That is a perversion of what I said. Though I did say that they eat grubs, I did not say to spread poison on your yard/garden. :thumbdown:

There's lots of very beneficial insects and organisms in the ground that are good for plant growth. Kill the grubs and you kill them too. Poisons often travel through food webs like any bad thing does, you're not just killing those grubs by spreading poison, the moles will eat the dead ones and predators will eat the moles.

I'm to tired to continue explaining the obvious, why am I awake at 4 am? This is a much more interesting puzzle to ponder. :eusa_wall

Seems like if the insecticides are applied wrong is when they cause harm to unintended things. I, and most people i know around here, have used them for many years and we're still ok :crazy1:

I guess if the organic solutions were cheaper (most don't work well if at all) and were effective then insecticides would fade out but... Castor bean oil is one of the things in a lot of organic mole/gopher repellent but it doesn't always work.

You use what your budget can handle. Organics solutions aren't usually cheap and who knows what spreading millions of nematodes on your yard will do (besides kill grubs). If you can afford it, give it a try. I have no first hand experience with them but people who sell it sure are proud of it.

Then there's always traps. Humane or not, they can be a bitch to mess with but thats just another choice for ya.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!