#41 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,904 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:26 AM

it is super yummy. IME the plant's terpenes are generally more soluble in acetone than butane.

diesel and citrus strains make great butane hash, but not so much on other flavors.

be sure and take pictures of your end product, i always love seeing the results!

• MycoDani likes this

#42 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,597 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:38 PM

updates:

using a chest freezer can get the temperature lower,
which makes the quality of the end product better.

when you do the washes, if the acetone is yellow, separate
immediately and evap. the best quality comes when the
acetone is yellow, not green, after extraction.

I agree with this totally, I tried this method out last winter. I did a couple of batches one I cooled the acetone in the freezer @ about 0*F and the other I left it outside over night @ about -17*F. I defiantly think the colder acetone is more selective and leaves out more of the stuff you don't want. Both batches were plenty good enough for me though, but I did prefer the one with the colder acetone.

The material I was using was all sub par crap too, shit that I would never have smoked. And while it didn't yield a huge amount, what it did yield was damn tasty. I figured I had nothing to loose by trying as I was going to toss the stuff anyway, I'm glad I didn't toss it. I have been very impressed with this method and would highly recommend it to anyone thinking about making their own oil.

It's a shame that I seldom have enough product laying around to use it, but when I do, cold acetone is my method of choice.
  • kcmoxtractor likes this

#43 FrmSpore2Siid

FrmSpore2Siid

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 129 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:04 PM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:12 PM

kocos said

Nice work man! I really have to make some honey one of these days. Do you think using ice cold IPA would be any different than using acetone?

I dunno if the solubility of the IPA changes with temperature
the way that acetone does.   

How does one find this information besides experimentation ?  Was under the impression that it freezing was more selective in making the alkaloids more available and the plant fats less soluable. I would wonder about hexane, diethyl ether, naptha, kerosene, gas maybe (doubtfully since its treated) things with similar carbon chains.

I would also think the purity of the starting soluvent (also residue left after evaporation) makes a difference (anhydrous / distilled) drying these soluvents as well as would also contribute to how clean your end product turns out to be.

Edited by FrmSpore2Siid, 30 September 2014 - 12:09 PM.

#44 MagicWaffle

MagicWaffle

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 126 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:45 PM

This is a very good idea to extract in a few weeks my clippings from cannabinoids :-). I wonder if I need 99.99% pharma acetone or just the small bottles cleaning acetone is just enough. You also don't say if you use dried or fresh leaves for extraction.

Edited by MagicWaffle, 30 September 2014 - 02:46 PM.

#45 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,597 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:24 PM

I used Acetone that was being sold in the paint section of a large box store (1 qt can), and my material was all dried.

Edited by Juthro, 30 September 2014 - 03:26 PM.

#46 MagicWaffle

MagicWaffle

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 126 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:18 PM

Most recipes prefer to bake the mary jane at 105 degrees celcius in the oven to decarboxylate cannabinoids to CBD/THC for higher bio-availibilty.

#47 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,597 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:30 PM

You certainly can decarboxylate if you would like to. I have also read that before but I have not tried it, so I have no first hand info I can share about that. I do know however that the way I did do it worked for me.

Peace,
Juth

#48 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,904 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:16 PM

This is a very good idea to extract in a few weeks my clippings from cannabinoids :-). I wonder if I need 99.99% pharma acetone or just the small bottles cleaning acetone is just enough. You also don't say if you use dried or fresh leaves for extraction.

either on both counts. frozen is the easiest to yield super high quality IME, but

room temp can yield the same result once you become a level 99 oil extractor

lol. seems like when i first started making it i had to really follow procedure to

get the highest quality, now it seems like i can fuck up every step along the

way and still get absolute grade oil. (oil grades are as follows- wax, shatter,

absolute, with wax being the lowest and absolute being highest)

i will say that dried material yields the highest IME, and i prefer the consistency

of the finished product to fresh extracted.

as for decarb, i never did it. you lose terpenes during decarboxylation, so i was

not really interested in using that procedure. the reason i used acetone instead

of butane was because it tasted better and wasn't as dangerous.

#49 tizoc4u

tizoc4u

Arragappa

• Free Member
  • 818 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 11:32 AM

So wich one yields more. Acetone or butane. Ive seen a real cool butane one in which you make holes on a mason jar lid, and depending on how much trim or crushed goods you have u fill with butane till the liquid slightly levels with your trim. Then you ssir you dont have a lot of time so u secure a coffe filter lid ready and you turn upside down till all your butane is filtered.

#50 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,904 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:12 AM

acetone has yielded better for me. you should stay away from

butane for several reasons, here is one-

http://skunkpharmres...ho-mystery-oil/

even though it is only present in small amounts, who knows how

quickly the body gets rid of those chemicals once ingested.

20% yield isn't uncommon from acetone if you have decent starting

material.

#51 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:52 AM

Yield isn't everything with oil. A dirty crappy extraction will "yield" a lot higher than a clean one, as you will be extracting lots of waxes and other non-THC products along with the oil. In a perfect extraction, both butane and acetone would yield the same, ie all the THC oil that was present in the material.

It also all depends on the starting material. If your running herb that has a 16 % THC content, any yield above 16% isn't productive.

Cold and fast, and under a vacuum if possible, that is the key to good oil no matter what solvent is used.
  • Juthro likes this

#52 I_am_me

I_am_me

Odderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 12:05 PM

acetone has yielded better for me. you should stay away from

butane for several reasons, here is one-

http://skunkpharmres...ho-mystery-oil/

even though it is only present in small amounts, who knows how

quickly the body gets rid of those chemicals once ingested.

20% yield isn't uncommon from acetone if you have decent starting

material.

Of course if you have a closed loop extraction system, you can run your Butane once through it and when you're distilling it to recollect, you're cleaning it of any of those contaminants. Butane is a perfectly fine as a solvent as long as you use the proper caution and follow the right protocols. Acetone oil isn't nearly as popular but if it were I'm sure you'd see someone somewhere proving that not all sources of Acetone are 100% clean either. When working with solvents it can be great if you can find one that you can distill yourself to clean up which Butane lends itself very well to if you have the right equipment. A very safe and reliable closed loop extraction system can be had or built for much less than one might think. 

This was the first thing that came up with looking for Acetone impurities: http://www.chromatog...%09%09&pageID=1

Not saying you can't find good acetone to use but contaminants in any solvent is always something to consider... 

Edited by I_am_me, 07 October 2014 - 12:13 PM.

• TurkeyRanch likes this

#53 GadgetGuy

GadgetGuy

~Resident Perv~

• Expired Member
  • 3,015 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:55 PM

Sooo, totally going to try this next weekend :tongue:

• kcmoxtractor and Juthro like this

#54 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:51 AM

Awesome gadget, good to see ya, hope your fall was bountiful.

Cold and fast, cold and fast!
  • GadgetGuy likes this

#55 GadgetGuy

GadgetGuy

~Resident Perv~

• Expired Member
  • 3,015 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:42 PM

Awesome gadget, good to see ya, hope your fall was bountiful.

Cold and fast, cold and fast!

Yeah, was actually thinking of cooling it for a short time with dry ice and trying it with the freezer method as well. Half and half from the same bag of trim. All my stuff is fresh frozen as I usually make bubble.... think I should dry it first or let it rip as it is? It is fairly well broken up but nowhere near "grinder" material so I think it might work out pretty well.

Strain with a paint strainer maybe? I read a lot on this last night and found about 3500 different ways to do it.

• TheObserver likes this

#56 TurkeyRanch

TurkeyRanch

Dancin' Deviant

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,930 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:07 PM

Dry material makes better oil from solvent, from my understanding. Any water in the process makes the end product more sticky, and less "shatter-esqúe". Dry ice is a good idea too, why not? Colder is better.

Strain with something that will allow the liquid to drain quickly first, to get the plant material out if the solvent right quick to avoid pulling chlorophyll and waxes, than a finer filter for residual particulate would be my best advice.

It all works, start with good material, and work quickly, and you will get great results.
  • kcmoxtractor likes this

#57 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,904 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:17 PM

How did it come out gadget? Got any pics or pointers after your experience?

#58 Shadowlord

Shadowlord

Shadowmancer.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,013 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:07 PM

Have used Acetone before and had great results. I got a better yield using warm acetone and then reducing, placing in the freezer to crash out the waxes. Using cold works well and gives a great product but left the stems of the glands on a lot of the leaf.

Working with this today, doing one batch with acetone and the other batch using naphtha with a water and activated charcoal wash.

Looking for Hyph's old thread on that but the search function doesn't seem to be operating very well.

Typed in this thread, as it is recent, and still got the " no results found " screen.

#59 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,904 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:16 PM

go to google and type-

site:mycotopia.net honey oil, cherry oil hyphaenation

and you should find it

• Shadowlord likes this

#60 Shadowlord

Shadowlord

Shadowmancer.

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,013 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:59 PM

I was able to turn it up but the good info was links in the thread and the links are broken. Will do some further searching. Have the current extraction going in a new thread.

Should have looked for chunky activated charcoal though. Will be straining for days. May have to let gravity do a lot of the work.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!