49 replies to this topic

#21 rocketman

rocketman

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,602 posts

Donator

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:14 PM

lol premature ejaculation as opposed to whisky dick!!! i like whiskey dick!! ya, this is going off to soon. where i live everyone has to take hunter ed so we did learn about hang fire and the waiting game.i've had other guns hang fire on me before and it sure sucks to be standing there waiting while a nice whitetail runs away!!! i think my hubby wasn't listening though about not ripping the round out of a gun right away -he's been lucky when his shitty rifle does this on him and the round hasn't gone off-yet.i won't even shoot his gun anymore because it goes click when it should go bang to often!
slam-fires are supposed to freak you out to,sks sometimes do that when the firing pin gets to dirty because the firing pin is free floating (brownells sells a spring loaded firing pin fix for this) and they stick causing the gun to fire like on full auto until the clips empties when you load the gun but i've never had one of those happen.its another case of a firearms manufacturer saving five cents.

What brand and type of ammo are you guys using Smiley?

#22 Nobody

Nobody

Weevil Wrangler

• Expired Member
  • 902 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:52 PM

The bottom line is that Remington sold millions of model 700 rifles that were known to be potentially defective. The original engineers that designed the rifle knew about the issue, but it was never fixed. It was a simple fix that was ignored. I agree w/ Beast in that the people using the firearms could/should have been more diligent in safety protocol, but sometimes when something goes wrong you aren't thinking clearly and shit happens. I will say that this isn't the only instance of a firearm having potentially dangerous flaws. A Winchester Model 12 shotgun will slam-fire occasionally, I've seen it many times. The SKS issue is well known and documented. Hang fires still occur, even with modern ammunition. Then you have complete ignorance, like when a small child was brutally killed in front of his parents and a large crowd of people at a gun show. Someone thought it was a good idea to let him fire a fully automatic MACK10. Obviously the kid couldn't handle the recoil and the gun continued to fire as it tilted back into his head. Simply terrible and completely preventable, it's common sense. Kind of like fixing an obvious problem like a firearm that has a tendency to go off unexpectedly...time and time again. A major corporation looked the other way when something undoubtedly needed changed. Whether it was to keep their reputation from being tarnished or to save a few bucks, it was wrong, plain and simple.

#23 Nobody

Nobody

Weevil Wrangler

• Expired Member
  • 902 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:05 PM

BTW, if you're looking into buying another rifle, I would recommend a Winchester Model 70. It's a proven rifle, extremely reliable and accurate. The new accutrigger is one of the best triggers on a production rifle. Savage also makes a good, affordable rifle. And you can't go wrong with Ruger, they make a great firearm. Although I wouldn't put one to my head and pull the trigger or slam the bolt shut, even with the safety on. :eusa_snoo "A safety is a mechanical device that can sometimes fail."

#24 iamsmiley

iamsmiley

the ice woman

• Expired Member
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 02:46 AM

i have been shooting federal power shok 130gr. i am trying to decide between a savage 111fcns or possibly a browning x-bolt.i was also considering Sako until i seen this....

Attached Thumbnails

• A-overall_damage_jpg.jpg

#25 rocketman

rocketman

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,602 posts

Donator

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:13 PM

You cant beat Savage for out of the box dependability, price, and accuracy. The only thing I dont like about the Savage models I shot is the trigger pull is really heavy, but that may be a good thing for others. Its also easily and cheaply fixed by a gunsmith.

The xbolts and abolts seem cool, but savage is the way to go for the most bang for your buck.....ooh thats like a double entendre and a pun!!!!. If you can afford a good Weatherby or barrett :) then its a different story. I dont think thered be much left of a deer after you hit it with a .50 cal barrett but they are awesome.

Your ammo seems fine btw.

I know each weapon has their own idiosyncracys. For example, a glock .40 does not like 180 grain balls. Glock as far as I know doesnt advertise this fact. Not only does your accuracy fail with the heavier balls, but the force needed and produced by these bullets is not enough for the gun to cycle properly all the time, and failure has occured according to the cop that taught my license to carry a concealed class. Ive owned 4 glock fortys and still have 3 of them. I never had the gun fail to cycle with 180s but dropping to 160-165g made my accuracy with them waaay better.

And after reading your post again its not a hang fire like beast said. I thought he chambered pulled the trigger then it went off. anyhow its all good info.

#26 iamsmiley

iamsmiley

the ice woman

• Expired Member
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:28 PM

the federal ammo i'm shooting seems fine,i'm sure its a problem with the gun.i have had the guns firing pin dent my primers lightly the odd time and not fire even after waiting a minute.i later went back to see the ammo to see if the primers weren't placed properly or at the right depth but that did not seem to be the case.i also inspected the end of the firing pin for damage as i hear this can also be a problem with remington 700's as well. i also inspected if there was dirt or residue of gun powder or oil on the firing pin and its housing in the bolt and things seem fine.i hear i'm to not leave a lot of oil on the firing pin spring area because with time and cold weather it can cause sticking.I have really tried to put a lot of thought and investigation into getting this gun to work reliably and safe because its such a nice accurate shooting gun that's gotten me and my hubby dinner on many occasions and i really like it other than these few rare instances that it has a screw up.

a Barrett .50 bmg sounds like a nice toy but at $5000 for the one i like + $3000 for a good scope then $5-10 every time you pull the trigger for the ammo, that ones going to have to stay on my wish list awhile longer! i did take a picture of a nice .50 steyr target rifle i was drooling over at a cool gun shop i visited though...rock your dentures!!! i think i'd have to get a nice TRG in .300 win mag. or .338 lapua or something to practice getting out to 1000 yards before trying to touch the other side of the world with a big .50 bmg. a little Later on that thought, i need a lighter gun first that works RELIABLY and accurately.i love those heavy sniper rifles but my arms don't after a few hours of deer stalking!

Attached Thumbnails

• 50 cal.jpg
  • bad ass moose.jpg

Edited by iamsmiley, 15 December 2010 - 05:37 PM.

#27 jakepet

jakepet

Briefcase

• Expired Member
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:07 PM

[quote name='Beast']There is nothing wrong with being the 'victim' of a firearms malfunction, especially if it is due to a fault of the manufacturer.

:lol: doubt you would feel the same if you were the "victim"

Might not be saying much of anything if you reached the "victim" statistic for said manufacturer.

#28 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:14 PM

My above quoted statement was in response to you saying this:

Imagine how bad the person holding the weapon feels and then to have to watch your friend or loved one suffer and die just so Remmington could save a few cents.

The person holding the weapon and feeling bad as they watch their friend of loved one suffer and die is there not because 'Remington saved a few cents' but because that person did not follow proper firearms handling safety procedure.

Yes, its Remington's fault the rifle is malfunctioning. But it is also the fault of the dumbass pointing his/her rifle at his friend or beloved, thus being directly responsible for the shooting of that person.

There is a difference between an accidental discharge, and an accidental discharge that kills someone because the person handling the firearm wasn't paying attention to what he was pointing it at.

#29 Nobody

Nobody

Weevil Wrangler

• Expired Member
  • 902 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:22 PM

That new Savage .338 Lapua is one bad mofo too! I believe the .338 has the longest recorded sniper kill at over 2 miles.

#30 rocketman

rocketman

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,602 posts

Donator

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:58 PM

I need to shoot some of the newer calibers. Seems like forever since I killed some tin cans.

#31 rocketman

rocketman

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,602 posts

Donator

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:15 PM

the federal ammo i'm shooting seems fine,i'm sure its a problem with the gun.i have had the guns firing pin dent my primers lightly the odd time and not fire even after waiting a minute.i later went back to see the ammo to see if the primers weren't placed properly or at the right depth but that did not seem to be the case.i also inspected the end of the firing pin for damage as i hear this can also be a problem with remington 700's as well. i also inspected if there was dirt or residue of gun powder or oil on the firing pin and its housing in the bolt and things seem fine.i hear i'm to not leave a lot of oil on the firing pin spring area because with time and cold weather it can cause sticking.I have really tried to put a lot of thought and investigation into getting this gun to work reliably and safe because its such a nice accurate shooting gun that's gotten me and my hubby dinner on many occasions and i really like it other than these few rare instances that it has a screw up.
a Barrett .50 bmg sounds like a nice toy but at $5000 for the one i like + $3000 for a good scope then $5-10 every time you pull the trigger for the ammo, that ones going to have to stay on my wish list awhile longer! i did take a picture of a nice .50 steyr target rifle i was drooling over at a cool gun shop i visited though...rock your dentures!!! i think i'd have to get a nice TRG in .300 win mag. or .338 lapua or something to practice getting out to 1000 yards before trying to touch the other side of the world with a big .50 bmg. a little Later on that thought, i need a lighter gun first that works RELIABLY and accurately.i love those heavy sniper rifles but my arms don't after a few hours of deer stalking!

The .300 winchester mag and .300 weatherby mag are fantastic deer rounds. Most deer taken in my state are via the lowly 30/30 because of the dense scrub and short shots due to the scrub. If I were hunting elk in say NM where there is mostly huge expanses of prarie Id look into that sweet .338winchester

I would go .300 win mag due to the cost difference between wby and win rounds. Ive read some of the short mag rounds have very impressive ballistics as well. Like the .300 wsm etc.

Yeah I was dreaming about having the luxury of a .50 caliber Barrett. They are awesome to say the least.

http://www.ableammo....ducts_id=118780 I bet the optics suck, but the price is right!

My favorite caliber for rifles has been and likely always will be the plain ol' .308 :)

#32 iamsmiley

iamsmiley

the ice woman

• Expired Member
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:41 AM

the 300 win mag is good and the 300 weatherby even better.i really want to go bug one of my neighbours to let me try a 300 min mag,i like the ballistics on those! i wished the gun stores around here would let you try some of the different guns and cartridges to get a better idea of what you might like to shoot.its hard to know what you might like if you can't try it and see what you can shoot well.so far the biggest round i've tried is 220 gr 30-06.i find noise tends to bother me more than recoil but would hate to buy a gun that i can't return if i'm not comfortable shooting it.i'm hearing that the .270 wsm is getting more popular and has similar velocity and energy to .300 win mag and feels about like shooting a 30-06.decisions,decisions. its nice to get a cartridge that's not to hard to find as i haven't learned to reload yet.

#33 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,402 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:45 AM

there is something very smelly about this whole story.

given the horrible reputation gun manufacturers enjoy, and the sue-for-anything mentality in the U.S. it is beyond my comprehension that Remington has not been sued into bankruptcy or put out of business by some governmental agency.

A hundred deaths? Sweet Jeezus! That ought to be enough to keep a million lawyers at work for a hundred years.

Something ain't right here.

I'm not debating the existance of the malfunctions, video evidence is video evidence and testimony by people like smiley , who clearly knows her stuff, have made me a believer.

Remington can't be so wealthy that they can intimidate the army of lawyers and government regulators.

#34 rocketman

rocketman

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,602 posts

Donator

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:14 PM

With that crazy stupid ammo shortage we had not too long ago a reloading die would be the ticket for sure.

If you dont like the 30-06 noise youre really not going to like the sound and recoil of a .300 win mag. To each his/her own, but thats why they make earplugs :)

I am very fortunate to have a dealer with a range who lets me shoot everything he sells....the used versions of course, but still everything from full auto m-16s to large rifle calibers. Of course he has to be the one selling me the ammo, but hell thats only right i suppose. You know how fast you can burn a $100 dollar bill shooting full auto :)

#35 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,402 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:03 PM

. You know how fast you can burn a $100 dollar bill shooting full auto :)

Ask a Marine! Those cats have no comprehension of fire discipline:amazed::bow:

#36 MagikF

MagikF

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 401 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:21 PM

Yeah, I've tried firing full auto in a range and that $100 goes down in a couple minutes haha. Worth it to try it once but definitely not regularly.

#37 iamsmiley

iamsmiley

the ice woman

• Expired Member
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:48 PM

With that crazy stupid ammo shortage we had not too long ago a reloading die would be the ticket for sure.
If you dont like the 30-06 noise youre really not going to like the sound and recoil of a .300 win mag. To each his/her own, but that's why they make earplugs :)
I am very fortunate to have a dealer with a range who lets me shoot everything he sells....the used versions of course, but still everything from full auto m-16s to large rifle calibers. Of course he has to be the one selling me the ammo, but hell that's only right i suppose. You know how fast you can burn a $100 dollar bill shooting full auto :)

ah,maybe it didn't come out right,i don't really mind the noise of a 30-06 unless i've been shooting a hundred or so rounds of high power with friends and my ears are starting to ring like church bells! but ears plugs are good when having a good old shoot out at the ok corral.

i went to the gun shop i got my 700 from but the nice manager i bought it from no longer works there.some new ass is the manager and did little to help.i was pissed off so i just sold him the gun back for about half what i paid for it since i see it as a better boat anchor or door stop than something i really want to shoot anymore.the manager said he'd send it to remington again to "get fixed" then he'd re-sell it.

i checked out the .270 wsm and some of the other magnums but when i realized i could get twice as many .270 win as opposed to the magnum for the money i think i'll just stay with the .270 win for now,i'd rather practice more!

well i was at the gun shop i checked out a few rifles;

savage american classic- i just didn't think i really liked the accu-trigger or as i've seen it called "the crap-u trigger" on some gun sites.

tikka t3-although its a good price and has a good rep for accuracy i couldn't get over its "cheese" factor,i thought it seemed really cheap and shitty but not to bad a lay out. plastic mag is even shittier to load fast and how longs a plastic mag release really going to last in the cold weather around here?

browning x-bolt- although a seemingly well built gun why do they put such a teeny tiny bolt handle thats super smooth and to small even in a womans hands ? although the magazine seemed nice some idiot put the tiniest little button to release it.if i'm hunting and its -30c i need to wear gloves and can't see this working out so well.

sako 85 finnlight synthetic/stainless-although after hearing about how these were blowing up for people 5 years ago because of a bad batch of barrels and guns that got recalled they don't seem to have had problems since.i really liked the smoothness, feel, trigger, magazine/ release and workmanship but not the price.i got a little windfall of money so i decided that i'd like one of these but when i told the gun shop to order me one they said i'd wait from 3 weeks to 4 months or so!! what? this gun shop is pissing me off with their poor customer service so when i go visiting my relatives for x-mas in a much bigger city i'll see if i can find one.

?decisions?

Attached Thumbnails

• 85_finnlight_etutukki.jpg
  • 85_finnlight_soft_touch_tukki.jpg

Edited by iamsmiley, 19 December 2010 - 06:56 PM.

#38 HyperSpaceMaggot

HyperSpaceMaggot

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:39 AM

I'd say the ammo

#39 MycoDani

MycoDani

Myco Chick

• Site Administrator
  • 9,862 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:42 AM

I do wish the would fix the trigger mechanism. I know in the News Doc they said Remington will fix it, but instead of a few cents it now costs almost 100$! Got to love inflation for a tiny piece of metal.

Why they did not fix it years ago is beyond me?? It's a great rifle and I wanted one but I would rather get a Golani instead. I do not want to have to pay more to get something new fixed.

#40 crimson binome

crimson binome

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:40 AM

this isnt the only problem remington has had. seen pics of their shotguns exploded as well. you couldnt give me a remington shotgun.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!