11 replies to this topic

#1 tersor

tersor

Chief Viking

• Free Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:06 AM

Hi!

I got some trichocereus cacti this summer. I noticed some of them had brown spots on them. I was thinking this was maybe some old healed up damageds caused by rot or something. The brown spots are randomly spread all over the cactis, not at the top.

But yesterday i noticed some REALLY TINY small red creatures. Maybe as small as 0.1mm. If i stare at them i can't see them move, but if i remember where some of the tiny small creatures stood and then leave for 10 minutes and come back, i can see that they have moved a wery short distance. The infistation isn't that bad, but they are defenately spread all over the cactis.

Does this sound like red spider mites? They move really slow and i can't see anything that looks like silk/webbing.

I have sprayed the cactis with tobacco and greensoap watersolution today and washed the pots and windowsill. Hopefully it will help.

Below is a picture of the brown spots, does this look like spider mite damage?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0281.JPG

#2 Mr Kush

Mr Kush

Wild Cactus Child

• Expired Member
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:23 AM

I'm not a pro when it comes to identifying bugs/insects....
unless you notice the spots increasing I would'nt worry about it.
The skin on trichs is very sensitive and does'nt react to well to most pesticides, expecially oil based ones.
what you used seems like a good choice, however if you do spray wipe it off very shortly after so the skin does'nt absorb it. That and it's a good idea to just spray a very small part first to see how the cacti reacts before soaking the whole thing:horse:.

Hope all goes well for you!

#3 tersor

tersor

Chief Viking

• Free Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:06 PM

Wash of the nicotine/greensoap solution? Btw, anyone know if theres a chance that the solution might mess up the production of mescaline in the cacti? Difficult question maybe.

Edited by tersor, 07 November 2010 - 02:56 PM.

#4 prism

prism

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 5,943 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:58 PM

Sounds like red spider mites... Id try spraying them with the 3 part spray they sell at big box stores. hit them with that stuff every other day for a couple weeks.

Keep em away from any indoor plants!!:weedpoke:

#5 tersor

tersor

Chief Viking

• Free Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:20 AM

Yep, its deffenately spider mite. :eusa_wall Bet they come from some of the plants in the back yard.

Found a spraycan in the garage with a remedy that is supposed to kill them. Gonna spray one cacti with it first to see if it doesn't harm it.

#6 tersor

tersor

Chief Viking

• Free Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:51 AM

Bought some Spidermite Controll on ebay, its fantastic!! Got rid of the mites after just one spray! But if you get it on your window its a pain in the arse to get away thou!

And got a 40 year old peyote now and some 10-20 year old ones, gonna post some pics soon :)

Spidermite Controll is oil based btw, but it says its all natural plant oil. Every tricho and lopho i used the remedee on half a year ago doesn't seem to have taken any damage what so ever :) I recomend this product.

#7 AmBe

AmBe

ubuntu

• Expired Member
  • 809 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:54 PM

good for just about everything insect or fungus

http://www.stylet-oi...d01f2c0677c3f50

#8 anne halonium

anne halonium

Trolls'R'us

• Banned Member
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:01 PM

we are into neem, it works........

#9 Theodore Blass

Theodore Blass

On vacation

• Expired Member
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:59 PM

I moved your thread into the botanicals section where it should get some more exposure.

As recommended above, I was suggest spraying with a diluted neem oil.

#10 Cereusly

Cereusly

Trichs..gotta catchem all

• Expired Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:07 PM

Doesn't look like red spider mite damage to me. Most red mites easily visible to the naked eye are not red spider mites. A lot of them actually eat red spider mites and their eggs. Red spider mites form a web around the cactus that usually picks up a lot of dust and is pretty obvious. They also usually congregate around spines and between ribs.

#11 lostintime420

lostintime420

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:30 AM

this combo has always worked for preventing infestation. ( you don't have to use both either one will work , use both for 2x strength )

mullein and marigolds in a spray bottle w/ water.

*non-sponsor link removed*

mullein is an antibacterial agent and repels many insects and animals.

marigolds also repels insects and mosquitoes.

Edited by Phineas_Carmichael, 21 August 2011 - 10:45 AM.

#12 tersor

tersor

Chief Viking

• Free Member
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 02:32 PM

When i'm all out of this spidermite controll i will try som neem oil or some of the things you guys have mentioned! :) I'm a bit curious of what kinda mites i have got as well. Even thou my cacti is behind glass the TINY red mites comes now and then, like noticed some again earlier this day.

I dont get any webbing at all and not totally sure what the damage they do is, nor what kinda mites they are. Did let them stay on some of my little yoteseedlings for a while and i think they started to shrivle up so i dont dare to just let them be. To live right beside the forest brings with it some ups and downs.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!