Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Wet Bubble: introduced during colonization or fruiting?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 my7k

my7k

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:11 PM

It's definite wet bubble. Mycelium-covered aborts are now oozing amber sludge.
(I'll add pictures for the hell of it. We all like pictures, no?)
Anyone know when my poor myc contracted wet bubble? Was the vector a needle/print/water/substrate or was it casing/open air/terrarium?
This wet bubble has got to go and I'm concerned because I used myc from one of those jars to make an lc (prior to birthing) and knocked two dozen other jars. So are those jars at a high risk for having wet bubble?
By the way - this was the first time I didn't sterilize my casing (verm) medium.
Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• 002.JPG
  • 001.JPG

Edited by my7k, 16 November 2010 - 11:18 PM.

#2 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,238 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:50 AM

Mycogone aka 'wet bubble'

Cause:
This disease is caused by the fungus Mycogone perniciosa, which like verticillium is found in soil.
Symptoms:
Young pin heads infected by Mycogone grow into shapeless lumps which have a velvety appearance initially and eventually start to break down when small amber droplets of liquid appear on the surface.
Can also appears as gray fuzzy growth on gills.

Source:
As with Verticillium soil may be primary source of infection
Spread:
infection usually occurs at casing. The disease is spread within a house mainly by water splash, on clothing, equipment or flies. Cross-contamination between houses can also take place.
Control:
As for Verticillium.

In most cases it is introduced at spawning/casing. Your LC should be clean, but you'll want to clean your fruiting area well before your next fungi project.

How did you prep your casing for your cakes? Is it just verm as your dec material? Is it coir/verm? Did you sterilize or pasteurize your casing?

#3 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,238 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:53 AM

Thanks for the photos. I may add them to the glossary link so others can view your cakes with wet bubble.

#4 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,707 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:57 AM

That looks kinda neat... but I dont want to grow it lol Sorry to hear about your cakes bro...

#5 copelandiaKidd

copelandiaKidd

I am

• Free Member
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 09:09 AM

what type of cake is that btw????? either thats oyster, or some serious overlay!!!!!!:rasta:

#6 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 10:06 AM

I've had good luck cutting the infected parts out of casings using ISO dipped spoons. The infection wasn't as bad and there was a lot more substrate there to fight it off, but all the tubs save one made a full recovery and flushed beautifully.

#7 my7k

my7k

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:35 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Freaky - that's good to hear. I have to be honest, I tried to be more relaxed this time and DEC'd right out of the bag on these six. I remembered hearing so much about how it's better than sterilization. Next time, strictly pasteurization or sterilization because now I have to soak everything in alcohol and Lysol. :dead:

Kidd - They're cubes. :eusa_shhh Mostly following the Chronic tek, I was out of town a number of days and I think the temperature fluctuated causing a lot of condensation? Does that sound possible? It was from cloud-like to that smooth, solid texture in a matter of days so I rationalized that away with temperature hahah..

Tasty - Yeah, one cake had the amber droplets earlier than the rest but I figured at that point the infection had developed far enough that it wasn't worth the risk. Now we all know for next time.. it's hard to get away without pasteurization! (But I'm glad yours worked out - if for some reason this happens again, that gives me hope in trying to revive them.)

#8 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,238 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:28 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Freaky - that's good to hear. I have to be honest, I tried to be more relaxed this time and DEC'd right out of the bag on these six. I remembered hearing so much about how it's better than sterilization. Next time, strictly pasteurization or sterilization because now I have to soak everything in alcohol and Lysol. :dead:

I know a lot of folks have straight outta the bag verm work for them. I sterilize all casing materials for extra insurance just because of contams like this and verticillium.

You'll also want to clean well before fruiting your next batch so the room and chamber are clean for next time.

Best of luck!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!