Thanks for sharing your dedication.

#22 Morgoth

Morgoth

Iluvatar

• Expired Member
  • 346 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:12 PM

woah this is awesome

I've always wanted to make honey but never tried. But this looks right up my alley

Bottle of acetone ----> into the freezer

:weedpoke:

#23 Dipole

Dipole

Legalize Cannabis

• OG VIP
  • 3,388 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:00 PM

I would imagine that plant material soaking in cold acetone in the freezer for a long time, say overnight, would not pick up any chlorophyll. It would be locked up in frozen plant material. All the cannabinoids would be dissolved for sure. Or do you think the current tek is extracting efficiently already?

Well I am going to try this tonight. I have this nice polypropylene lab bottle with screw on lid. I will weigh everything out and weigh the result. My triple beam will weigh to a 1/10th gram.

All I have these days is leaf. Maybe I can make some fortified leaf. :weedpoke:

Edited by Dipole, 18 January 2011 - 10:07 PM.

#24 Defiance

Defiance

Trainee

• OG VIP
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:33 PM

I would imagine that plant material soaking in cold acetone in the freezer for a long time, say overnight, would not pick up any chlorophyll. It would be locked up in frozen plant material. All the cannabinoids would be dissolved for sure. Or do you think the current tek is extracting efficiently already?

Well the thing about plant material in really cold acetone is that it isn't frozen. I think you might be surprised at what 0F acetone will pick up. I bet there would be chlorophyll in it for sure, simply because of the extraction time.

I agree that the extraction would probably pick up all of the cannabinoids though.

#25 Defiance

Defiance

Trainee

• OG VIP
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:57 AM

I think you guys are on the right track, the point I was just trying to make is that freezer temps aren't very cold for acetone.

I think a 10 min. acetone extraction over a dry ice bath would work a lot better for you Dipole if you want a long cold extraction.

I could have said that in the last post but, well :weedpoke:

Edited by Defiance, 19 January 2011 - 09:03 AM.

#26 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,904 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:05 AM

I did an extraction on buds and recorded beginning and final weights
Moondawg and white russian were used.

md 17.6g
wr 19.1g

yield
md 2.4g
wr 3.1g

% yield
md 13.3%
wr 16.2%

some pics of the white russian oil

wroil2.JPG

wroil4.JPG

wroil.JPG

Edited by kcmoxtractor, 04 September 2014 - 09:04 AM.

• TheObserver and TurkeyRanch like this

#27 miganders

miganders

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 359 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:40 AM

If i hadn't lost my beans i would so be doing this with my grow..

Btw, why are beans so expensive? I realize you loose some potency over it, but couldn't you just do a controlled pollination?

#28 gardenboy

gardenboy

Fr̸̡e͟a̡̧k̛

• Free Member
  • 184 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:47 AM

I've got a bunch of sugar leaves in the back of my freezer and want to give this tek a try.
Should I defrost the leaves or add them frozen to the cold acetone?

#29 Dipole

Dipole

Legalize Cannabis

• OG VIP
  • 3,388 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:52 PM

I've got a bunch of sugar leaves in the back of my freezer and want to give this tek a try.
Should I defrost the leaves or add them frozen to the cold acetone?

Unless the leaf is broken up enough to pack well for extraction, it will warm up before you can get it processed for soaking. Dried weed has practically no heat capacity. Freeze it back down when chilling the acetone.

#30 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,542 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:02 PM

kcmoxtractor, what grade of acetone do you use? The commercial stuff around here is scented with something to make it so that it is not good to inhale from a paper bag. Acetone in the early 1960's was pure and smelled fruity. Well I have wondered if commercial acetone worked or if technical grade was needed.
:weedpoke:

Are you thinking of plastic model cement aka airplane glue? I think there is some acetone in airplane glue but I believe the fruity smell is from the toluene. From Wiki: "...the name toluene was derived from the older name toluol, which refers to tolu balsam, an aromatic extract from the tropical Colombian tree Myroxylon balsamum, from which it was first isolated..." I went through a airplane glue huffing stage when I was a kid. It's a wonder I have any brain cells left. I made Sao Paulo glue huffing street urchins look like amateurs in comparison. Intense disassociative psychedelic but not worth the potential neurological damage. It does have a sweet smell and taste :drk:

#31 gardenboy

gardenboy

Fr̸̡e͟a̡̧k̛

• Free Member
  • 184 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

The leaf I'm using was frozen fresh and broke apart easily.
Had 500ml of Acetone and did 2 pulls with approx 200ml each
and one pull with the remaining 100ml which was added to the second.
First pull was gold, second and third were green.
Evapping now, will report back.

Edit:
After evap in a water bath,
the combined 2nd & 3rd pulls produced a green oil which after scraping formed a dark tar,
while the 1st yielded oil as above, with some turning into tar and the rest into powder after scraping.
Will test the good stuff tomorrow as I'm already a bit 'cloudy',
but the tar from the combined pulls isn't half bad, if a bit harsh.

Edited by gardenboy, 04 July 2012 - 12:17 PM.

#32 Dipole

Dipole

Legalize Cannabis

• OG VIP
  • 3,388 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

Are you thinking of plastic model cement aka airplane glue? I think there is some acetone in airplane glue but I believe the fruity smell is from the toluene. :drk:

I was not clear, that is for sure. Before I was turned onto water based aliphatic resin glue for building wooden model airplanes, I used Ambroid glue, and it used acetone as a solvent. Huffing acetone is bad, toluene is worse. They are not drugs, they are neurotoxins.

#33 digital_delysid

digital_delysid

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:54 AM

here's an idea...(good ol' highdeas lul)

what about freezing the acetone and trim/hash overnight, and then drop some dry ice in the acetone. stir it up and add trim/hash, let soak for 30-45 seconds, strain and see what happens.

my theory is the hypercold should lock out damn near all of the chlorophyll and maybe even some of the other impurities normally pulled with such an unselective solvent such as acetone

i might try this real soon :)

#34 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,904 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

here's an idea...(good ol' highdeas lul)

what about freezing the acetone and trim/hash overnight, and then drop some dry ice in the acetone. stir it up and add trim/hash, let soak for 30-45 seconds, strain and see what happens.

my theory is the hypercold should lock out damn near all of the chlorophyll and maybe even some of the other impurities normally pulled with such an unselective solvent such as acetone

i might try this real soon :)

"your" "theory" is the topic of this thread, and defiance has already suggested using dry ice as a way to lower the temps above.

honestly, i think y'all should give it a try before you start making suggestions on ways to improve it ;)

since i posted this, i have started pouring the acetone in, stir for 5 seconds, letting it settle for 10 seconds, then straining.
the acetone looks like piss or beer whenever you only let it soak for 15 seconds, as opposed to green koolaid when it goes for about a minute.

#35 Dipole

Dipole

Legalize Cannabis

• OG VIP
  • 3,388 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:24 PM

Well I don't know what the solubility vs temperature curve looks like for cannabinoids in acetone, but they generally have an upward slope and inflected upward too. This would suggest that one should expect the solubility of THC to decrease with temperature. So it would be best to operate at as high a temperature as you possibly can. −78.5 °C is pretty dang cold, THC may very well be insoluble at that temperature.

I recently did the cold acetone wash. The first wash came out straw colored, the second had a blush of green, too much. I evap'ed it down until dry and not smelling bad. Then I chilled the sap in its beaker and a bottle of recently scored pentane. I poored a little pentane into the dish and covered he dish and put it and the bottle back in the freezer. After a few minutes the sap is soft enough to stir back into solution. The green shit remained stuck to the dish. I decanted the straw colored tincture into a vial. I eye dropper some onto some bud. Suck a little air over the bud to evap the pentane and then do your thang.

Edited by Dipole, 08 August 2012 - 09:37 PM.

#36 MurCurY

MurCurY

I.Know.All

• OG VIP
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

what do you use to "strain" the trim off the acetone? stainless type pasta strainer? coffee filter?

#37 Dipole

Dipole

Legalize Cannabis

• OG VIP
  • 3,388 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

I used my trusty basket type coffee-filter/plastic-basket arrangement. A basket coffee filter in a small screen strainer would do too. The first runnings are the dirtiest and then filters clear, so catch the first runnings for a re-run. I think that was a run on sentence.

#38 mate0x

mate0x

st0ned

• OG VIP
  • 4,607 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

...since i posted this, i have started pouring the acetone in, stir for 5 seconds, letting it settle for 10 seconds, then straining.
the acetone looks like piss or beer whenever you only let it soak for 15 seconds, as opposed to green koolaid when it goes for about a minute.

Faster the better I have found, I just pour it straight through the trim. Not the best efficiency on solvent but damn the product is nice.
  • kcmoxtractor and TurkeyRanch like this

#39 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,904 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:02 AM

updates:

using a chest freezer can get the temperature lower,

which makes the quality of the end product better.

when you do the washes, if the acetone is yellow, separate

immediately and evap. the best quality comes when the

acetone is yellow, not green, after extraction.

• Juthro likes this

#40 MycoDani

MycoDani

Myco Chick

• Site Administrator
  • 9,862 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:21 AM

Archive material if it hasn't been marked already.

Thank you for this KC as I can get my hands on Butane so I'm going to do it that way.

But seeing yours has always stuck with me because the product looks so damn yummy my friend!

I will be trying this.

Mahalo~ Dani

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!